***Official Bench Steele Jantz thread***

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
No... what I meant was if there's a High School kid out there with Seneca's abilities, heed notice. I'm also wondering if I should begin a ***Official "I can't believe we missed a freaking extra point thread"***

Sorry, wasn't trying to ridicule you, just perspective for the masses who might not know that. So many times, people are all like SENECA....drool, slobber, show me 'the run' again, LOL, OMG. He was the same type of recruit that Jantz was.

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007
I thought promoting an assistant from a miserable failure of an offense was a bizarre and horrible decision when Rhoads made it. I'm even more convinced now that it was the worst decision of his career. I don't understand why we didn't go out and use the new TV money to hire somebody from outside the program. I know Herman was a disaster too, but I'd rather take my chances on a proven guy than a guy with no experience. Steele doesn't help his case with the idiotic turnovers, but it isn't all on him.

I've resigned myself to winning 2 more games max. 3-9 looks terrifyingly realistic. The defense doesn't deserve this ****.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
We've had a receiver problem for a while.

Oh yeah, I had just forgotten about it, or hoped it was some better. But it isn't.

I think the bigger point I was thinking of, and communicated it poorly in that post. Was that it wasn't one thing wrong tonight. There are multiple major fundamental problems with this offense. And it's just really settling in as a reality now. I had hopes it wasn't this bad, but we got some big problems.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Bruns is right, Tech just absolutely killed our receivers. They just were not open. Really an *** whooping. Now we have a receiver problem as well. This is not good.

We've had a receiver problem for a while.

Agreed, problem for many years.

For the Barnett lovers Jared Barnett Stats, News, Videos, Pictures, Bio - Iowa State Cyclones - ESPN
Hopefully Richardson can save us. I have him coming near the end of the season in my preview and winning a couple.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Even more disturbing. This was after a bye week where Mess said they used the first week to just improve themselves, then worked on Tech the second week. My god, imagine if they hadn't had that week to improve.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Not gonna read all the pages, but just to put in my .02

Our future is not Jared Barnett. Joel Lanning is a much better QB and I haven't seen Trevor Hodge but I'm sure he is great as well. Steele Jantz is not a good quarterback this year and should be benched if he starts off bad next week.

Sam Richardson can run AND pass. If anything, he should be our second string. If Jantz is benched, give Richardson some PT. Barnett, IMO, can not pass well enough at this level.

TheBentStick

Aug 15, 2012
I won't call out a player, but a certain QB would be more comfortable in a pro set offense. However, the coaches of this QB are madly in love with the zone read offense. Unless one of these two variables change, expect more of the same the rest of the year.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
What about the horrid offensive line? Very predictable play calling? Nope...it's all the QB.

Idiots.

Normally I would agree with an assertion like this, however I have a difficult time believing that Jantz gives us a better chance to win than Barnett. Jantz cannot run the spread option and oftentimes makes the incorrect read. Plus he is a senior and has shown zero improvement from last year. And quite frankly he has a serious confidence problem that is unlikely to get alot better. Hell, he played absolutely horrible in the 2nd half against Iowa and the only way we escaped Iowa City with a W is because of the tremendous play by our defense.

Barnett may not have the strongest arm but he makes the correct reads and I can live with that. It is difficult for me to understand how a RS Fr. can lead a team to a victory over the #2 ranked team in the country and then somehow lose the starting job. Rhoads and Messingham saw the same stuff from Jantz tonight (from the first drive) that they saw in the second half of the Iowa game. Rhoads says we need to value the ball and is always concerned about losing the TO margin and yet he continues to start the TO machine in Jantz. Every single game that we stick with Jantz is another game that we are taking away from the development of Jared Barnett in my opinion.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
If our passing game sucks regardless of qb, why not play the one who runs the zone read better?

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Fail.

How would Aaron Rodgers be without an OL? Oh yeah, human. We are finding that out this year.

I bet Rodgers wouldn't have dropped the ball running all alone in clean air. He's just not good, and specifically he's not good at running zone read. He wasn't last year either.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
In a vacuum SJ is the best option.
However, he is bad on the zone read, which is apparently the only way we plan on running the ball. He get's flustered easily (in terms of having a pocket and pressure, Steele turns a leak into a flood) which is not good when you take an average Oline and make it bad due to a poor scheme.

If there is any good news from such pathetic play by the offense, is that there is nothing to lose in terms of making drastic, fundamental changes in scheme. Time for Mess to get creative.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron