*** Official #13 IOWA STATE vs Texas Tech Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

peatyscotch

Feb 16, 2022
Not sure which is worse. The collapse of the team, or the collapse of the so-called fans on this forum. This team is so performing above its talent - remember we were picked to finish second last in the B12, but here they are challenging for 1st or 2nd. But the fans are calling for Lipsey's head, for TJ's head, etc. To me, it is disgusting. Of course, I am disappointed in the loss. but I'm, not going to throw the team under the bus because of it. There is lots of basketball to be played yet; I for one will be rooting for the guys no matter what. They are a great group of players, and a great group of people. Which is more than I can say about some of the people posting on this forum,.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Turnovers were much bigger issue but this team gets to 6 fouls so damn fast and once you get there all you have to do is put your head down and drive.

THIS is what happened. And that's all they did with the exception of maybe one three. And they called us on the drive EVERY time.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Now I gotta try to sleep after that **** and then wake up and relive it all day on Tuesday. No radio or TV for me tomorrow.

• Haha
Reactions: Nihawk

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I can’t help but think about how Texas Tech suddenly went from a 2 Pt underdog to a 2.5 pt favorite out of nowhere this afternoon (with no good news) and then the officials completely control the 2nd half of the game with foul calls in their favor.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
- Outside of Grill, the team shot 1-15 from 3
- Starting five combined for 16 turnovers and missed 9 FTs

Fortunately Grill has a long week to rest up for Kansas. Just need him to go 12 for 12 from deep instead of this 8 for 12 business.

Reactions: dahliaclone

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
I get all the complaints about the refs but the dude, Harmon, got 6 feet away before they started calling fouls. How is he getting that close every time? And we weren't doubling or pressuring. Perimeter defense is very slow.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
I thought ISU was out of position and didn't block out worth a ****.

They looked tired to start the game and it showed late along with losing their minds.

They get a good few days to chew on this one and hopefully can regroup to compete Saturday.
When they were in position they were being encroached upon from behind and then slapped around the head and neck once they secured the ball with no call.

I didn't think they looked that tired. AND I give you the last sentence.

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Not sure which is worse. The collapse of the team, or the collapse of the so-called fans on this forum. This team is so performing above its talent - remember we were picked to finish second last in the B12, but here they are challenging for 1st or 2nd. But the fans are calling for Lipsey's head, for TJ's head, etc. To me, it is disgusting. Of course, I am disappointed in the loss. but I'm, not going to throw the team under the bus because of it. There is lots of basketball to be played yet; I for one will be rooting for the guys no matter what. They are a great group of players, and a great group of people. Which is more than I can say about some of the people posting on this forum,.
It’s frustrating because if this team would have started out conference play poorly by losing to Baylor and losing to Oklahoma and TCU, then a loss like tonight wouldn’t hit hard.

But this team has shown that they CAN achieve greatness and get gutsy wins. That’s why fans are frustrated, gutted, perplexed.

Reactions: peatyscotch

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm not sure why everyone is always a "one side only person on these boards". Look, both things can be true, and like most things in life, that's usually the case.

1. We **** the bed with our turnovers and horrendous offense in the final 10 minutes of regulation. TJ was terrible tonight when the going got tough.

BUT

2. That was some of the worst officiating I have seen in some time. I am never one to blame officials for losses barring extreme circumstances. But the way that game was called in the final 10 minutes of regulation was completely ridiculous and changed how both teams could play. Our defense basically couldn't do what it does once they got whistled every time Tech was on offense. And that's not how they called the first 30 minutes of that game. Not to mention that absolute ********* non-call at the end of regulation when Grill should have been shooting free throws where he "turned it over". The guy almost takes his wrist off swiping at the ball.
Per point 2, remember, TJ said his style of ref working will even out the calls. The refs have been running over him for the last few games.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
2nd time this season, Oklahoma State being the other, TJ has been horrifically out coached in 2nd half. Definitely something worth monitoring.
Sometimes, he doesn't in game adjust well at this point, what really worries me is where were the assistants to help him there ....there were some obvious things there that needed to be done to stem that. I don't know where the assistants were defensively, there was some very simple things that could have been done on Harmon, and he just sat there and watched it

• Dumb
Reactions: peatyscotch

bizzle

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
NY, NY
Lipsey had a really, really tough night. I thought more than the turnovers what was killing us by the end was that he was doing whatever Tech's defense wanted him to do. This resulted in us having not really done anything with about 10 seconds left on the shot clock, when the ball would inevitably rotate to Holmes and get stuck with him. He was not in the mood to pass too much tonight.

Really frustrating game and I think we can all see the limitations on the team now. Our PG play is pretty much not very good and only two guys can handle the ball. Gabe and Grill do not want to handle the ball if they can avoid it. Osun can't play defense well if we switch everything.

But every team has limitations and problems--they feel more urgent and obvious when it is your own team. It will be up to the coaches in the 2nd half of the season to figure out solutions to these problems and get us ready for March.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Quit with the reffing stuff. We turned it over a million times, missed free throws and got outcoached. They got punched and bent over to take it.

Take a look at the foul differential. We can suck in the last ten minutes AND the refs can suck. They are not mutually exclusive.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: jctisu and CYDJ