***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This isn't anything new. And ideally you'd want to send warning before a tornado actually forms to alert peopleof impending danger. But yes, many times nothing happens. It is what it is with the technology/spotters available.
It’s been going on 10-15 years it seems. Most people I know don’t even heed it unless there’s a funnel on the ground. It has completely diluted the distinction IMO.

I get wanting to inform people of the potential, but I feel like Tornado Watch and Severe Thunderstorm warnings cover that.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
It’s been going on 10-15 years it seems. Most people I know don’t even heed it unless there’s a funnel on the ground. It has completely diluted the distinction IMO.

I get wanting to inform people of the potential, but I feel like Tornado Watch and Severe Thunderstorm warnings cover that.
Read the Joplin after-action sometime. 150+ deaths, a significant number of them from survivor accounts and other evidence died on their way to shelter because, despite the warnings, they didn't act until they personally perceived physical danger.

Waiting until it is on the ground or chewing up stuff (or waiting until you see it up the street) is wasting a lot of critical time.

Plus, not every tornado touches down in the middle of nowhere first. If you have to ignore the radar indicated rotation over a city and wait for it to reach the ground first...
"We had no warning. Came out of nowhere."

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Read the Joplin after-action sometime. 150+ deaths, a significant number of them from survivor accounts and other evidence died on their way to shelter because, despite the warnings, they didn't act until they personally perceived physical danger.

Waiting until it is on the ground or chewing up stuff (or waiting until you see it up the street) is wasting a lot of critical time.

Plus, not every tornado touches down in the middle of nowhere first. If you have to ignore the radar indicated rotation over a city and wait for it to reach the ground first...

Much better to have a few false alarms than to have people die because they didn't get notice.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Much better to have a few false alarms than to have people die because they didn't get notice.

Also got to remember that not everyone’s situation is the same. Some people hear the sirens and have to go to their basement. Some people have to go down the street or further to find shelter (think trailer parks). So while those with easy access to safe spaces may think these watches and warnings are overkill, it is not that way for everyone.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
The storm lover in me hates when these bust, but the homeowner in me loves it.
Made me think of the shredded wheat commercials!!

Counter point: NWS issues tornado warnings and makes no notes if it is radar indicated or confirmed on the ground. Majority of warnings issued are for radar indicated. Public eventually would not take a tornado warning seriously since they would just think “they issue these warnings all the time and nothing happens.” But a tornado is confirmed to be on the ground. People didn’t take the warning seriously because they just assumed it was another “false” warning

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Watching the tv meteorologists reporting on tornado "warnings " knowing full well that there weren't any actual tornadoes was kind of an interesting tap dance.

Brainless take. Radar is a valuable tool for issuing warnings and there well can be a tornado from them, just isn't visually confirmed. Relying solely on spotters and public reports to issue is ******* stupid. Tornadoes can be rain wrapped, occur over sparsely populated areas, broken terrain, or you know, occur at night all of which make getting visual reports difficult.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Watching the tv meteorologists reporting on tornado "warnings " knowing full well that there weren't any actual tornadoes was kind of an interesting tap dance.
So you think they need to avoid NWS warnings?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Made me think of the shredded wheat commercials!!

Counter point: NWS issues tornado warnings and makes no notes if it is radar indicated or confirmed on the ground. Majority of warnings issued are for radar indicated. Public eventually would not take a tornado warning seriously since they would just think “they issue these warnings all the time and nothing happens.” But a tornado is confirmed to be on the ground. People didn’t take the warning seriously because they just assumed it was another “false” warning
That’s what’s happening now I believe. Warnings should be limited to on-ground tornadoes. Or just make an up front distinction somehow

• Disagree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I’m just saying there should be a clear and known distinction for actual tornadoes vs radar indicated

• Disagree
Reactions: BigCyFan