*** Official Iowa State Season Thread ***

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
And if you had a good team, he would be a good reserve guard that could come in and play a hard 8-10 minutes.
I'm not sure I see this, what contributions does he make? Can't shoot, constantly beat off the dribble, fouling machine, no ability to score at the rim or mid-range, poor rebounder, limited vision and passing skills, low basketball IQ, undersized. Would some of these improve around better players, probably, but I don't see it for Tre.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I'm not sure I see this, what contributions does he make? Can't shoot, constantly beat off the dribble, fouling machine, no ability to score at the rim or mid-range, poor rebounder, limited vision and passing skills, low basketball IQ, undersized. Would some of these improve around better players, probably, but I don't see it for Tre.
He can shoot. He showed it last year in Big 12 play when he shot about 38% from 3. With a better team he would be getting a lot more open looks. And a reserve that comes in and gives you 8-10 minutes a game doesn't need to be a stud. Harris is undersized, not Jackson. He doesn't need to be a good rebounder. He doesn't turn the ball over. You also have to remember he missed a ton of time due to injury. He is a good defender and with a good defensive coach I think he would be great defender.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I'm kind of torn on this. I do think we have some good pieces. None of them have been used correctly and Prohm certainly has failed to assemble a group of guys that fit a specific mold or style of play. It's a collection of skinny athletic dudes with actual basketball skills ranging from bad to raw. He has also failed a lot of these guys in their development as basketball players. Are guys like Walker, Dubar, and Blackwell actually any good? Has Prohm let down guys like George Conditt and Tre Jackson in terms of helping them improve the weak areas of their game? Would this team have looked any better with a competent point guard this year? I'm not sure there's a confident answer to any of these questions. Long story short, I guess I'm OK with whoever wants to come back and help the team out this year under a new regime. On a similar note, I don't think losing anyone from this team would be very detrimental at this point either.

It’s pretty common for players to get better under a new coach. I think the rebuild will be a lot easier than people think(depending on who stays/leaves).

Reactions: NWICY

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I mean keeping a few games close is awesome. But they didn’t win one conference game. Your splitting hairs with “getting uglier”.
The problem was in closing not in keeping it close. We were 0-11 in single digit games. No coffee for you!

Reactions: joefrog

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
The attempt disparity really is quite something. ISU just plays passively on offense, which gives a big edge to the defenders because they don't have to worry about getting fouls.
View attachment 82699
Big 12 average is 467 which is 26 per game. ISU averaged 15.3 per game. 11 attempts at 78% rate is 8.5 pts per game we gave away FROM AVERAGE. Those 8.5 points would have won 8-9 games during conference play. I stated earlier, our defense is not good, but this year, the offense cost us games.

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
Just gonna point out that the spark came with Javan on the bench. That's a good place for him.
The only positive I could give Javan would be early in the game. He flashed some ability to get down hill, into the paint. using that high screen. It only happened a couple of times. I think he might have had a few layups.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The only positive I could give Javan would be early in the game. He flashed some ability to get down hill, into the paint. using that high screen. It only happened a couple of times. I think he might have had a few layups.

It's strange. He has those times, and they seem to encourage him to assume that every shot is a good shot.
Of course, missing tells him that, too. He has some ability if a coach could help him channel it.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
He can shoot. He showed it last year in Big 12 play when he shot about 38% from 3. With a better team he would be getting a lot more open looks. And a reserve that comes in and gives you 8-10 minutes a game doesn't need to be a stud. Harris is undersized, not Jackson. He doesn't need to be a good rebounder. He doesn't turn the ball over. You also have to remember he missed a ton of time due to injury. He is a good defender and with a good defensive coach I think he would be great defender.
I agree on his defense. He is real active on that end. Even the best defender will get beat a couple times a game. His shot seemed a little broken at times this year, but he was still making them. He really hasn't played a ton to echo your point on that. Didn't get a ton of minutes his FR year and missed quite a few games this year as well. He is kind of like Conditt where I don't think you ever see him become a consistent Big 12 caliber starter but can become/ already is a serviceable bench option

Reactions: Halincandenza

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
He has some slashing ability which this team desperately needed someone besides just Bolton to do. Biggest problem i can see is he's just not good at finishing. He doesn't seem to be able to draw contact for fouls or have any moves to avoid contact/ score through contact. Gets his shot blocked at an insanely high clip for a 6'7" guy. And he really should only shoot the widest of open 3s. Woof

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Acting like its just the Cunningham show is disingenuous. Likekele is a great juinior guard who does a little of everything, and Rondel Walker and Moncrief are both better than any of our freshman by miles. They are a pretty good team, and not just a Cade Cunningham vehicle.
They have good pieces no doubt, but there is no way any of that comes together the way it did without Cunningham.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
It could also be an indictment on Prohm's stubbornness to play upperclassmen, and his inability to identify talent. I'm hoping it's this not the lack of talent.
I'm hoping you're right on this. Would like to see all 3 guys get a chance to show out next year

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
He has some slashing ability which this team desperately needed someone besides just Bolton to do. Biggest problem i can see is he's just not good at finishing. He doesn't seem to be able to draw contact for fouls or have any moves to avoid contact/ score through contact. Gets his shot blocked at an insanely high clip for a 6'7" guy. And he really should only shoot the widest of open 3s. Woof
I was expecting more of a Will Clyburn type player with Johnson. Will benefited from having a better supporting cast, but he was able to knock down open 3s, slash when needed and post up smaller guards. After 20+ games I don't know what Johnson is good at.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron