****Official Class Of 2024 Recruiting Thread****

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
I am sure I will get roasted for saying this and accused of hating on Watson but here goes…

If Watson is truly ready to start for us at the 4 next year, am I the only one that finds it interesting that he played 1 minute against VCU, 7 against VaTech, did not play against A&M, did not play against DePaul, and 4 minutes against Iowa when Ward was injured?

He could take a big leap over the summer and he already does some things reallly well, but feel like he’d be seeing more minutes (especially when we needed him) if he were ready to start for what is likely a top 10 team next year.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cytown12

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I am sure I will get roasted for saying this and accused of hating on Watson but here goes…

If Watson is truly ready to start for us at the 4 next year, am I the only one that finds it interesting that he played 1 minute against VCU, 7 against VaTech, did not play against A&M, did not play against DePaul, and 4 minutes against Iowa when Ward was injured?

He could take a big leap over the summer and he already does some things reallly well, but feel like he’d be seeing more minutes (especially when we needed him) if he were ready to start for what is likely a top 10 team next year.
I hope he sticks around. He's a great defensive piece off the bench. Not a lot of guys can defend 1-4 like he can. His offensive game needs a lot of work, but he's a valuable defensive piece.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
I hope he sticks around. He's a great defensive piece off the bench. Not a lot of guys can defend 1-4 like he can. His offensive game needs a lot of work, but he's a valuable defensive piece.
Totally agree. I hope he stays and he is a solid player: I just think people penciling in him, Fish, and Rock for next year thinking that won’t be a drop off don’t really understand where these players are.

Reactions: rosshm16

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Why would he leave he's a role player on a great team? He's in the rotation. He lacks offensive skills. But he's a spark in spurts when he comes in.

I haven't read this thread in the last page or two but anyone that equates rotation role player to suggesting he should transfer is a mental midget.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines

I take more in what he is playing now when it's nut cutting time then earlier in the year where lineups were being felt out.

A lot can change in an off season physically and mentally. Maybe when he can see a path for starter minutes it'll give him the confidence and attitude to be more assertive offensively.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Totally agree. I hope he stays and he is a solid player: I just think people penciling in him, Fish, and Rock for next year thinking that won’t be a drop off don’t really understand where these players are.
We're losing over 60 minutes upfront. Watson played 10ish this year. We aren't adding 60 minutes. Those guys are getting some minutes. That doesn't mean we'll see a drop off. No reason to believe the 5 rotation guys returning won't be better next year. Jackson was a great start today. He averaged 26 minutes. Let's say the next big can give us 20. Paveletzke played 8 he'll be better or someone like Indrusaitis will take this minutes. Now we're looking at under 15 minutes more out of Watson, Biliew, Rock and Fish. That's a lot of competition for 15 minutes.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017

You're basing whether Watson is ready to start next year on games played in December?

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
This is how I see PF working out, we add a guy that can play both the 4 and 5. Omaha has to decide if he wants to compete for those minutes. A good offseason and they are his. He has the talent. Watson is always going to be a rotation guy at 3/4 but not a starter. Fish (especially if he did actually grow 2" is our longterm guy. (Unless he gets over recruited, possible to likely)
wait what, Fish may have grown 2 inches? That would make him 6'8 right? Wow that would be nice.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

No idea if Watson will be at ISU next year. Obviously, he is getting feedback by coaching staff on potential PT next season.

His early season playing time is curious. I feel there was a reason his early season PT was minimal. But, if I am projecting his future potential, his Big12 playing time is probably a better indicator.

Your point is valid. Watson is an A level defender, but he has shown D level offensive skills. I feel he needs to see a path to being a 20mpg+ player. That path might be the growth of Robert Jones and Hasan Ward during their time in Ames.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
No idea if Watson will be at ISU next year. Obviously, he is getting feedback by coaching staff on potential PT next season.

His early season playing time is curious. I feel there was a reason his early season PT was minimal. But, if I am projecting his future potential, his Big12 playing time is probably a better indicator.

Your point is valid. Watson is an A level defender, but he has shown D level offensive skills. I feel he needs to see a path to being a 20mpg+ player. That path might be the growth of Robert Jones and Hasan Ward during their time in Ames.
Why does he need to see that path?

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
Same people that thought Omaha was an instant start, Milan was 7th man at best, and Rob was only going to get scrub minutes

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I mean, wouldn’t playing important minutes in the Big 12 tournament and the NCAA tournament be a lot more relevant than what he did to start the season?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Why does he need to see that path?
If he can't see his offense developing like Rob or Hasan, then I can see Watson hitting the portal.

I love Watson's defense, but if he's going to bump his mpg from 10 to 18-20 next year, he probably needs to develop his offense to score 6-8ppg.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
You're basing whether Watson is ready to start next year on games played in December?
I’m saying it’s a huge leap between (point a) Pav taking minutes you should be getting at the four spot to (point B) guy is going to slide in next year as a starter without significant drop off.

Similarly, with Bilew, think about what TJ must have been seeing on a daily basis to only play him 13 minutes in the Big 12 regular season.

again, I’m not saying they can make this leap. And certainly not saying I hope they don’t. I’m just saying it IS a leap.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cytown12

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
The only real question about JT Rock was how soon he’d add enough strength and muscle to be a significant contributor.

Those questions appear to have been answered emphatically. How about if we all stop pretending otherwise?
You’ve seen him play high-level D1 basketball? I haven’t.

• Creative
Reactions: Aclone

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Why would he leave he's a role player on a great team? He's in the rotation. He lacks offensive skills. But he's a spark in spurts when he comes in.

I haven't read this thread in the last page or two but anyone that equates rotation role player to suggesting he should transfer is a mental midget.
He may just want to play more. That doesn’t mean he should transfer, but that may mean he wants to.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyforce

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
He may just want to play more. That doesn’t mean he should transfer, but that may mean he wants to.
How is this dumb? Players often transfer because they want to play more. Maybe I missed something.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron