*** Official Baylor vs #17 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Rewatched the highlights this morning and it just amazes me how bad and then good the pass defense was. In the first half Baylor had guys running free in the secondary on multiple plays. Guys were just lost out there. In the second half the defenders were in the right places and got a pick and had a decent shot at a couple others. Also, ISU was the team with the guys wide open in the second half.

Reactions: irish

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
I haven't read the whole thread, so maybe this was covered....
I'm surprised there isn't more second guessing the pressure we brought on 4th and 6 when they scored. Up 14, I would have preferred a more conservative call with that field position and time left. I'm not sure the D had given up a second half first down at that point. Make them sustain the drive IF they convert the 4th down.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
I'm surprised there isn't more second guessing the pressure we brought on 4th and 6 when they scored. Up 14, I would have preferred a more conservative call with that field position and time left. I'm not sure the D had given up a second half first down at that point. Make them sustain the drive IF they convert the 4th down.
I love the call. Cyclones haven’t brought pressure often but were aggressive when they needed to be. That play was beat by the perfect offensive call. (And ISU defensive back slipped) Brewer had to make that throw with McDonald in his face.
If McDonald gets home the game is officially over.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Hopefully that awful half does wake him up for the rest of the season. But let’s be real, he was completely awful in the 1st Half and he would tell you the same thing. He looked like the Brock of old in the 2nd Half.
It was hangover from his brother sucking so bad for FSU, two pick sixes in limited time, iirc. Alas, Brock and Chubba have a karmic connection like that.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I love the call. Cyclones haven’t brought pressure often but were aggressive when they needed to be. That play was beat by the perfect offensive call. (And ISU defensive back slipped) Brewer had to make that throw with McDonald in his face.
If McDonald gets home the game is officially over.
I think people forget that Brewer is really experienced and is really good in those spots.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

I didn't mind the call because if we hadn't brought pressure and they picked up the first down everyone would be complaining that we didn't bring pressure.

The problem was we tipped off what we were going to do WAY too early and Brewer made the great adjustment to burn us..... one of my biggest pet peeves with Manning and our offense by the way..... we have NEVER been able to do that to an opposing team...., it was a thing of beauty to see executed to perfection.

I think once we tipped them off to what we were going to do and you could see Brewer changing the play, I think we should have backed off of bringing the pressure. In hindsight, not bringing pressure might have given up the first down, but likely would not have given up the TD like the blitz did, but I had no issue with the initial call of bringing pressure..... only that once you could tell we had tipped Brewer off, I think we should have backed out of it.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Rewatched the highlights this morning and it just amazes me how bad and then good the pass defense was. In the first half Baylor had guys running free in the secondary on multiple plays. Guys were just lost out there. In the second half the defenders were in the right places and got a pick and had a decent shot at a couple others. Also, ISU was the team with the guys wide open in the second half.
I was texting a friend and Early in the second quarter I told him I wasn’t actually worried about the offense because we were moving the ball pretty easily, but I was worried about the defense because Our defensive secondary was just getting gashed in every single play. We weren’t even softly pushing back on them. They were having their way with us. Glad they got it turned around (though that last drive was giving me flashbacks).

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I didn't mind the call because if we hadn't brought pressure and they picked up the first down everyone would be complaining that we didn't bring pressure.

The problem was we tipped off what we were going to do WAY too early and Brewer made the great adjustment to burn us..... one of my biggest pet peeves with Manning and our offense by the way..... we have NEVER been able to do that to an opposing team...., it was a thing of beauty to see executed to perfection.

I think once we tipped them off to what we were going to do and you could see Brewer changing the play, I think we should have backed off of bringing the pressure. In hindsight, not bringing pressure might have given up the first down, but likely would not have given up the TD like the blitz did, but I had no issue with the initial call of bringing pressure..... only that once you could tell we had tipped Brewer off, I think we should have backed out of it.
In talking about the defense giving up a fourth down touchdown, he manages to praise the defense and bash Manning and the offense.

Never stop being you, Clonedude.

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Unrelated to the thread, but I can't believe all it takes for Hawkeye fans to forget the tumultuous off-season and 0-2 start to teams named Purdue and Northwestern is a 49-7 gift wrapped walloping of what appears to be a hapless Michigan State team. I share one positive link on Facebook last night from our win and a fb "friend" comments on it "Nothing like a win over a 1-4 team to exercise the demons of losing to the ragin Cajuns."

Unreal how I hadn't heard a thing about that in weeks, but once they finally get their first win, there it is again. I maintain they are the worst fan base in cfb

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

There is a flaw in the defense that we are playing that allows the deep middle of the field to be wide open, its been a problem all year long, guys running wide open straight down the middle of the field. TCU was the first to figure it out, and we have been hurt by it game after game. Now the flaw might be a personal problem, but its there and its hurting us.

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
Unrelated to the thread, but I can't believe all it takes for Hawkeye fans to forget the tumultuous off-season and 0-2 start to teams named Purdue and Northwestern is a 49-7 gift wrapped walloping of what appears to be a hapless Michigan State team. I share one positive link on Facebook last night from our win and a fb "friend" comments on it "Nothing like a win over a 1-4 team to exercise the demons of losing to the ragin Cajuns."

Unreal how I hadn't heard a thing about that in weeks, but once they finally get their first win, there it is again. I maintain they are the worst fan base in cfb
Man, you are so right. After Eisworth's muffed punt I heard from a friend "seen that before". So obnoxious.
I returned the favor though. After we won I texted "culture win. the kind of thing the Hawkeyes used to do"