*** Official IOWA STATE Vs Miami Game(Day) Thread ***

PizzaTheHutt

Feb 6, 2014
Can't believe I watched that whole game and didn't pay attention to who was guarding Brockington. Was it mainly the same Miami guy? Or did several do it? Because while other teams have denied him plenty, I haven't seen anyone speed him up to the point he was this ineffective.
In most cases when he got the ball 2 Miami guys would hard hedge him and he would have to get rid of it. They took the scouting report blueprint that all big 12 teams used against us this year.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Can't believe I watched that whole game and didn't pay attention to who was guarding Brockington. Was it mainly the same Miami guy? Or did several do it? Because while other teams have denied him plenty, I haven't seen anyone speed him up to the point he was this ineffective.
Miami was able to use quick feet, and funnel him to the middle. Again, I thought they were the quickest team that we had played.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Mostly McGusty I think. Dude was a cold wind, a Cyclone killer.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
In most cases when he got the ball 2 Miami guys would hard hedge him and he would have to get rid of it. They took the scouting report blueprint that all big 12 teams used against us this year.
When you're as limited as we are and teams can zero in on one guy like that, someone else (or numerous someones) is going to have to step up. Hunter did that against LSU, Gabe against Wisconsin. There were opportunities tonight but the margin for error for a team like ours is so thin, and we way exceeded that with all the misses.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Obviously not our best game tonight, but Miami had a lot to do with that.

I'm not predicting them to beat Kansas on Sunday, but they're going to be in it to the end.

• Dumb
Reactions: mynameisjonas

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Any time ISU is eliminated from NCAA tournament, I’m bummed … regardless of seed, circumstance, expectation. Who wouldn't want those seasons to continue as long as possible?

But I assumed this team would hit a tournament ceiling/wall at some point - upside wouldn't be greater than our flaws.

It could have happened in R64 or R32, but it didn’t.

I'm glad we got to go on that ride (and the turnaround regular season leading up to it).

Even so, it's still a bummer to be done :) :confused:

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
2 or 3 of offensive rebounds in the 2nd half turned into made 3's by the Canes, right when ISU was trying to make a run. Those were killers.
I counted 5 such situations in the game. Each one when it felt like we were on the verge of taking the lead or cutting to one possession. Hats off to them - we slowed it down and played our style, but they made shots when they needed to. We just couldn’t tonight.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Tj going to have to make some tough decisions asking people who made good contributions this year to move on, but I would gladly roll with Jaz for another year.
Honest question here. Not looking to be a d**k or start a fight. Who do people think TJ has in the hopper that he’s ask guys like Jaz to move on?

If our seniors leave we take a huge step back next year. It’s Hunter, Grill, Tristan (who I would not be surprised if he transfers our), Rob Jones, and Tre King. 3 freshman + Walker snd Jackson off the bench. Walker would literally be your biggest body off the bench.

I am in the camp that says there is zero probability he asks Jaz to move on. We simply cannot afford to.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Miami’s quickness was something this group hadn’t really seen this year.

Tech, Kansas, etc were big physical and athletic, but the scramble d they played, and the speed of their offense was different.

I thought Moore’s long 3 from about 28 feet, after the offensive rebound on his miss on the first long 3, got Miami settled. We had cut the lead to one to start the second half, and he took what appeared to be two terrible shots, that second one falling got them back on track.
Agree. This is when I felt like it really wasn’t our night.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
I've been impressed with the improvement from Jones. Maybe with an off-season to get stronger (and work on FTs) he could he a nice interior player. I might prefer him at a 4 instead of the only post player on the floor though.

But you're right that we need to be looking for another post player or two. I'd imagine that they'd be able to market Hunter's passing skills as a reason for an offensive post player to look at ISU.
If Jones is our best big next year we’ll be lucky to be in the NIT. He was recruited to be an emergency big after Foster and Conditt. There is a reason he went to Denver. Love the effort he gave this year, but he is who he is. Left a good 6-8 points in the table tonight.

CaptainClutch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 1, 2014
If Jones is our best big next year we’ll be lucky to be in the NIT. He was recruited to be an emergency big after Foster and Conditt. There is a reason he went to Denver. Love the effort he gave this year, but he is who he is. Left a good 6-8 points in the table tonight.
We have Tre King and Tj will do work in the portal. We will be fine.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
I am sorry to break it to people, but we’re going to be in for a rough ride next few years if TJ doesn’t kill it in the portal and land a big time class for 2023. I am hoping a few guys take their COVID year.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
We have Tre King and Tj will do work in the portal. We will be fine.
Is King a 5? I've thought of him more in the Kunc/Enaruna mold. If he can play the 5 consistently I'll be less concerned, but I also agree with @twincyties that there has to be at least one guy brought in to play the 5. I appreciate Jones and think he's absolutely improved as of late, but also don't think people realize how... mostly unbelievably bad his offensive numbers were most of the season.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Honest question here. Not looking to be a d**k or start a fight. Who do people think TJ has in the hopper that he’s ask guys like Jaz to move on?

If our seniors leave we take a huge step back next year. It’s Hunter, Grill, Tristan (who I would not be surprised if he transfers our), Rob Jones, and Tre King. 3 freshman + Walker snd Jackson off the bench. Walker would literally be your biggest body off the bench.

I am in the camp that says there is zero probability he asks Jaz to move on. We simply cannot afford to.
Jaz is a good defender, can hit the 3 ball from time to time and gets hustle rebounds, you don't let guys like that walk.

Culture is important. Jaz comes back.

You have 2 guards coming in as Frosh, you may have a transfer guard come in from Cedar Falls (or elsewhere) So a guy like Tre Jackson may get even less playing time.

Walker and Jackson could end up at a place like Murray State to play with Prohm there.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Jaz is a good defender, can hit the 3 ball from time to time and gets hustle rebounds, you don't let guys like that walk.

Culture is important. Jaz comes back.

You have 2 guards coming in as Frosh, you may have a transfer guard come in from Cedar Falls (or elsewhere) So a guy like Tre Jackson may get even less playing time.

Walker and Jackson could end up at a place like Murray State to play with Prohm there.
Agree. Jaz made a huge difference this year. Anyone who thinks otherwise does not understand college basketball.

If TJ goes out and recruits over him I’ll br the first one to applaud him. I just don’t see that kind of Calvary coming.

My guess is that IB, Conditt, Enaruna, and Gabe all leave. We are seriously thin next year if that happens.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Is King a 5? I've thought of him more in the Kunc/Enaruna mold. If he can play the 5 consistently I'll be less concerned, but I also agree with @twincyties that there has to be at least one guy brought in to play the 5. I appreciate Jones and think he's absolutely improved as of late, but also don't think people realize how... mostly unbelievably bad his offensive numbers were most of the season.
Agree. I don’t think King is a true 5. More a 4.