*** Official #10 Illinois vs #4 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
I haven't seen many myself besides the plane over but I've been stopped a few times walking around Boston.

"is there a game tonight? I've seen a lot of Iowa State fans"

Hope we have a good showing. If not we're certainly "loud" in our pride wearing lol
First floor bar at Scores is pretty crowded with Iowa State fans. Spill-over second floor has a few.

Gonna be lots of UCONN fans around.

Reactions: rosshm16

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
You're wrong with the foul stats, but correct in the strategy. Two players in particular I think. It doesn't happen often, but there have a been a few games where Gilbert will pick up 2 early fouls and have to sit a fair bit in the first half. He's been so good defensively for us that any 6-8 minute stretch where he may be on the bench is a big challenge.

Then of course our bigs, particularly Ward. Hason has been incapable of staying out of foul trouble for a lot of the year and is super impactful when he is on the court. If it's one of those days where he can only play 10-12 minutes because of fouls, that bodes well for the Illini. If Hason can keep it clean and play ~20 minutes that's a big win for us, as his length/athleticism are immense for us on the defensive side and then the lob game offensively.
I'm specifically concerned about Shannon driving. He draws so many fouls on the drive where he initiates contact and gets the call. We need to a good job of cutting him off early, and then getting set on the help defense. He will pick up charges (but that depends on the refs, of course). 10 FTs is the target for me, if he's under 10 FTs, we're doing alright

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That is... very very not true. With all due respect, your friend is an idiot.

Only Hason Ward is significantly over 4 fouls per 40 minutes (6.5) - Tre King is 4.1, Bob Jones is 4.0, Watson is 4.3

View attachment 126542

And that's been managed very well over the season.

Pretty sure it's rare for most of them to even get 4 fouls.

That said a guy like Shannon will make an issue for the guards and I'd guess they have a plan to go after BRE and Ward early and often similar to ATM the other night.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
  • Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I’m interested to see what happens when Hawkins the defense starts to frustrate him. He seems to be a highly emotional player

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
KU had a good football team but that game was 'I think tonight's the night!' and then it wasn't unlike many a Cyclone game prior.

Hoping for a well played, clean game with no injuries.

But if ISU loses yeah a good idea to stay away. If you lurk you'll see some weirdos with all sorts of takes outside of reality consisting of but not limited to:

-refs hate ISU

-TJ isn't the guy for ISU (there's a few that show snippets of this no matter how many times he shows he is and need any reason to come back to it because he didn't apply on Indeed or something).

-ISU should have shot better (there's some that appear to think players choose whether or not they make shots)

-some stat/trend that ISU is strong in or IL isn't will not go accordingly and some won't understand that trends don't always hold up.

-to piggy back off of that, there will be 'a higher seed should never lose to a lower seed' angle regarding an NCAA tournament game.

-personal attacks on players from posters that have been banned previously for that very thing when this ISU team is a bunch of warriors that have already done great things.

My favorite is the beginning of game overreactions.

IL builds a small lead or ISU misses a few shots to open the game?

“Not our night! Why didn’t TJ have the guys ready? Typical Iowa State!”

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'm specifically concerned about Shannon driving. He draws so many fouls on the drive where he initiates contact and gets the call. We need to a good job of cutting him off early, and then getting set on the help defense. He will pick up charges (but that depends on the refs, of course). 10 FTs is the target for me, if he's under 10 FTs, we're doing alright

One answer: Sweep the leg.

troutslayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2011
I had the chance to stay there this past fall after the fire. The main restaurant and everything was closed but most of the lodging was still available. We had to walk down the mountain to get to a restaurant the night we arrived but otherwise, had no issues.

Cannot recommend the north shore area enough, Superior is absolutely beautiful and the elevation changes/variation blew my mind on the first visit up that way.
The fire is now being investigated as a crime.

That said, I am done reading message boards about this game. Let's GO already!