****Official Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread****

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
56% of close* 2's. Layups in other words, albeit contested ones.

Are you insinuating that after watching a full season of Cyclone basketball, you never saw Tyrese explode past his man to get to the rack only to get met or mauled there by the help defender, resulting in a missed layup attempt or blocked shot? It has happened probably 2-3 times per game if I had to guess.

You keep saying two different things. On one hand he struggles with contested shots. On the other hand you feel he's getting fouled and the refs aren't calling it for him.

After watching Tyrese for a full season he does well finishing at the basket. Definitely wouldn't describe him as struggling.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
You keep saying two different things. On one hand he struggles with contested shots. On the other hand you feel he's getting fouled and the refs aren't calling it for him.

After watching Tyrese for a full season he does well finishing at the basket. Definitely wouldn't describe him as struggling.
I am implying that maybe he struggles because he is getting fouled, but not getting the calls. But if he were better at finishing, he would either be making the shot attempt through the contact or getting the calls. He is a FR, he can only improve on what has been a successful rookie campaign.

• Haha
Reactions: IASTATE07

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I'm not sure how CyPunch's post really supports what you were saying. 56% on 2s doesn't seem like struggling to me. Hunter needs to improve his FT% and 3P% has been said all year.

56% isn't bad. Especially for a small guard. But there is room for improvement there.

I'm more frustrated by his free throw % personally. But that's an issue for the entire team outside of IZB.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Hunter has been great, has lived up to every bit of the hype. But he does struggle to finish at the rim through contact, which hasn't been a surprise given his size and inexperience. I don't know what is wrong with what I said

Hunter should get better with experience. I would agree that his trouble finishing in traffic at times. That is more a function of habit. What worked against HS opponents, isn't going to fly against P5 teams. Going up with 1 hand using a windmill type dunk is going to get rejected by college forwards & posts.

My guess is he will learn and an off-season with the S&C coaches will help.

Reactions: Stangguy

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Hunter should get better with experience. I would agree that his trouble finishing in traffic at times. That is more a function of habit. What worked against HS opponents, isn't going to fly against P5 teams. Going up with 1 hand using a windmill type dunk is going to get rejected by college forwards & posts.

My guess is he will learn and an off-season with the S&C coaches will help.
Thank you. One of the posters questioning me above is only doing it out of spite I think.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
56% isn't bad. Especially for a small guard. But there is room for improvement there.

I'm more frustrated by his free throw % personally. But that's an issue for the entire team outside of IZB.

Of course there is room for improvement. He's not struggling though.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
This boards obsession over Bowen Born is comical. Too small unfortunately for what we need. Great kid and great player.

The real prize in Cedar Falls is AJ Green. He is exactly what the program needs.
Actually the obsession on this board is to bag on the kid. Absolutely nobody has brought up wanting him. Nobody.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I want this boards 2020 conception of him to play for us.
Thing is he's portrayed as a Jake Sullivan "gym rat". I watched some of his hs lighlights the the kid can go up with a gather step and dunk two handed. Few sub 6' athletes can do that.

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
With you on a lot of this except the Born comparison. Lipsey's athleticism and frame gives him a much better chance to make it at this level. I'm not as high on him as some others it seems, mostly because I don't think you can play both him and Hunter at the same time very often and I think Hunter probably plays more and more as he grows as a player. Both guys are true PGs, so I think Lipsey fills a hole the roster currently has as a backup who can make things happen on offense a lot better than the current backup PG situation. Maybe Hunter can play off the ball a bit as it seems he's probably the better shooter of the two, but I feel like I'll need to see it work in a game before I really can count on the two of them playing together.

Who knows? Maybe Lipsey just has an it-factor and can't be kept off the court?
He’s a winner hard to keep them on the bench!