*** Official Kansas Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
I have thought about whether next year's team will be the most talented they have had in terms of what their Rivals HS rankings were. I think it might be. I can't recall them ever having that many top 150 guys on one team. The closest might be the DeJean Jones year.

Wigginton 5 star #24
Horton-Tucker 4 star #31
Griffin 4 star #84
Lewis 4 star #116
Long 3 star # 131
Lard 3 star #143
Haliburton # 148

According to 247Sports, Shayok needs to be on this list as well. He was #120 in his class out of high school.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Yeah that’s the hard part to forecast.

If Shayok is a Kane level transfer and THT is an immediate impact guys like Wigginton, Morris, Niang, etc then we certainly could be more in the 2-4 range.

Plus we’ll have to see how the rest of the league shakes out. Some teams will step back, but teams like Baylor and TCU could improve. I think we’ll know more after we get to see some of the FR play in Cap City this summer.

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if we added another playmaker in the spring. Prohm isn’t stupid and he knows that it’s an arms race for talent in this conference.

I agree with this. We need a grad transfer playmaker (PG) this off-season. If we can add Kane type of player, we are going to be REALLY good. Always great to have more than one playmaker on a floor at same time (i.e. Morris & Kane, Horton & Tinsley, Blalock & Stinson).

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I agree with this. We need a grad transfer playmaker (PG) this off-season. If we can add Kane type of player, we are going to be REALLY good. Always great to have more than one playmaker on a floor at same time (i.e. Morris & Kane, Horton & Tinsley, Blalock & Stinson).
That would be Wigginton. Babb & Wigginton.
Plus, I think THT can be used similar to Kane. Obviously not the polish of a 4th year player, but hopefully similar skill set.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
You're not given near enough credit to Shayok. He's a stud. Adding Jacobson and THT with additional experience for all our other guys is going to have Iowa State in the 2-4 range.

I think having the Big 12 being incredibly good this year is making people think we are worse than reality.
I swear this is not an attempt to troll. What are you basing "Marial Shayok is a stud" on? All I can see is that in 3 seasons at VA, he never averaged double figures and never started even half if his games in a season. I mean, I know it is exciting when a plaher chooses your tesm as their destination but is there any reason outside of "because he chose us" to think he's so great?

Genuinely curious since I only saw Virginia play a half dozen times or do last year and Shayok never stood out as even memorable, let alone a stud.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I swear this is not an attempt to troll. What are you basing "Marial Shayok is a stud" on? All I can see is that in 3 seasons at VA, he never averaged double figures and never started even half if his games in a season. I mean, I know it is exciting when a plaher chooses your tesm as their destination but is there any reason outside of "because he chose us" to think he's so great?

Genuinely curious since I only saw Virginia play a half dozen times or do last year and Shayok never stood out as even memorable, let alone a stud.
Virginia's system held him back offensively. Last year, Shayok averaged 28.7 points per 100 possessions on 44.5% field goal percentage. Compare that to Andrew Wiggin's one year at Kansas when he average 30.3 points per 100 possessions on 44.8% field goal percentage.

The biggest weakness from Shayok's game last year was shooting 33% from 3, but he shot 44% as a sophomore so the ability is there. If he gets just a little better at everything during this redshirt season he'll be first team all-conference.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I disagree with this. I thought Kansas' offense was highly efficient - especially in the second half. They defended well and took Jackson and Wigginton completely out of the game. I also agree with the poster above that said that they were smart to keep it to a half court game. No need to run a gun with us in Hilton when they are a much better half court team. I thought they looked like one of the best if not the best team in the conference last night - which hasn't always been the case this year.

I'm probably used to seeing a Kansas-Iowa State game with loads of offensive talent. Not necessarily the case this season.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017

There have been reports from media that cover Iowa State that he has been the best player on the roster. You also have to remember Virginia plays at one of the slowest tempo's in the country, so that affected his numbers as well.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Heck, Virginia barely averages double digits.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Virginia's system held him back offensively. Last year, Shayok averaged 28.7 points per 100 possessions on 44.5% field goal percentage. Compare that to Andrew Wiggin's one year at Kansas when he average 30.3 points per 100 possessions on 44.8% field goal percentage.

The biggest weakness from Shayok's game last year was shooting 33% from 3, but he shot 44% as a sophomore so the ability is there. If he gets just a little better at everything during this redshirt season he'll be first team all-conference.
Per 100 possessions is as silly as per 40 when it comes to evaluating players Players who aren't full starters are routinely out of whack in their per whatever stats. Azubuike is scoring 32.0 points per 100 possessions on 76.5% shooting which on your scale makes him one of the greatest college hoopers ever. Incoming KU transfer Dedric Lawson averaged 31.8 points and 16.4 boards per 100 possessions last season for Memphis. Expecting Shayok to come in at or near first team All Big 12 based on faulty stat projections is a recipe for disappointment.

But who knows. There will be lots of interesting transfers in the Big12 next year. Should be a fun season. I think both our fan bases are already itching for next season to be here.

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Per 100 possessions is as silly as per 40 when it comes to evaluating players Players who aren't full starters are routinely out of whack in their per whatever stats. Azubuike is scoring 32.0 points per 100 possessions on 76.5% shooting which on your scale makes him one of the greatest college hoopers ever. Expecting Shayok to come in at or near first team All Big 12 based on faulty stat projections is a recipe for disappointment.

Bill Walton would like to stop by to provide you with a rambling and incoherent rebuttal. Please stand by.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Everything at UVA is based on defense, including how they run offense. It’s easy to see why a talented offensive player would struggle with that concept.

If you caught their tournament game with NC Greensboro (I think), he was a monster. He may not be 1st team as that’s asking a lot, but I’ll bet he’s on the all Big 12 teams somewhere, and between Shayok, Jacobsen and a talented freshman class joining a good stock of returning talent, we should be back at a tournament level.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: MartinCy and Cyclad

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Everything at UVA is based on defense, including how they run offense. It’s easy to see why a talented offensive player would struggle with that concept.

If you caught their tournament game with NC Greensboro (I think), he was a monster. He may not be 1st team as that’s asking a lot, but I’ll bet he’s on the all Big 12 teams somewhere, and between Shayok, Jacobsen and a talented freshman class joining a good stock of returning talent, we should be back at a tournament level.
Too add to that point of defense, even while averaging 8.9 PPG, he was their 2nd leading scorer.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Per 100 possessions is as silly as per 40 when it comes to evaluating players Players who aren't full starters are routinely out of whack in their per whatever stats. Azubuike is scoring 32.0 points per 100 possessions on 76.5% shooting which on your scale makes him one of the greatest college hoopers ever. Incoming KU transfer Dedric Lawson averaged 31.8 points and 16.4 boards per 100 possessions last season for Memphis. Expecting Shayok to come in at or near first team All Big 12 based on faulty stat projections is a recipe for disappointment.

But who knows. There will be lots of interesting transfers in the Big12 next year. Should be a fun season. I think both our fan bases are already itching for next season to be here.
You’re probably one of those ignorant KU fans that were complaining about the 3P line a few years back. Seems like you guys have come around to that aspect of modern basketball. Boo all you want, but possession based stats are no more silly than raw stats when comparing players across systems. Maybe you’ve heard of KenPom?

Sure, Shayok hasn’t shot it as well as we would like, but we’ve often seen players improve a little after a redshirt and under our encouraging coaches. His metrics are very similar to Wigginton, not in how, but in impact. Their usage is nearly identical, as is their per 100 possession scoring, with Shayok being slightly more efficient.

Since he may not be a shooter as much as he is a scorer, Imo it’s valid to wonder if there will be a little tug-of-war while figuring out how to play together. They both won’t have their current usage next year. hopefully that’s offset by defense and rebounding improvements.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

Chris Babb averaged 9 ppg when he came here, Lucious 6 ppg, Chris Allen 8 ppg, those players all were good players for us that improved their offensive averages coming to a better fit Iowa State. Expect the same from Shayok who is better suited for a fast paced offense. He will average more than 9 ppg and bring strong defense to the table. I don’t think we will need him to average 16 a game so I’m not worried. Guess you will just have to wait and see.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Chris Babb averaged 9 ppg when he came here, Lucious 6 ppg, Chris Allen 8 ppg, those players all were good players for us that improved their offensive averages coming to a better fit Iowa State. Expect the same from Shayok who is better suited for a fast paced offense. He will average more than 9 ppg and bring strong defense to the table. I don’t think we will need him to average 16 a game so I’m not worried. Guess you will just have to wait and see.
Yep. Like I said, I was just curious. It makes my eyes bleed watching Virginia play offense so that always taints my opinion of their players no matter how hard I try to avoid that bias. Joining a more uptempo team will at the very least be more FUN for Shayok. I doubt you could find more polar opposite systems that VA and ISU on the offensive end and maybe he'll bring some of that VA defensive knoedge with him.

I find the offseason roster building in college hoops to be almost as interesting as the actual games so it's fun for me to keep an eye on all the new folks coming into the Big 12. Always fun to see how the new pieces work together arounf the league.

It's more fun for me when ISU is a solid contender because of how involved your fan base is so I hope all the newcomers for next year pan out for you.

I am bummed that there aren't any big time recruits going to non KU Big 12 teams next year like we had with Bamba and Young. THT is the highest ranked recruit coming to a Big 12 team not named Kansas this year so most true impact newcomers to the other Big 12 contenders will be primarily transfers next season.

Can you tell I am avoiding the boring stuff I have to do at work today?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yep. Like I said, I was just curious. It makes my eyes bleed watching Virginia play offense so that always taints my opinion of their players no matter how hard I try to avoid that bias. Joining a more uptempo team will at the very least be more FUN for Shayok. I doubt you could find more polar opposite systems that VA and ISU on the offensive end and maybe he'll bring some of that VA defensive knoedge with him.

I find the offseason roster building in college hoops to be almost as interesting as the actual games so it's fun for me to keep an eye on all the new folks coming into the Big 12. Always fun to see how the new pieces work together arounf the league.

It's more fun for me when ISU is a solid contender because of how involved your fan base is so I hope all the newcomers for next year pan out for you.

I am bummed that there aren't any big time recruits going to non KU Big 12 teams next year like we had with Bamba and Young. THT is the highest ranked recruit coming to a Big 12 team not named Kansas this year so most true impact newcomers to the other Big 12 contenders will be primarily transfers next season.

I went to a couple practices this year and maybe he was just on when I was there but Shayok was the best player on the court both times

Reactions: MartinCy

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

This isn't true. Texas has two top 50 kids coming in.

Also looks like OU will grab Khavon Moore before its all said and done as well.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
This isn't true. Texas has two top 50 kids coming in.

Also looks like OU will grab Khavon Moore before its all said and done as well.

It will be interesting to see who Texas pushes out or lets go in their recruiting class. There were already 1 over before Jones got diagnosed with Cancer because he was for sure going to leave before that. Now he will be back so they have signed 2 guys over.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron