*** Official #13 IOWA STATE vs Texas Tech Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
For all the people whining about the refs.....we looked looked like a 7th grade B team for 10 of the 40 mins tonight. what I saw was a huge red flag and completely unacceptable.

we are at best a 10 win conference team if we are lucky. I think by the end of the year we are going to finish 6th and be probably a 7 or 8 seed. teams are figuring us out quick these days.

this one was very troubling to me to lose a 23 point lead to a winless team missing 2 starters.
coaches and players should be ashamed of this effort. I guess they can now go to the "nobody believes in us card" thats usually good for a win or two.

we just looked stupid, lost, weak, scared and got our ass handed to us coaching wise.
I have never seen a time out called and us settling for a shot like Grill took. unreal.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
KU is now must win to even think about Des Moines or a conference title

Just find like 4 more conference wins and get into the tourney.

Finding the confidence to do that might be trickier than we can imagine right now. One weird game can turn a season on its head quickly.

Reactions: CloneLawman

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Was that the worst half of basketball in the history of ISU men's basketball?

I don't think I've seen anything like it.

TT had 22 points at half.

I just can't even begin to understand what the game plan was. TJ has been great so far but that looked Steve prohm final season levels of bad.

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
No **** we had more fouls, when you give up penetration on every possession that's what happens. How can any fan of ISU not know that? It was a staple of Prohm's regime. It's not some grand conspiracy it's basketball 101.
We didn't suddenly start giving up penetration up 23, we did just suddenly start getting called for fouls on the same defense we had done all GE to that point

bizzle

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
NY, NY
Any idea what got us out of rhythm and changed the game? Obviously we made a lot of mistakes, but that doesn't happen without a really, really one sided crew.
The game changed when Lipsey threw that extremely casual pass to Holmes that Holmes also didn't really go after, the Tech dude caught it and scored and Holmes lazily fouled him. That got it to 15 and he made the free throw after the TV timeout. We had shut it down mentally already and wanted to get back to Ames and they turned it on. Once you've powered down it's hard to get back into a flow or a rhythm or even up to the speed of your opponent.

When Adams called those timeouts down the stretch rather than keeping Lipsey sped up I thought we were going to sneak out with a win and we almost did. He should have just let his team play and we would have turned it over more and lost in regulation.

TJ should have stuck with the 1-1-3, I thought. It was pretty effective against them. One of the frustrating things about being such a system program is we're gonna keep doing what we plan on doing all game every game--gonna keep playing extremely physical defense even when the refs tighten it up, gonna keep switching screens even though Osun gets killed on them. On the other hand, we're gonna keep forcing people to turn it over (most games). It is what it is.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
man there were so many coaching issues there.....not adjusting to Harmon, Lipsey couldn't guard him at all, and we made zero adjustments....the grill 30 footer out of a timeout.....the fouling every time down the floor, just hacking people.....complete lack of discipline on the defensive end....bizarre lineups for the last 10-15....completely abandoning the post game....Tre King must have pissed somebody off....everyone stopped moving offensively....wow, that

Tamin has to step up here, people are going to attack him defensively off the dribble and put ball pressure on him from here on out now...big challenge for him

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
he had a window to get a "make a point" T around 10-12 minutes left. in hindsight, it was a missed opportunity.
I agree. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but if TJ shows up the refs right there we probably win in regulation handily. But it isn't his style.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
This is not a game that a conference champion would lose which shows we still have a ways to go. Even Kansas on a bad night does not blow a 23 point lead to a winless conference foe.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
In my 22 years of life I don’t know that I’ve witnessed a more embarrassing loss in basketball

Oh come on, of course we have. Last year's debacle to Texas Tech in the tournament. SEVERAL Prohm games.

We are going to learn about this team and the coaches though. I was super impressed how they came out tonight after a tough loss.

daniel22

Mar 4, 2011
2nd time this season, Oklahoma State being the other, TJ has been horrifically out coached in 2nd half. Definitely something worth monitoring.
I still don’t understand why we didn’t go zone and force them to score from deep. They beat us at the FT and off turnovers the last 10

Reactions: exCYtable

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That may be true. OR, maybe the refs started giving us a foul EVERY TIME WE PLAYED D, so we backed off and they still gave us the fouls. The officials affected this game 100%.

I thought ISU was out of position and didn't block out worth a ****.

They looked tired to start the game and it showed late along with losing their minds.

They get a good few days to chew on this one and hopefully can regroup to compete Saturday.

Reactions: cyputz and CyNews