*** Official Kansas Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Another game of one guard playing very well and not enough scoring from others.
True. And we really don’t have any natural contingencies or ability to win in other ways besides our guards making shots.

We haven’t figured out how to manufacture points efficiently when the outside shot isn’t falling, nor are we the type to rely on defense.

Our frontcourt, including Talley, was almost enough. But 3-18 is just too bad to overcome, as is being out-scored 21-4 on fast breaks.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
I'm sure this has been discussed, but it sounds very possible that Soloman might have to shut things down this year and for sure he'll have to have surgery at some point.

Got to give this team credit for hanging in there through all of the ups and downs.
That sure would be disappointing, but if we end up not seeing any post season this year (and that's close to a lock now), then best to shut him down and get healthy. Man, the guys have been hit hard with injuries this year.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Babb played well, good to see him back.

I’m surprised and impressed that we played them that close with Lindell and Jackson shooting so poorly from the arc.

Our half court offense is terrible. We have no off-ball motion to get anyone open, and the lack of motion allows off-ball defenders to help off way too easy. Pick and roll game is weak, and a lot of this is execution IMO. We very rarely get close enough to the screener to get any use out of it, they do a hedge/quick double on the dribble guy, then the post does a lazy roll and they can recover and get him stopped. It’s frustrating to watch.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
It would suck to lose Young now, mostly for next year. He’s been developing well this last month. He already lost some significant development time last year.

Perhaps it’ll force us to use Talley as a mismatch four, which probably has merit of exploring even without injury.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It would suck to lose Young now, mostly for next year. He’s been developing well this last month. He already lost some significant development time last year.

Perhaps it’ll force us to use Talley as a mismatch four, which probably has merit of exploring even without injury.

I think we match up better that way with most teams, but Solo provides the post defense and Cam provides the post offense. It would suck a bit to have Cam as the only big in there as I think foul trouble would kill us. Still, Solomon's health is paramount, so whatever is best for his health for next year.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Even as early as final minutes of first half, something seemed uninspiring. ISU was playing fairly well, for the most part. I'm sure I felt a little like that since KU closed the half on a semi-run, but it was something else, couldn't put my finger on it. The bad stretch in second half was like an exaggerated version of whatever vibe I was getting right before halftime.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Even as early as final minutes of first half, something seemed uninspiring. ISU was playing fairly well, for the most part. I'm sure I felt a little like that since KU closed the half on a semi-run, but it was something else, couldn't put my finger on it. The bad stretch in second half was like an exaggerated version of whatever vibe I was getting right before halftime.

I think what we saw was a still quite talented Kansas team play inspired ball in a must win game for them. I also think that the guys looked tired. Shots were hitting the front of the rim and we were at times a step slow. Effort was good. I think the injuries , youth (freshman wall?),lack of depth and brutal schedule is starting to wear this team down.

• Agree
Reactions: psyclone51

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Next year's team is going to be loaded, maybe the most talented since 2000.

Unlikely. We will be improved, but there are a lot of areas where we need to take major steps. Specifically we will need to either improve are half court offense tremendously or have two guys improve their 3 point percentage. Need to have 3 players that shoot it above 37% and right now we have a single proven commodity in that area.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

They looked exhausted in those stretches. Maybe they got too pumped early and the adrenaline made them crash, or maybe it was the effects of playing too many minutes when Babb was hurt. Either way, Babb being back with his ability to get to the hoop will be important down the stretch to win some games.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
You need to take the "1" out of your screen name, it would be much more accurate.

I don't disagree with him here. It's been pretty much every other game all year with a great effort then a let down. By that logic, expect an inspired performance Saturday.

It's a trend that needs to be figured out before next season.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I don't disagree with him here. It's been pretty much every other game all year with a great effort then a let down. By that logic, expect an inspired performance Saturday.

It's a trend that needs to be figured out before next season.

Meh, our least experienced starter will have as much experience as our most experienced starter this year. The Hawaii tournament will be a tough test, but we shouldn't have half the team have to go half way through the conference season still trying to learn our system and adjust to competition at this level.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Did they say that on the radio or something?
Hope not, he’s played well lately and I’ve been impressed with his jumper.

Yep. I think he has torn cartridge. Steve says he’s tough but his minutes would b limited last night and depending on what happens he might have to sit in future games. He’ll need surgery.

For some reason his injury is more disheartening then any of them.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Yep. I think he has torn cartridge. Steve says he’s tough but his minutes would b limited last night and depending on what happens he might have to sit in future games. He’ll need surgery.

For some reason his injury is more disheartening then any of them.

Still had 12 pts and 7 rebounds, though it probably limited the way he could defend KU's big (and they left him on an island there- I get why, but that's a tough assignment).

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Dang, this season almost can’t end soon enough. Not because the players aren’t playing hard, just hard watching all these injuries. I don’t remember a previous cyclone team that had this kind of injury bug like we’ve gotten this year. It’s really surprising the team has done this well all things considered.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Next year's team is going to be loaded, maybe the most talented since 2000.

We will be improved, but I see us more in the bubble category next year. I do think you could make a case that the 2019-20 season, we may be loaded when Lard/Wigginton are JR's and the talented FR class has a year under their belts. Even then, we may still need to land 1-2 more players for that year.

Next year I see us somewhere between 5th-8th in the B12. Hopefully we're on the right side of that midpoint.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
I want them to play with urgency especially 10 points down with 3 minutes to go. Our offense sets didn't start until 15 seconds left on shot clock and that's just not okay. We play better when we speed up our offense. When Jackson tries to facilitate the offense, it's brutal. He look so lost out there. Jackson is a spot up shooter, not a PG, cannot create his own shot. When he sticks with spot up shooter role, he typically scores bunch.

• Agree
Reactions: pdxclone