*** Official Kansas Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Per 100 possessions is as silly as per 40 when it comes to evaluating players Players who aren't full starters are routinely out of whack in their per whatever stats. Azubuike is scoring 32.0 points per 100 possessions on 76.5% shooting which on your scale makes him one of the greatest college hoopers ever. Incoming KU transfer Dedric Lawson averaged 31.8 points and 16.4 boards per 100 possessions last season for Memphis. Expecting Shayok to come in at or near first team All Big 12 based on faulty stat projections is a recipe for disappointment.

But who knows. There will be lots of interesting transfers in the Big12 next year. Should be a fun season. I think both our fan bases are already itching for next season to be here.

A lot of the evaluation of him being really good next year is coming from within the program. Many have said he is the best player on the team this year. I think sometimes different players thrive in different situations. Virginia doesn't really play on offensive system that takes advantage of players talents. He is a versatile player that could be an all Big 12 caliber of player.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Just to add to the analysis of Wednesday's game; I was there, and as always I am impressed with how Self teaches spacing to his players. The Kansas offense was as effective as I have seen from them this season. Their energy level was excellent, as well. And on defense, it was obvious Self wasn't going to let Wigginton and/or Jackson beat them - KU defended the three point line very well.

Mainly an outcome based on one talented team playing up to their capability against a young team still trying to mesh, and find their identity. I was proud of the Cyclones for playing hard right up to the end.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
This isn't true. Texas has two top 50 kids coming in.

Also looks like OU will grab Khavon Moore before its all said and done as well.
Uh, yeah it is. THT is ranked #31 on Rivals. The two Texas recruits are #40 and #48. Come on, man, you need to know where your own recruits are ranked.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
THT is criminally underrated by ESPN which throws the composite off by a LOT. If they would ever reevaluate him he should be better than the Texas kids.
THIS. With the inclusion of ESPN's ridiculously terrible rankings, the composites are pretty worthless. ESPN makes little effort to update their rankings over time.

I stick with Rivals; they probably put the most time into keeping their lists up to date.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
THIS. With the inclusion of ESPN's ridiculously terrible rankings, the composites are pretty worthless. ESPN makes little effort to update their rankings over time.

I stick with Rivals; they probably put the most time into keeping their lists up to date.

Is ESPN well respected for any of their recruiting info anymore? I don't think they are good at football either now. Rivals and 247 actually put in some work.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
I swear this is not an attempt to troll. What are you basing "Marial Shayok is a stud" on? All I can see is that in 3 seasons at VA, he never averaged double figures and never started even half if his games in a season. I mean, I know it is exciting when a plaher chooses your tesm as their destination but is there any reason outside of "because he chose us" to think he's so great?

Genuinely curious since I only saw Virginia play a half dozen times or do last year and Shayok never stood out as even memorable, let alone a stud.

1st Team All-Big 12 like someone said is an overly optimistic expectation. Which is fine because it's reasonable to expect Lindell to be in that ballpark next year. But describing Shayok as a stud is very accurate and he will be a fantastic complementary piece. You'll probably have a difficult time finding an immediately eligible grad transfer this spring I would rather have than Shayok.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
Virginia's system held him back offensively. Last year, Shayok averaged 28.7 points per 100 possessions on 44.5% field goal percentage. Compare that to Andrew Wiggin's one year at Kansas when he average 30.3 points per 100 possessions on 44.8% field goal percentage.

The biggest weakness from Shayok's game last year was shooting 33% from 3, but he shot 44% as a sophomore so the ability is there. If he gets just a little better at everything during this redshirt season he'll be first team all-conference.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/darius-thompson-1.html

Help Support Us

Become a patron