*** Official Kansas Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Royce White, all by himself, disproves that statement.

Regardless, I too am eagerly looking forward to what next year's team can accomplish.
Ha, true.
A long time ago we also had a team that included Georges, Morris, Thomas, McKay, Nadar, Burton (and Naz), all as upperclassmen.

They were the best since the Georges, Morris, Thomas, Naz, Hogue, BDJ, McKay, and Nader year.

But I do think our 9th through 13th guys will be more talented than we’ve had, for whatever little that’s worth.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Dang, this season almost can’t end soon enough. Not because the players aren’t playing hard, just hard watching all these injuries. I don’t remember a previous cyclone team that had this kind of injury bug like we’ve gotten this year. It’s really surprising the team has done this well all things considered.

Especially with this shallow of a bench and limited experience to start.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
I want them to play with urgency especially 10 points down with 3 minutes to go. Our offense sets didn't start until 15 seconds left on shot clock and that's just not okay. We play better when we speed up our offense. When Jackson tries to facilitate the offense, it's brutal. He look so lost out there. Jackson is a spot up shooter, not a PG, cannot create his own shot. When he sticks with spot up shooter role, he typically scores bunch.

Last Saturday, he continued his trend of being a TO machine at the end of halves and end of games. Lazy passes or just falling down.

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015
Some nights, you just don't have "it". I've seen it with veteran teams too. Often it just comes down to shot making. We missed quite a few open shots when they were there, and credit Kansas for the stretch when they weren't there.

Totally agree. I also give Self credit, making us play a half court game is not our strong suit. Our margin for error is razor thin. I have been impressed by the growth and wins when you consider the youth and injuries.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
We will be improved, but I see us more in the bubble category next year. I do think you could make a case that the 2019-20 season, we may be loaded when Lard/Wigginton are JR's and the talented FR class has a year under their belts. Even then, we may still need to land 1-2 more players for that year.

Next year I see us somewhere between 5th-8th in the B12. Hopefully we're on the right side of that midpoint.

I guarantee that our floor is on the high end side of that. Put me down for 2-6 range.

CloneInLA

Mar 7, 2017
I was actually pretty impressed with our play yesterday. We didn’t make shots which will always result in a loss against a team like Kansas and they had their way with us on backdoor lobs and getting to the rim, but I’m seeing a team that competed for 40 minutes. We’re a young team, we make a lot of mistakes, but as long as the guys continue to work hard, learn and keep listening to coach, we’ll make huge strides next year

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I have thought about whether next year's team will be the most talented they have had in terms of what their Rivals HS rankings were. I think it might be. I can't recall them ever having that many top 150 guys on one team. The closest might be the DeJean Jones year.

Wigginton 5 star #24
Horton-Tucker 4 star #31
Griffin 4 star #84
Lewis 4 star #116
Long 3 star # 131
Lard 3 star #143
Haliburton # 148

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I was actually pretty impressed with our play yesterday. We didn’t make shots which will always result in a loss against a team like Kansas and they had their way with us on backdoor lobs and getting to the rim, but I’m seeing a team that competed for 40 minutes. We’re a young team, we make a lot of mistakes, but as long as the guys continue to work hard, learn and keep listening to coach, we’ll make huge strides next year

That is what I saw as well. I thought both teams were locked in and competed hard. ISU had some mistakes from inexperience but ultimately it was that KU just hit a few more shots. Wigginton missed some open looks and he was short on them which is usually fatigue. He has been carrying the team as a freshman which is pretty difficult to do.

• Agree
Reactions: psyclone51

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I thought Kansas played poorly and we played worse. It wasn't a great game aesthetically.

Last season, we started running Morris off baseline screens and it helped loosen things up in the halfcourt. I'd like to see Babb give it a try. He should be able to use his athleticism and 6'5" frame to get into the lane off curls. He can either get to the hoop, hit the midrange jumper he likes, or (please, please, please) kick it out to open shooters/rolling big men.

Unfortunately, Wigginton and Jackson aren't great passers, so that might make it more difficult to run that action consistently. We were spoiled the last 6 years.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
We will be improved, but I see us more in the bubble category next year. I do think you could make a case that the 2019-20 season, we may be loaded when Lard/Wigginton are JR's and the talented FR class has a year under their belts. Even then, we may still need to land 1-2 more players for that year.

Next year I see us somewhere between 5th-8th in the B12. Hopefully we're on the right side of that midpoint.
You're not given near enough credit to Shayok. He's a stud. Adding Jacobson and THT with additional experience for all our other guys is going to have Iowa State in the 2-4 range.

I think having the Big 12 being incredibly good this year is making people think we are worse than reality.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Yes, I always err on the side of optimism, and I'll happily do that every time. It helps to be able to emotionally handle being wrong sometimes.
Or you could be emotionally able to err on the side of realism.

You and your emotions.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Some nights, you just don't have "it". I've seen it with veteran teams too. Often it just comes down to shot making. We missed quite a few open shots when they were there, and credit Kansas for the stretch when they weren't there.

I think last night the issue was defensive breakdown. ISU missed a bunch of 3's, but still shot nearly 49% for the game...that's pretty good. Too many breakdowns on defense leading to easy baskets for KU. Offense comes and goes, but tough defense can always be there. One of the commentators mentioned it last night towards the end of the game...when young players start struggling on offense, they often let up on defense too. The young guys have to learn not to do that.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
You're not given near enough credit to Shayok. He's a stud. Adding Jacobson and THT with additional experience for all our other guys is going to have Iowa State in the 2-4 range.

I think having the Big 12 being incredibly good this year is making people think we are worse than reality.

Yeah that’s the hard part to forecast.

If Shayok is a Kane level transfer and THT is an immediate impact guys like Wigginton, Morris, Niang, etc then we certainly could be more in the 2-4 range.

Plus we’ll have to see how the rest of the league shakes out. Some teams will step back, but teams like Baylor and TCU could improve. I think we’ll know more after we get to see some of the FR play in Cap City this summer.

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if we added another playmaker in the spring. Prohm isn’t stupid and he knows that it’s an arms race for talent in this conference.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I thought Kansas played poorly and we played worse. It wasn't a great game aesthetically.

I disagree with this. I thought Kansas' offense was highly efficient - especially in the second half. They defended well and took Jackson and Wigginton completely out of the game. I also agree with the poster above that said that they were smart to keep it to a half court game. No need to run a gun with us in Hilton when they are a much better half court team. I thought they looked like one of the best if not the best team in the conference last night - which hasn't always been the case this year.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone