*** Official Oklahoma vs #8 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
There are a lot of variables here - such as transfers, big leaps forward by other players, redshirts etc. - but I had been thinking for some time how natural it would be for Watson to step into Tre King's role next year.

Their games are not identifcal but are similar. Watson is a bit quicker and springier and Tre has a more consistent mid-range game (and occasional 3pt daggers). But they're both junkyard dogs who do most of their best work on defense and score predominantly from close range. If Demarion could take a Lipsey-like step forward on his mid-range shot (and, ideally, on 3s), it's not hard to see him as next year's starting 4. Omaha could have something to say about that, certainly, and I guess you could got with 3 guards and Milan playing the 4 more, too.

Now the 5 position for next year seems a lot more unclear to me ...

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
What Demarion is doing tonight is what I was hoping Omaha would be.
Well.... This is what I hoped Demarion would be last year. So.. maybe Omaha figures it out in the middle of his Sophomore season too. Watson looked kinda lost a lot last year as well and has really switched it up this year. I feel like his progress is about 6 months behind Ejim's similar rise to greatness. If he can keep on that trajectory, he will be a big help for a couple years.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Rob was shoulder checking dudes on those screens. I'm not shocked he got called for fouls.
yeah, he has to learn to anticipate the contact without leaning into it. I don't think he is trying to hammer guys (usually, anyway) but just leans into contact to absorb it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This was a great game. It showed just how resilient and tough minded this team is. We will play much prettier basketball, but we just wore out OU with our relentlessness. I love seeing Watson see the success he had last night. I think he has the potential to be really good and I hope he stays at Iowa State given he should have more opportunity next year.

What's also encouraging is OU had already seen ISU's defense and ISU was still able to find success any old way they could.

Add in that OU is a problem as a match up and all in all it was a highly successful night and what could be looked back on as a really important and underrated win.

*Of course if ISU gets beat in the first round of the tourney this will all be a waste of time and it's time to burn the program down and I'm never watching sports again until football August practice highlights of 'violent' lineman and receivers catching unguarded routes.

*/S because fun can't be fun.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Lipsey used to come to Hilton to watch Jamaal Tinsley play???
Well.... Let's see. My Daughter came to Hilton to see Jamaal play when she was 3 months through about 18 months old and she is now 24 years old. That would have made Lipsey approximately -38 months to -22 months old when he was watching Tinsley. So... he got double exposure to Tinsley's greatness becuase.... technically he was two pieces of genetic material in two autonomous humans at the time. That is why he really absorbed the lessons so well.

If Jess said this I can totally understand. He is pretty sure that Washington crossed the Delaware during the time he was playing at Iowa.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
You could tell ISU's guards were looking to open up from 3 last night but didn't have the look because OU's guards could disrupt without having to do much.

Dare I say I'm leery of a 1st round tourney game against a directional/mid-major team that has similar kinds of dudes that went there for playing time and can be a problem.

If I were to pick a 2-1 finish I'll take the loss at UCF, and win the last two in revenge vs. BYU and rubbing KSU's face in the dirt.

I'm not saying to throw the game (I think ISU can still win without him in a one game situation) but I wouldn't be upset if Lipsey sits Saturday if his injuries really are hampering him.

When he didn't sit last wk, I'm pretty sure he's not sitting. I'm guessing him and the staff have talked about it and he (Tamin) called go time.

No insider knowledge just a fan giving his own take.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Maybe a combination of Fish for strength and JT Rock for height?

Otherwise they gotta go find Jared Homan part 2 in the portal.
I'm hoping for one really good experienced big man in the portal (and that we keep everyone we have returning). Between Demarion, Omaha, Kayden and that big man (with Milan's ability to fill the 4 at times), I think we'd be an extremely tough team again.

1TwistedCyclone

Jan 16, 2024
Cedar Falls
I presume that as a trade-off for all the extra eligibility, Jess Settles now has to perform as an announcer for Cyclone games during a successful stretch of Iowa State basketball...

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Why is anyone concerned with Demarion transferring. The front court clears out next year, he will get plenty of opportunities.
Completely agree. With the expanded roll Demarion should have next season, I would be surprised if he transferred. Demarion should average 20 minutes a game next year with R. Jones, Ward, and King gone.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Why is anyone concerned with Demarion transferring. The front court clears out next year, he will get plenty of opportunities.
I hope that he doesn’t, but TJ is most certainly going to hit the transfer portal for at least one big. If he doesn’t next year could be rough. Watson surely knows this and could factor into a decision.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Well.... Let's see. My Daughter came to Hilton to see Jamaal play when she was 3 months through about 18 months old and she is now 24 years old. That would have made Lipsey approximately -38 months to -22 months old when he was watching Tinsley. So... he got double exposure to Tinsley's greatness becuase.... technically he was two pieces of genetic material in two autonomous humans at the time. That is why he really absorbed the lessons so well.

If Jess said this I can totally understand. He is pretty sure that Washington crossed the Delaware during the time he was playing at Iowa.
The who he watched at Hilton had me chuckling. I was waiting for him to drop a Hornacek reference.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
I hope that he doesn’t, but TJ is most certainly going to hit the transfer portal for at least one big. If he doesn’t next year could be rough. Watson surely knows this and could factor into a decision.
Ward, R. Jones, and King collectively average 60 minutes a games. There should be plenty of minutes for Watson even if TJ brings in one or two bigs.

I think TJ will do everything he can to keep Demarion. He has been in the system for two years and knows the expectations. Guys like him are critical to the team’s future success. They know the culture and teach the new guys what it takes to get minutes.

Last edited: