***Official Montgomery and Butler NFL Thread***

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
play calling for the bears wasn't even that bad. Mitch just made a lot of poor choices tonight.... There were plenty of rpo's or check downs that were open to the rb's that he just flat out missed.

Bears runningbacks had 11 carries total this game. That's terrible play calling when you have Trubisky throw it 45 times. What in the actual F is that ratio?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
play calling for the bears wasn't even that bad. Mitch just made a lot of poor choices tonight.... There were plenty of rpo's or check downs that were open to the rb's that he just flat out missed.
I saw David out in the flat multiple times with one defender to beat. That's the matchup you want mitch.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Bears runningbacks had 11 carries total this game. That's terrible play calling when you have Trubisky throw it 45 times. What in the actual F is that ratio?
Nagy seemed to be creative last year. He’s going to need to be to get Trubisky going. Their timing was horrible, but I assume it’ll get better. He needs to be used more like Lamar Jackson, otherwise put in Daniels.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
By NFL definition a sellout is in terms of their TV blackout policy.

"From 1973 through 2014, the NFL maintained a blackout policy that states that a home game cannot be televised in the team's local market if 85% of the tickets are not sold out 72 hours prior to its start time. This makes the NFL the only major professional sports league in the US that requires teams to sell out tickets in order to broadcast a game on television locally. Although nationally televised games in the other leagues are often blacked out on the national networks on which the game is airing in the local markets of the participating teams, they can still be seen on the local broadcast TV station or regional sports network that normally holds their local/regional broadcast rights. The league blackout policy has been suspended on a year-to-year basis since 2015."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_television_blackout_policies

In other words, by NFL definition, a sellout is 85% capacity. 96% > 85%

Nice job pointing out the NFL's Blackout policy. That still isn't a sellout.

The NFL doesn't require an in market team to have a sellout before it broadcasts a game locally. But given your other responses on this website, I can completely understand your confusion. Blackout policy in no way defines a sellout.

This is why I think a test is mandatory before individuals should be allowed to post.

Just because jdoggivjc thinks the purple crayon tastes like grape doesn't mean the rest of us should have to put up with his down syndrome ramble.

Last edited:

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

Yeah it's definitely skewed but Trubisky pulled had every opportunity to hand the ball off a few more times and he had plenty of wide open check down opportunities. Had he chosen to bite off yardage at 5 yard increments to the rb's like they did the last drive when they hit Cohen, they would've moved the ball much better.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
That game was terribly coached by the Bears on O. Regarding Montgomery - just heavily underutilized. I mean it's just weird how he gets a great catch for 27 yards and then he's pulled for numerous plays after that. Matt Nagy was so busy trying to fool the Packers D with substitutions that he never realized they didn't actually bite on it.

Then in the 2nd half, Montgomery gets in the game and just doesn't get used. Funny because a handful of times the Bears needed around 10 yards. Montgomery would slip past the D and be wide open - nobody on him for 7-10+ yards. Would have been easy first downs or very close. Instead, Trubisky opts to pass to guys being double covered everytime.

I really hope they see what I see on tape because they missed so many easy first downs for Montgomery. I think the Packers actually realized the Bears were being so terrible that they wouldn't even go for the wide open guy and the Bears didn't even realize it.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
That game was terribly coached by the Bears on O. Regarding Montgomery - just heavily underutilized. I mean it's just weird how he gets a great catch for 27 yards and then he's pulled for numerous plays after that. Matt Nagy was so busy trying to fool the Packers D with substitutions that he never realized they didn't actually bite on it.

Then in the 2nd half, Montgomery gets in the game and just doesn't get used. Funny because a handful of times the Bears needed around 10 yards. Montgomery would slip past the D and be wide open - nobody on him for 7-10+ yards. Would have been easy first downs or very close. Instead, Trubisky opts to pass to guys being double covered everytime.

I really hope they see what I see on tape because they missed so many easy first downs for Montgomery. I think the Packers actually realized the Bears were being so terrible that they wouldn't even go for the wide open guy and the Bears didn't even realize it.

This... case in point the interception in the second to last drive where he felt he needed to go deep and toss it up into triple coverage when he had guys open underneath.

• Agree
Reactions: cyence

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey

Trubisky is a one read qb. When he breaks the huddle he knows who he is throwing to before the ball is snapped. He is the next Ponder.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Love how the check down has suddenly become the most popular play on this board.

It was open when Davis was in too.. The packers guarded Cohen more closely out of the backfield but it was there. Trubisky simply went for the home run ball (and missed badly) way too many times.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Trubisky is a one read qb. When he breaks the huddle he knows who he is throwing to before the ball is snapped. He is the next Ponder.

I know and it's terrible to watch when you can see guys wide open. And Montgomery wasn't even the only guy who would get wide open.

I think the Packers know this and didn't even try. The only way Trubisky will look great is with great WR or playing a bad D. Otherwise he'll never learn how to make a read and do something different when a play breaks down.

• Agree
Reactions: NetflixAndClone

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
The usage of DM tonight was a ridiculous level of stupidity.

This is in a game where he had no fumbles. He didn't lose a yard running the ball. He didn't drop any passes. He tied for the longest reception on the team the one time they did throw it to him. He ran for no gain one time (out of 6) but the team puts in a receiver to run the ball on 3rd and one. Their scat back fumbled the first play of the game and had a REALLY bad drop. Their other RB was targeted 7 times, caught 6 for an average of less than 3 yards per reception. In the 4Q he didn't get a single hand-off nor was he targeted. David didn't touch the ball in the fourth quarter. They didn't even try to get it to him. It's just plain dumb.

Sirkruser

May 19, 2019
Indianola
They Could have utilized DM a lot more than they should of. Very disappointing was hoping to see DM get more carries and playing time than he actually did.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The usage of DM tonight was a ridiculous level of stupidity.

This is in a game where he had no fumbles. He didn't lose a yard running the ball. He didn't drop any passes. He tied for the longest reception on the team the one time they did throw it to him. He ran for no gain one time (out of 6) but the team puts in a receiver to run the ball on 3rd and one. Their scat back fumbled the first play of the game and had a REALLY bad drop. Their other RB was targeted 7 times, caught 6 for an average of less than 3 yards per reception. In the 4Q he didn't get a single hand-off nor was he targeted. David didn't touch the ball in the fourth quarter. They didn't even try to get it to him. It's just plain dumb.
This was when I knew that Nagy had no idea what he was doing.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
This was when I knew that Nagy had no idea what he was doing.

I told my wife in the first quarter that Nagy was the Packers best defensive weapon tonight. Instead of utilizing the tools that were working, it seemed like he kept digging for something to fool the Packers instead of just using what was working. The third and one, when they ran Patterson was mind boggling to me. You have DM on your team, but decide to use your speed guy up the gut? There is a reason Patterson wasn't a go to guy on the Vikings.

Really sucks because I am not a fan of the Packers, especially Rogers at all.