*** Official Oklahoma vs #8 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Anyone that went to the game report on noise at Hilton? Felt like end of 1st half and a couple times in the 2nd half it got LOUD. Seemed like it on TV at least

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
When he didn't sit last wk, I'm pretty sure he's not sitting. I'm guessing him and the staff have talked about it and he (Tamin) called go time.

No insider knowledge just a fan giving his own take.

Among other things I feel like this is staff will communicate effectively with the players' best interest for something so yeah it's easy to see how they'd make the best decision.

Imo it would be the same even if he weren't to play.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Ward, R. Jones, and King collectively average 60 minutes a games. There should be plenty of minutes for Watson even if TJ brings in one or two bigs.

I think TJ will do everything he can to keep Demarion. He has been in the system for two years and knows the expectations. Guys like him are critical to the team’s culture and teach the new guys what they need to do to get minutes.
He's the starting 3/4 next season.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
A lot of those wild drives and point blank misses were the result of OU's length and athleticism (imho). That's my point. Against a smaller and slower team (e.g. Iowa) they finish 90% of those bunnies.
Yeah I agree on a lot of the shots, but I just rewatched the first half and there were several examples where they just missed (this doesn’t include open 3s Jones and Momc missed, just inside shots).
  1. Ward missed layup at 14-minute mark (got offensive rebound and got fouled and made both FTs. So, no harm)
  2. King missed layup at 11:27 after nice pass from Lipsey
  3. King follow up dunk at 10 minute mark. Clanked off the back rim.
  4. Lipsey at 3 minute mark 1st half on a nice drive
OU had some good looks at 3 that they just missed too. OU and teams of their ilk are a tough matchup for sure, but I’d still rather play them in the tourney than an elite 3 point shooting team that is a little softer on D.

Last edited:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Yeah I agree on a lot of the shots, but I just rewatched the first half and there were several examples where they just missed (this doesn’t include open 3s Jones and Momc missed, just inside shots).
  1. Ward missed layup at 14-minute mark (got offensive rebound and got fouled and made both FTs. So, no harm)
  2. King missed layup at 11:27 after nice pass from Lipsey
  3. King follow up dunk at 10 minute mark. Clanked off the back rim.
  4. Lipsey at 3 minute mark 1st half on a nice drive
OU had some good looks at 3 that they just missed too. OU and teams of their ilk are a tough matchup for sure, but I’d still rather play them in the tourney than an elite 3 point shooting team that is a little softer on D.
It was kind of one of those things like what we do to people. You get sped up and also lack rhythm when the shots just aren't going down. It's human nature to try harder, which doesn't really work for the finesse act of putting a ball in a basket.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Anyone that went to the game report on noise at Hilton? Felt like end of 1st half and a couple times in the 2nd half it got LOUD. Seemed like it on TV at least
I was there and can attest to what you said. The first half was "meh" until the end, but that's not exactly shocking considering how poorly we were playing offensively. Not a ton to cheer about, but shout out to the fans for injecting some energy into the building because it was almost like everyone went "alright, **** this, go get em boys", and we went on that 9-0 run to end the half.

Then in the second half there were like back to back to back defensive possessions where the entire arena was on their feet. There was some terrific energy last night.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Milan has been on the struggle bus a while now. Hit the freshman wall maybe. Hopefully he can get over that hump, the offense really needs his very different skill set for optimal performance.

If they are going to make a deep run, they will need him to get back in the groove.
I also think opposing coaches have scouted Milan pretty well by this point. Feel like coaches are trying to get physical with him. Also, when he plays the 3, against opposing small-ball lineups he's matched up against a pretty tall, athletic wing.

But he's too good a shooter to stay cold for long.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I also think opposing coaches have scouted Milan pretty well by this point. Feel like coaches are trying to get physical with him. Also, when he plays the 3, against opposing small-ball lineups he's matched up against a pretty tall, athletic wing.

But he's too good a shooter to stay cold for long.
I think Milan is already ahead of many of the young shooters that I've seen in that he can shoot on the move, and he's already too much of a threat to leave alone out there to get many standing jump shots. The next step is to develop that instant shot that so many great shooters have later in their college careers where they only need an inch to get it off.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Why is anyone concerned with Demarion transferring. The front court clears out next year, he will get plenty of opportunities.
There are definitely minutes to be had. And guys like Watson and Momcilovic bring a lot of lineup flexibility as they can play the 3/4 spots. Combine with Lipsey, Gilbert, Cu Jones and Paveletzke there is tremendous lineup flexibility to go small or big.

And that's not even including a guy like Biliew, who if he develops, could play 3/4/5 at the collegiate level.

CRCySpy

Oct 16, 2020
Cedar Rapids, IA
There are a lot of variables here - such as transfers, big leaps forward by other players, redshirts etc. - but I had been thinking for some time how natural it would be for Watson to step into Tre King's role next year.

Their games are not identifcal but are similar. Watson is a bit quicker and springier and Tre has a more consistent mid-range game (and occasional 3pt daggers). But they're both junkyard dogs who do most of their best work on defense and score predominantly from close range. If Demarion could take a Lipsey-like step forward on his mid-range shot (and, ideally, on 3s), it's not hard to see him as next year's starting 4. Omaha could have something to say about that, certainly, and I guess you could got with 3 guards and Milan playing the 4 more, too.

Now the 5 position for next year seems a lot more unclear to me ...
Don't forget about JT Rock. He could be one-half of that 5 spot combination next year with a transfer portal player. Or one-third with Bilew in the mix for some minutes there too if TJ goes small.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Well.... Let's see. My Daughter came to Hilton to see Jamaal play when she was 3 months through about 18 months old and she is now 24 years old. That would have made Lipsey approximately -38 months to -22 months old when he was watching Tinsley. So... he got double exposure to Tinsley's greatness becuase.... technically he was two pieces of genetic material in two autonomous humans at the time. That is why he really absorbed the lessons so well.

If Jess said this I can totally understand. He is pretty sure that Washington crossed the Delaware during the time he was playing at Iowa.
That always reminds me of that Lyndon Johnson quote: "If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read: 'President Can't Swim. '"

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
This could very well be Houston’s undoing in the tourney as well.
Actually I think it's a concern for ALL of the big 12 teams in the dance. The general style of play and physicality that the conference plays with is unlike any in the country and "outside" refs will not be accustomed to the way it should be called.

I'd go so far as to say that it's already been a contributing factor (not the only one though) in some KU's early exits in past years.