*** Official #13 IOWA STATE vs Texas Tech Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cal-cyclone

Dec 8, 2022
Not sure which is worse. The collapse of the team, or the collapse of the so-called fans on this forum. This team is so performing above its talent - remember we were picked to finish second last in the B12, but here they are challenging for 1st or 2nd. But the fans are calling for Lipsey's head, for TJ's head, etc. To me, it is disgusting. Of course, I am disappointed in the loss. but I'm, not going to throw the team under the bus because of it. There is lots of basketball to be played yet; I for one will be rooting for the guys no matter what. They are a great group of players, and a great group of people. Which is more than I can say about some of the people posting on this forum,.
I am not calling for anyone's heads, but... We had a freshman point guard who was pretty rattled there with multiple turnovers in a row. it isn't the worst thing in the world to let him sit for a few plays and compose himself. The problem is we didn't have any other veteran leaders take charge and help eliminate the turnovers. Once Lipsy started turning it over, literally all our other guys forgot how to pass and catch. Lipsy is going to be a good player, but as the coach you need to know when to stop the bleeding and have him sit for a few minutes to get his composure.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
One thing that boggles my mind is everyone watching knew Lipsey had the Yips. Why not have Holmes bring the ball up until we got our sh1t together?

Why did TT get 100 layups?

This is just such a huge loss for us.

Good teams don't lose to OSU and Tech. just sad and a lost opportunity.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
The way the Clone luck is rolling lately, the Big12 will release the ‘23 football schedule and ISU will play all away games, no bye‘s.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Definitely not a good look for staff letting that slip through the fingers.. Not sure what Ward did, but could’ve used his legs and presence there during the 2nd half.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Pressure ISU and drive at will. Game plan.
Neither Osun or Jones are very good if you force the switch and just drive past them. Gotta figure that out, same with a plan against lazy presses that are now on year 2 of being a major problem.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Yep I don't want TJ to change, as I like a coach who doesn't do what 98% of coaches do. With that said, it's been shown (and is good coaching) that when you light up an officiating crew, especially when you aren't known to, you are going to get some things to go your favor. Self is the master of getting a T when they desperately need it, and I will vomit even typing this, but Iowa has had two games this year where Fran has given it to them and the game completely changed. Indiana game especially.
I agree with you on Fran. His tirades are appointment television, but every now and then they are effective in a positive way for Iowa

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Every team is gonna full court press us and dare TL to shoot. No brained on how to beat us.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
For the “corrupt refs/league crowd” can you give me any possible explanation why the Big 12 would want 0-8 Texas Tech to win tonight? What possible incentive could there be to screw us over? And only in the second half?

Get a damn drip people. We lose on foul differential every game because of how we play. Tonight was about having no offensive identity, handing them the ball and not guarding the ball.

Refs sucking so bad they affect the outcome doesn’t require some X-Files level conspiracy.

You’re inventing that straw man, exists only in your head.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
For the “corrupt refs/league crowd” can you give me any possible explanation why the Big 12 would want 0-8 Texas Tech to win tonight? What possible incentive could there be to screw us over? And only in the second half?

Get a damn drip people. We lose on foul differential every game because of how we play. Tonight was about having no offensive identity, handing them the ball and not guarding the ball.
I understand it's not a conspiracy to help tech, but do you really think we foul twice as much as tech? That them slapping Caleb on the arm for the crucial, game- tying possession wasn't a foul? That us grabbing at a ball for a held ball is a foul, but when they do it, it's a held ball? That Rob Jones being knocked off balance and falling down is a flop, rather than just a sub-par player falling down?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The refs did not cost us this game…. TJ did.

With that being said, something HAS to be done about officiating. The offensive player should not be allowed just to plow into the lane and run over people and get the blocking call every time.

What is the defender supposed to do when the offensive player drives into you and lowers their shoulder? It’s just stupid.

• Dumb
Reactions: jcisuclones

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Oh come on, of course we have. Last year's debacle to Texas Tech in the tournament. SEVERAL Prohm games.

We are going to learn about this team and the coaches though. I was super impressed how they came out tonight after a tough loss.
You’re impressed we blew a 23 point lead and gave Tech their biggest comeback in program history?

Reactions: Pizzapitter

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Because they were calling a foul every single time Tech drove the ball. We went from hardly any fouls to having our entire starting line almost foul out in about ten minutes of game time.
Well... we can either guard the ball 25 feet from the basket and move our feet to stay in front of them or back off and clog the lane. Instead we guarded 25 feet from the basket and then let them blow by us over and over and over again. Out of position teams ALWAYS get more fouls called on them.

Reactions: madguy30

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
For being an "old" team, there was abt zero leadership on the court 2nd half. Gabe, Holmes, Grill... need those older guards to step up and take control and calm everyone down. And they didnt.

Lipsey just left on an island, and he didnt handle it well. Not well at all.
Very good point. The 5th year guys especially needed to step up in OT. They all looked like they instead had curled up into the fetal position collectively

Cupped

Feb 11, 2016
This is why I sent my daughter to Grand View. She's still a Cyclone fan but she won't live and die with the sports programs like her mom and I and other Alumni.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
For the “corrupt refs/league” crowd can you give me any possible explanation why the Big 12 would want 0-8 Texas Tech to win tonight? What possible incentive could there be to screw us over? And only in the second half?
I mean, how much money bet on Tech do you think it took to swing the spread 4 points in Techs favor right before tip? Honest question