****Official Class Of 2024 Recruiting Thread****

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
We don't know how Rock's development is going. We do not know if he is going to be a 5 min guy or a 25 minute guy. Billiew seemingly has a long way to go before he is considered good enough to really help out. His footwork needs work, his hand eye coordination is not the best right now. We need help on the front line to get as good as we are now so I think we actually need to bigs. Plus, injuries happen, look what happened to Ward, it cost us a couple of non con losses and probably a one seed, you have to compensate for potential injuries.

At guard, we have the big 3, but I think Pierce will play next year, he is a big and physical guard with good handles. Nojis will help too. We are set at guards, enough that if an injury happens we will compensate.
So since WE DON'T KNOW Rock's development we need two bigs. Is that on top of a 4? If there are minutes to be had by a guard they'll go to Indrusaitis.

• Disagree
Reactions: Aclone

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
We don't know how Rock's development is going. We do not know if he is going to be a 5 min guy or a 25 minute guy. Billiew seemingly has a long way to go before he is considered good enough to really help out. His footwork needs work, his hand eye coordination is not the best right now. We need help on the front line to get as good as we are now so I think we actually need to bigs. Plus, injuries happen, look what happened to Ward, it cost us a couple of non con losses and probably a one seed, you have to compensate for potential injuries.

At guard, we have the big 3, but I think Pierce will play next year, he is a big and physical guard with good handles. Nojis will help too. We are set at guards, enough that if an injury happens we will compensate.
It's tough to say with Biliew how he's honestly going to pan out. When you look at how uncoordinated he seems and his stone hands, it makes it hard to tell if he will ever pan out or if he's just a huge bust. I really hope the guy pans out, but he still seems totally unpolished. Good call on that. We probably need to get two bigs in the transfer market.

Reactions: MyNameEhJeff

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It's tough to say with Biliew how he's honestly going to pan out. When you look at how uncoordinated he seems and his stone hands, it makes it hard to tell if he will ever pan out or if he's just a huge bust. I really hope the guy pans out, but he still seems totally unpolished. Good call on that. We probably need to get two bigs in the transfer market.

As crazy as it sounds, I don't think you risk it if you are TJ. With what we have returning, I don't think you bank on the lightbulb turning on for Omaha next year. From what we've seen, he's still a ways away. I think you have an honest talk with him that we are targeting proven bigs in the portal, and if he stays he's not guaranteed anything.

Our backcourt is too good to risk it on his development. You don't need game chargers in the front court, you just need guys that will do the dirty work, defend and rebound.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
As crazy as it sounds, I don't think you risk it if you are TJ. With what we have returning, I don't think you bank on the lightbulb turning on for Omaha next year. From what we've seen, he's still a ways away. I think you have an honest talk with him that we are targeting proven bigs in the portal, and if he stays he's not guaranteed anything.

Our backcourt is too good to risk it on his development. You don't need game chargers in the front court, you just need guys that will do the dirty work, defend and rebound.
I agree with what you're saying. I wonder if things will ever come together for Omaha or if he was just a massively overhyped recruit. I don't think having a five star recruit that is so hit or miss will change the way that TJ goes after big men in the portal. Having our entire backcourt back along with guys like Indrusaitis, we need people ready to make an impact right away in the frontcourt. TJ will get some solid guys in the frontcourt. Remember that as long as we can get guys on the same level or better than Jones, Ward, and King, we are loaded up. Not hating on Jones, Ward, and King because they've done amazing jobs this year, but there should be better guys we can get to fill in their roles as they graduate.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I wouldn’t be so confident Biliew will be in Ames next year
I keep going back and forth on this one. If he's not ready to play at the D1 level then him transferring just to sit on the bench again seems silly. Hopefully Omaha gives it another year and if he's still riding the bench then maybe it's time for him to move on.

Edit: It didn't take long at all to land a solid transfer big man. Dishon Jackson looks to be able to contribute for us. Excellent news and didn't see it until after writing the above response.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
That’s what the thought is right now
It would be a smart move for him because he needs to play lots of game minutes to gain experience and improve his skills. TJ and the staff have seen enough to be able to give him a fair assessment on what would be the best for his game. Hope he takes their advice whatever that may be.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

A full offseason will do wonders for Omaha if he chooses to stay.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I agree with what you're saying. I wonder if things will ever come together for Omaha or if he was just a massively overhyped recruit. I don't think having a five star recruit that is so hit or miss will change the way that TJ goes after big men in the portal. Having our entire backcourt back along with guys like Indrusaitis, we need people ready to make an impact right away in the frontcourt. TJ will get some solid guys in the frontcourt. Remember that as long as we can get guys on the same level or better than Jones, Ward, and King, we are loaded up. Not hating on Jones, Ward, and King because they've done amazing jobs this year, but there should be better guys we can get to fill in their roles as they graduate.
This is how I see PF working out, we add a guy that can play both the 4 and 5. Omaha has to decide if he wants to compete for those minutes. A good offseason and they are his. He has the talent. Watson is always going to be a rotation guy at 3/4 but not a starter. Fish (especially if he did actually grow 2" is our longterm guy. (Unless he gets over recruited, possible to likely)

Bubba Hubba

Dec 19, 2007
...Watson is always going to be a rotation guy at 3/4 but not a starter...
Disagree but maybe we agree in concept. He's starter-caliber right now defensively, but he's currently a liability on offense, except for his cutting to the hole. If he adds a reliable 3-point shot (33% or better) and looks for his shot (which he absolutely doesn't now), plus makes even modest improvements to the the rest of his offensive game, he'll start or get starter minutes.

Reactions: CyberJJJ and Acer88

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Disagree but maybe we agree in concept. He's starter-caliber right now defensively, but he's currently a liability on offense, except for his cutting to the hole. If he adds a reliable 3-point shot (33% or better) and looks for his shot (which he absolutely doesn't now), plus makes even modest improvements to the the rest of his offensive game, he'll start or get starter minutes.
I think he's a bit small to be a 4 and his offense is too limited to be a three. He offers defense and hustle. That's going to get you on the floor but not starter minutes. Just my opinion but I think his ceiling is too low to get a starting job. He defines role player.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

The only real question about JT Rock was how soon he’d add enough strength and muscle to be a significant contributor.

Those questions appear to have been answered emphatically. How about if we all stop pretending otherwise?

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I think he's a bit small to be a 4 and his offense is too limited to be a three. He offers defense and hustle. That's going to get you on the floor but not starter minutes. Just my opinion but I think his ceiling is too low to get a starting job. He defines role player.
He defines role player because that was his role this year. I will trust TJ to define his role next year. Dude NEVER missed this year from 3 :jimlad: (he was 2 out of 2 on 3's) and was super efficient from 2. Does need some work on free throws, but so does much of the team.

Reactions: Bubba Hubba

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
He defines role player because that was his role this year. I will trust TJ to define his role next year. Dude NEVER missed this year from 3 :jimlad: (he was 2 out of 2 on 3's) and was super efficient from 2. Does need some work on free throws, but so does much of the team.
Ok I'm game. What are we arguing here and what side do you think I have?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron