*** Official Iowa State Season Thread ***

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
We have to pray that a BUNCH of these guys transfer out.... or the new coach won’t have anything to work with.

It’s going to be a long rebuild even if a bunch of them transfer, but if none do, it could take 3+ years.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I mean keeping a few games close is awesome. But they didn’t win one conference game. Your splitting hairs with “getting uglier”.
Yeah only way it could have been uglier is if we were just getting blown out night in and night out. Aside from TT x2 OSU x2 @KU and @ MS St i feel like our guys came out and competed each night. And some of those games were blowouts because of covid, too.

I'll throw in Iowa too

Last edited:

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
But. He's a nice guy.

The biggest problem csp had was all the new coaches in the Big XII are all better coaches than csp will ever be, and let leads you into a ZERO WIN Conference season.....

It may just be a LONG trip back to any kind of relevancy in the big 12....Come On Jamie get us a big time coach who can compete in the best MBB conference in this great country!

Reactions: cyatheart

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
I think a lot of things went wrong for Prohm over not just this year, but the 2-3 years. I would say roster management, assistant coaching (delegation perhaps, I don't know) and talent evaluation were at the top of the list.
Some of this was just 'bad luck' (a weak excuse, yes), but most of it was his own responsibility.

I stand second-to-none in my disappointment and criticism of Prohm almost from his beginning here, but I also think a lynch mob mentality and too much glee in his leaving is a not good look for the fan base or future program. Whether is a "good guy" or not should not determine this -- if he was a douche, it still should not matter.; this is about us ISU folks now going forward.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUChippewa

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
We have to pray that a BUNCH of these guys transfer out.... or the new coach won’t have anything to work with.

It’s going to be a long rebuild even if a bunch of them transfer, but if none do, it could take 3+ years.
I'm kind of torn on this. I do think we have some good pieces. None of them have been used correctly and Prohm certainly has failed to assemble a group of guys that fit a specific mold or style of play. It's a collection of skinny athletic dudes with actual basketball skills ranging from bad to raw. He has also failed a lot of these guys in their development as basketball players. Are guys like Walker, Dubar, and Blackwell actually any good? Has Prohm let down guys like George Conditt and Tre Jackson in terms of helping them improve the weak areas of their game? Would this team have looked any better with a competent point guard this year? I'm not sure there's a confident answer to any of these questions. Long story short, I guess I'm OK with whoever wants to come back and help the team out this year under a new regime. On a similar note, I don't think losing anyone from this team would be very detrimental at this point either.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
I think a lot of things went wrong for Prohm over not just this year, but the 2-3 years. I would say roster management, assistant coaching (delegation perhaps, I don't know) and talent evaluation were at the top of the list.
Some of this was just 'bad luck' (a weak excuse, yes), but most of it was his own responsibility.

I stand second-to-none in my disappointment and criticism of Prohm almost from his beginning here, but I also think a lynch mob mentality and too much glee in his leaving is a not good look for the fan base or future program. Whether is a "good guy" or not should not determine this -- if he was a douche, it still should not matter.; this is about us ISU folks now going forward.
"Glee in his leaving"... His leaving is hands down the best thing this program can do to get back on track. Fans have zero reasons to be happy with season the only hope we have is replacing Prohm. It is too bad he failed so horrendously here, but i will be happy when he is replaced, as should anyone be who wants us to succeed.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
I'm kind of torn on this. I do think we have some good pieces. None of them have been used correctly and Prohm certainly has failed to assemble a group of guys that fit a specific mold of style of play. He has also failed a lot of these guys in their development as basketball players. Are guys like Walker, Dubar, and Blackwell actually any good? Has Prohm let down guys like George Conditt and Tre Jackson in terms of helping them improve the weak areas of their game? Would this team have looked any better with a competent point guard this year? I'm not sure there's a confident answer to any of these questions. Long story short, I guess I'm OK with whoever wants to come back and help the team out this year under a new regime. On a similar note, I don't think losing anyone from this team could be very detrimental at this point either.
Hard to say on the freshman. Many freshman take some time to figure things out, but all across the conference there are freshman who came in ready to contribute, and we have a history of that happening at ISU as well. Many of these freshman weren't able to see playing time on the worst team in school history.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Hard to say on the freshman. Many freshman take some time to figure things out, but all across the conference there are freshman who came in ready to contribute, and we have a history of that happening at ISU as well. Many of these freshman weren't able to see playing time on the worst team in school history.
Yeah, hard to say if it is coaching or the players. KSU freshman looked lost earlier in the season but Weber got them to at least get better and win a few games.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The biggest problem csp had was all the new coaches in the Big XII are all better coaches than csp will ever be, and let leads you into a ZERO WIN Conference season.....

It may just be a LONG trip back to any kind of relevancy in the big 12....Come On Jamie get us a big time coach who can compete in the best MBB conference in this great country!
There are only 2 coaches "newer " than Steve and one has over a decades worth of P6 experience on him. The other is Boynton who hired the #1 recruit in the country's brother as an assistant so he could secure his commitment.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Yeah, hard to say if it is coaching or the players. KSU freshman looked lost earlier in the season but Weber got them to at least get better and win a few games.
Yeah, i dont want to be too hard on them, because history shows they could develop into good players, but chances of all of them developing into big 12 impact players is very low.

Reactions: Halincandenza

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'm kind of torn on this. I do think we have some good pieces. None of them have been used correctly and Prohm certainly has failed to assemble a group of guys that fit a specific mold or style of play. It's a collection of skinny athletic dudes with actual basketball skills ranging from bad to raw. He has also failed a lot of these guys in their development as basketball players. Are guys like Walker, Dubar, and Blackwell actually any good? Has Prohm let down guys like George Conditt and Tre Jackson in terms of helping them improve the weak areas of their game? Would this team have looked any better with a competent point guard this year? I'm not sure there's a confident answer to any of these questions. Long story short, I guess I'm OK with whoever wants to come back and help the team out this year under a new regime. On a similar note, I don't think losing anyone from this team would be very detrimental at this point either.

Skinny, semi-athletic dudes. Most of these guys aren't quick or savvy enough to get past a defender.
You nailed the skills part. Mix that all together with a standing-around style of play, and we're just so easy to handle.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
My mind has gone this way as well. Kind of an indictment that they couldn't see consistent time or in Blackwell's case hardly any.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycl1