*** Official #8 Oklahoma State vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) THREAD ***

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Gundy seems pretty complimentary of us and isn’t blaming the refs for the loss. I like him.
I learned skimming their boards that there may be a decent sized contingent of that fan base that hates Gundy and thinks he’s an ego loving dbag.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I learned skimming their boards that there may be a decent sized contingent of that fan base that hates Gundy and thinks he’s an ego loving dbag.

I can believe it.

But good luck finding someone who's going to get OSU a decade plus of this type of success.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Which means you don't run a shovel pass to the TE, something you've never done, on 4th and short.

Several plays were up to the players do make it happen, but in no way is that a practical call.
Specifically Kolar, defense keyed on him all day. He's not going to get lost in the mix.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Maybe it’s always been like this and I’m just now noticing, but seems like lately the refs are pretty consistently spotting the ball where the knee went down as opposed to where the ball is when the knee went down.

It's weirdly inconsistent. I'd swear if it's 2nd or 3rd down and not short yards to go and it's near the marker they use the ball. Or even "Well, that's close enough, 1st Down!" On short and 3rd or 4th it's the knee or elbow.

CRCySpy

Oct 16, 2020
Cedar Rapids, IA
Sorry, I don't know if this has been discussed earlier in this thread but I have a question for any football officials or rules experts out there.

On that last 4th down play, the OSU lineman was pulling the runner forward to try to get him to the first down yardage. I know that used to be a penalty on the offense called helping the runner. I have not seen that called in years. Is that not a rule anymore, or does it just not get called anymore?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Sorry, I don't know if this has been discussed earlier in this thread but I have a question for any football officials or rules experts out there.

On that last 4th down play, the OSU lineman was pulling the runner forward to try to get him to the first down yardage. I know that used to be a penalty on the offense called helping the runner. I have not seen that called in years. Is that not a rule anymore, or does it just not get called anymore?

I was wondering if that factored into the spot because it didn't look like the ball carrier ever touched the ground before being pulled over. And I didn't hear the whistle for forward progress being stopped.

CRCySpy

Oct 16, 2020
Cedar Rapids, IA
I was wondering if that factored into the spot because it didn't look like the ball carrier ever touched the ground before being pulled over. And I didn't hear the whistle for forward progress being stopped.
I think it is still a rule and should be a 10 yard penalty, but it just never gets called anymore.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
As we were leaving the stadium, she said "I cannot believe that ISU won", I told her, "in the past, that is a game that would have had OSU driving down to either tie the game up, or win it." Those days are gone, overall just a great win.

I have loved the Cyclones since attending my first ISU football game in 1979 (with Fred & Lugbolt Krueger - thanks fellas). My freshman year at ISU (1981), we started out 5-1-1, beating EIU in Ames and tying Oklahoma in Norman, getting as high as #11 in the country, before losing our final four games to finish 5-5-1. That was my introduction to the ISU "gut-kick" and there were to be many more over the next forty years.

These are heady times for ISU football and I've finally learned to enjoy a well-played contest regardless of the outcome, but it's difficult to reset your mind to expect success after enduring nearly four DECADES of heartache. I haven't entirely achieved it yet and sadly, still anticipate the worst! In closing, if you have an older fan in your section being pessimistic, cut 'em some slack - old habits die hard...

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Pulling or carrying the ball carrier is still a rule violation in collegiate football. It's a 5 yard penalty from the spot of the foul. It's never called, though, just like breaking your stride as you run into the end zone is never called. :)

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

Only if an ISU lineman attempts to pull Breece Hall forward. Then it's a loss of down, 15 yard penalty, ejection of said lineman and fine for Matt Campbell. Anyone else it's tough, smart, heady football.

Reactions: CRCySpy

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
I don't care if they do it and whatever justification you have for it doesn't change that it's lame to storm the field in that situation. My Dad wore black socks with his shoes and shorts. He didn't give a ****. But it was still lame.
You choosing to die on this hill is lame

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt