Not so fast my firend...

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
So Texas and A&M are meeting to save the conference?

Not Texas, A&M, ISU, KU, KSU .. and whomever the hell is left

That probably tells us all we need to know.

I hate the Big 10 but this is the reason ISU needs to go to the Big 10 and the reason other schools are going to leave.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
SEC is laughing at all that is going on, they are not looking to expand and dilute the money that all the teams are getting, nor are they worried about losing any teams.

I think the SEC will expand once the other BCS conferences begin to have more than 12 members.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
I think the SEC will expand once the other BCS conferences begin to have more than 12 members.

they are already the premiere football conference by a landslide and no one cares about anything else down there. they are getting 240M a year as a conference from ESPN and CBS for the next 14 years. the SEC caught lightning in a bottle when negotiating these contracts and no other conference will be able to get that much. not the big10 network, not a pac10 network, and not a big12 network it just isnt going to happen. why would the members of the SEC vote to expand a conference in which they are leaps and bounds better than anyone else and take a paycut at the same time? it wont!

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
This is why I think this is all crap..

SO Nebraska leaves? Your telling me that ruins the conference?

Add BYU and Utah to the South. Then move OU to the North and add Boise State.

Then you could add more to get to 16 if needed. I am pretty drunk right now though.

It ruins the TV contract with Fox that was likely the only reason that Texas was even thinking of staying in the conference. Perhaps, a exec with Fox will also be at this meeting to see if this deal can be reworked without Nebraska. With Mizzou staying, we lost a big name but not a big market. Maybe there is still a chance that offer could still be on the table if they get two decent teams to come in.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
The Big 12 needs to get 4 teams to replace CU and NU. I would look at Louisville, Boise St, Cincinatti and any one of these three in this order BYU, Utah and Colorado St.

This opens up new TV 'markets' for the Big 12, is feasible, allows the Big 12 to keep a championship game and would probably open up a television network of some sort. Beebe keeps thinking in terms of 12 and it is not good. I think if you can get the teams I mentioned competition in football could be decent and I think the conference increases its basketball stature even more.

Is this possible? Depends on what the Southern schools want to do and if Beebe has any balls.

Reactions: Wesley

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
well, I have been a Texas detractor for some time. I always knew where we stood in this conference. But if Texas can hold this thing together...well I have a new respect for the longhorns. We could find a lot worse coattails than UT. At this point the goal isn't pride, it is keep your head above water if you are ISU and live to fight another day. Mizzou...if they remain...is now my biggest rival. Texas could offer Arkansas a place in the north where Arkansas will think they have a shot at a lot of wins, coupled with a big TV contract pending and Arkansas could bite...even with the SEC. Then, pull in Utah or BYU, or New Mexico and BAM...right back in this thing. Never count out Texas and as long as they have a bigXII logo on, I'm with them. Now if Texas is out, we are f'd.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
You get BYU you absolutely get a National fanbase. I think they should be the first target, then Cincinatti.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Like I've said, NU is VERY replaceable. It's all a matter of whether or not Texas wants to.

Texas is going to argue that the Pac 16 superconference is going to be worthy of TWO automatic qualifiers for the BCS, one for each division and ensuring they won't have a need for that pesky and troublesome conference championship game.

In the end they will want to take that with them too. Leaving the rest of us with nothing to attract new teams to build around. Just watch.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Texas is going to argue that the Pac 16 superconference is going to be worthy of TWO automatic qualifiers for the BCS, one for each division and ensuring they won't have a need for that pesky and troublesome conference championship game.

In the end they will want to take that with them too. Leaving the rest of us with nothing to attract new teams to build around. Just watch.

There is no way the BCS allows this. If they wanted to create such a big league then they'll have to deal with only one AQ. In reality though, a conference like that should never have to worry about getting two teams in the BCS.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
well, I have been a Texas detractor for some time. I always knew where we stood in this conference. But if Texas can hold this thing together...well I have a new respect for the longhorns. We could find a lot worse coattails than UT. At this point the goal isn't pride, it is keep your head above water if you are ISU and live to fight another day. Mizzou...if they remain...is now my biggest rival. Texas could offer Arkansas a place in the north where Arkansas will think they have a shot at a lot of wins, coupled with a big TV contract pending and Arkansas could bite...even with the SEC. Then, pull in Utah or BYU, or New Mexico and BAM...right back in this thing. Never count out Texas and as long as they have a bigXII logo on, I'm with them. Now if Texas is out, we are f'd.

I don't know if the conference will survive all this, but even if A$M and Texas decide not to blow it up immediately, the Big 12 is still a dead conference walking. They've shown their colors, and the conference deathwatch will become an annual occurrence.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
Texas is only meeting with A&M to convince them to come with them to the Pac10. They don't want to compete with A&M for recruits if A&M is in the SEC, and they don't want the SEC schools to have a better chance of recruiting the Texas high schools. This has nothing to do with the Big 12. That conference is already in the Longhorns rear view mirror.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK

IMO if they want two bids they should just make two 8 team conferences each worthy of an automatic bid, not one 16 team mega conference.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
There is no way the BCS allows this. If they wanted to create such a big league then they'll have to deal with only one AQ. In reality though, a conference like that should never have to worry about getting two teams in the BCS.

The BCS is controlled by the power conferences.
A better hope is that people get politically active and force the anti-trust issue.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
All of this talk makes me think that the federal government should tax the NCAA.... I already find it amazing that they seem to be taxing everything else and not a peep yet about the NCAA. Seems like its all about the money and nobody gives a d)#$( about tradition.