*** Official Iowa State Season Thread ***

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
Y
Shoot nearly 50% from 3, battle them even on the boards, face a team who has not played in 3 weeks..
Everything is in your favor, and then you get to the time of the game where coaching has its greatest impact and all the advantages you built up are just whisked away.
you forgot about the advantage of playing an undefeated, second ranked team at their home.

Reactions: CYDJ

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
What is JP waiting for...just put us out of our misery and fire this guy already. Yes, he's a nice guy, I get it...but he'll be fine. He's not going to go all Ray Combs on us. He will land on his feet somewhere.
Northern Illinois and Fordham are both looking for a new head coach.

Reactions: Snydes

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Just got done watching. Having King McClure picking apart our coaching down the stretch is just brutal. The dude is two years removed from playing college ball, yet he knows more than Prohm that has been coaching for 23 years. You can blame the players for execution every now and then in these situations, but this is a trend. That’s coaching.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
For all who were expecting to beat 17-0, #2 ranked BU, sorry for your disappointment. Up by 17, posters here promising a15 point loss. Sorry for your betting loss.

Play out the string, Prohm get fired, but some of this postgame discussion is pretty ridiculous.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
For all who were expecting to beat 17-0, #2 ranked BU, sorry for your disappointment. Up by 17, posters here promising a15 point loss. Sorry for your betting loss.

Play out the string, Prohm get fired, but some of this postgame discussion is pretty ridiculous.

It's not just postgame.....it was halftime. It was almost a five alarm panic.

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
When Baylor pulled to within 5 at half, I thought they’d probably be leading by about 10 by 5 minutes into the half. Our guys really kept up the toughness and answered a lot of Baylor runs. The loss isn’t on the refs but it got really old watching Baylor extended their arms into the defenders chest with no call every time down the court for about 5 minutes there.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

It’s not something that was expected but the opportunity to win presented itself the entire game. Baylor didn’t do anything different in the final minutes to seal it, ISU blew it because they didn’t know how to close it out.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
you forgot about the advantage of playing an undefeated, second ranked team at their home.

And you seem to be ignoring the point that Baylor had more rust than a 1976 Vega that had been through 10 Iowa winters.

You could see it in their play, that was the #2 team in the country in name only. They looked like they did not have their legs for a portion of the game, they looked like had not had any meaningful practices in days. Butler looked like he had not touched a basketball in days.

And why I pointed out it was a huge advantage to play them when ISU did.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
so who is going to try to claim this as a moral victory here?? #FireProhm.

I'm willing.
Has no affect on whether I think CSP will be/should be fired. Just willing to say the team played hard and wish they had pulled it out.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Just got done watching. Having King McClure picking apart our coaching down the stretch is just brutal. The dude is two years removed from playing college ball, yet he knows more than Prohm that has been coaching for 23 years. You can blame the players for execution every now and then in these situations, but this is a trend. That’s coaching.

He needs some polish, but I actually really enjoy listening to him call a game, even if it's in a bit of a grimly entertaining way.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Bolton is a nice player but Prohm just asks way too much of him. The entire time Prohm has been here it takes him till March to figure out who he wants to play and some years he never figures it out. He constantly has guys playing out of position, and Bolton is one more victim of that.

thought the kids showed a lot of guts tonight. Hell of an effort.

but if I see one more god damn top of the key, ball screen out of a timeout I’m going to lose my mind.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
He needs some polish, but I actually really enjoy listening to him call a game, even if it's in a bit of a grimly entertaining way.

He stumbles a lot and needs some polish for sure. He does have the advantage of calling B12 games with people he actually played with or against. He has done both Baylor games but hasn’t been a homer in either one which is probably hard to do.

I just miss the days of having Fran on a regular basis when we were good.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Losses to ranked teams:

BU 76-65 (down 5 with 2 minutes left)
BU 77-72 (led entire game until 4:11 left)
WVU 70-65
WVU 76-72
UT 78-72
OU 79-72

Not good enough, obviously, but playing that many close games against good teams leads me to believe there's something there to build upon.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Bolton is a nice player but Prohm just asks way too much of him. The entire time Prohm has been here it takes him till March to figure out who he wants to play and some years he never figures it out. He constantly has guys playing out of position, and Bolton is one more victim of that.

but if I see one more god damn top of the key, ball screen out of a timeout I’m going to lose my mind.

Along this same line, does Tyler Harris not have the ball skills and vision to play point? I think Bolton would benefit by playing off the ball with certain lineups in the game.

Tonight was also a shining example of how we have zero set offense outside of the pick and roll.

Reactions: CYDJ and agentbear

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
And you seem to be ignoring the point that Baylor had more rust than a 1976 Vega that had been through 10 Iowa winters.

You could see it in their play, that was the #2 team in the country in name only. They looked like they did not have their legs for a portion of the game, they looked like had not had any meaningful practices in days. Butler looked like he had not touched a basketball in days.

And why I pointed out it was a huge advantage to play them when ISU did.
I’m not ignoring anything. That is why I simply pointed out the things you forgot to mention.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Does he want what I assume would be a pay bump? He is young he should relate to his recruits. It would be a true flyer of a hiring . LOL.

socalcy

Jun 1, 2015

Any player with talent is a victim of Prohm. He’s clueless.