****Official Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread****

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
A great earlyish eval by the staff and impressive to get him on campus but Anthony Black is likely going to be out of our league. He's an out of region player who is going to catapult from a top 75 guy to more like a top 25 guy with offers from just about everybody (Duke, Texas, Baylor, etc).

The good news is we do seem well positioned for Demarion Watson. He's a likely top 100 guy in an area where our staff has shown early success in. There also seems to be the benefit of a long-standing relationship with Kyle Green as well as a relationship with our current commits. Have to like where we sit here with an official coming at the end of this week.

Another benefit to potentially landing Watson would be his connection to his 2023 high school teammate Taison Chatman.. https://247sports.com/player/taison-chatman-46103053/

Last edited:

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
A great earlyish eval by the staff and impressive to get him on campus but Anthony Black is likely going to be out of our league. He's an out of region player who is going to catapult from a top 75 guy to more like a top 25 guy with offers from just about everybody (Duke, Texas, Baylor, etc).

The good news is we do seem well positioned for Demarion Watson, however. He's a likely top 100 guy in an area where our staff has shown early success in. There also seems to be the benefit of a long-standing relationship with Kyle Green as well as a relationship with our current commits. Have to like where we sit here with an official coming at the end of this week.

Another benefit to potentially landing Watson would be his connection to his 2023 high school teammate Taison Chatman.. https://247sports.com/player/taison-chatman-46103053/

I mean I think we are positioned well with Black. Don't mean we will get him but we are getting a visit, which in my book means he is not out of our league.

LLCoolJansma

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I mean I think we are positioned well with Black. Don't mean we will get him but we are getting a visit, which in my book means he is not out of our league.
Totally agree. Black taking an official already puts ISU in a good position and the staff has long standing relationship with his family. Getting a Duke offer can change plans for some players but not for all. Black may not have his head turned especially since Coach K won't be his coach. I have a feeling we'll get a better idea after the visit on the potential of Black becoming a Cyclone. Expectations can be tempered but ISU is still a legit possibility.

Reactions: t-noah

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
As good as we can do, sure. Exciting to get him on campus but he's a pretty big long shot with those offers. Literally one of the hottest prospects in the country.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
We have some background with him, all you can ask for in this case.

Gibbon

Aug 20, 2013
Ames
With a couple really good recruits taking their official visits to Ames the last couple weeks, I wonder where they stand (Watson, Black, Karaban) priority-wise on Iowa State's recruiting big board. Seems like the buzz around Karaban has quieted lately.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and JVAR

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
With a couple really good recruits taking their official visits to Ames the last couple weeks, I wonder where they stand (Watson, Black, Karaban) priority-wise on Iowa State's recruiting big board. Seems like the buzz around Karaban has quieted lately.
I think that momentum stopped when he transferred to IMG for his senior season

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I think that momentum stopped when he transferred to IMG for his senior season
I think the staff is more into other players. Players that are just as good or better but we don’t have to go
To the East Coast to get them. Something Prohm didn’t think through

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
Agree on the quiet around Karaban. Just saw a tweet of the many unofficials and/or official visits he will have taken and yet to take. No mention of us. Had he already visited ISU? I've forgotten. If he hasn't, do we know if we backed off due to roster space or other priority targets? Or did he show less interest?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Agree on the quiet around Karaban. Just saw a tweet of the many unofficials and/or official visits he will have taken and yet to take. No mention of us. Had he already visited ISU? I've forgotten. If he hasn't, do we know if we backed off due to roster space or other priority targets? Or did he show less interest?
No inside info but really feels like either he or us have moved on (or both), but that could change again.