*** Official IOWA STATE VS TCU Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Why would you not foul right away then? Once they get to half court it's a lot easier for this exact thing to happen once they get a full head of steam running down the court.. So tell me.. Why not foul?

And I actually watch a LOT of basketball. So please enlighten me.

If you foul right away then no time comes off the clock. You have to get some time off before you foul.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
This is really entertaining. I'm usually the one so mad I'll eat my hat after a loss like this it's refreshing realizing how silly everyone is getting this upset.

After being run off the floor by Iowa and getting beat at Hilton by one of the worse teams in Div1, I figured it was going to be another double digit loss. But TCU needed to shoot 50% from 3 and make a last second banked 3 to force OT. If we only lose by 15 to KU next game I'll take that as a win.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Ok so we don't want George playing in crunch time but yet the board is hooting and hollering for him to start? They came right from a timeout, it's on the player as they were just instructed what to do.

Of course it is... In that situation Conditt (as others have mentioned) probably should have been subbed out for a better perimeter defender.

But I digress, my point is more along the lines this is yet another 'execution' issue that we have to argue about. Those issues are piling up quickly.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
This game had a 98% chance of going to ISU w/ 8 seconds left in regulation

TCU was not in a double bonus. A foul puts them on the line w/ a 1 & 1.
They were down by THREE.

There is no excuse for NOT winning this game in regulation. ZERO

Yes...We lose our minds. This game was in the BAG. This was a ridiculous loss

inexplicable

You said the odds were 98% chance. That means there is a 2% chance of what happened and it happened. That's how statistics work.

• Creative
Reactions: psychlone99

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
They were supposed to foul just past half court, but bolton was screened and George wasn't close enough to the screener. That's not on Prohm, that's on the players not executing what was drawn up.

It is on Prohm. If you tell players to foul and they don’t, then you didn’t coach them properly or you don’t have their attention. Why was a dribbler able to get to a ball screen at half court? Foul should have been nearly immediate.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Care to explain the other times we look like we don't know what we're doing at the end of games under Prohm? Either Prohm is garbage at communicating or the players are intentionally not doing what he's saying then

Or they got caught up in the moment (over thinking) and didn't execute. This is mostly the cause of poor execution.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
If you foul right away then no time comes off the clock. You have to get some time off before you foul.
You can still take time off the clock and still foul before he gets passed mid-court. Dude isn't going to chuck one up from half court with 3 seconds left.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
No. I'd rather been in the hip pocket of Samual when he set the screen so he could hedge. If he fouled him at that point the TCU guy wasn't shooting yet. Plus if George was in Samuals hip pocket he could have alerted Bolton about the screen.
Do you think George was told that during the time out?

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I reported it so we'll see.

Coaches for most game related things are fair game.

Players really shouldn't be.

I'm probably being a 'snowflake' for recognizing that kids without frontal lobes sometimes don't do what we want, but this is the kind of stuff that makes people not want to coach or ref.

Coaches should be.....they get paid to be. I think however had they not lost that last game......this TCU game is just one in a long history(even with Fred)of nutsack kicks we know and love at ISU. But here we are.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
"hey foul the dude the minute he crosses half court". Pretty tough assignment