***Official 2024 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament Thread***

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
These upsets are nice stories but it makes for worse matchups in the next rounds. If Illinois gets by Morehead State (1st round matchups are always tough for high seeds), I think they'll steamroll Duquesne.
In other regions fine, but if it can potentially help us let the upsets roll.

Reactions: NYCYFan

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
The problem with being an team that plays on the perimeter and relying on the 3 leads to variance especially in the tourney. Early start, unfamiliar opponent and new gym often results in a tough shooting starts.

BYU went 8-24 from 3, I don't think many of us would have picked them to win knowing that. Doesn't mean they are bad team just hard to see that type of style resulting in consecutive 6 wins IMO.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Haven’t won a game since 2012. Doesn’t seem like they should be worried about playing on the weekend…

And that one was a play-in game so it doesn't count.

Have to go back to 2011, which was also the last time they made the S16 (played 2 double digit seeds to get there)

Reactions: J Mast

NYCYFan

Mar 18, 2024
Well, I guess Morehead State just needs to beat Illinois then :p
giphy.gif

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I'm not sad to see BYU go but I'll admit I thought they'd do much better. Oh well, not gonna call em all on the old bracket.

Reactions: BigCyFan

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Long Beach State is the one that's firing their coach right?

That would be quite a thing if they win a few games.
Just ask our Iowa friends how that move worked with Dr. Tom Davis.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Folks the Big 12 could lose every first round game and it is what it is. A single elimination tournament doesn't compare to an entire season.

But in the end, the country is full of players that can play really good basketball. It has coaches that can coach at a really high level. This isn't like football where pure athleticism, size and talent make upsets just harder.

So yes, the Big 12 is the best conference, but this is basketball where one team could have an off night shooting or an on night shooting. The sport is much more volatile than a sport like football.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
The problem with being an team that plays on the perimeter and relying on the 3 leads to variance especially in the tourney. Early start, unfamiliar opponent and new gym often results in a tough shooting starts.

BYU went 8-24 from 3, I don't think many of us would have picked them to win knowing that. Doesn't mean they are bad team just hard to see that type of style resulting in consecutive 6 wins IMO.
Reminded me a lot of our UAB game.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu