Nikki Moody sues Bill Fennelly over Racial Discrimination...

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
I may not have to advise top girls basketball players in SD that they do not want to play for that POS anymore. I contacted the coach of one player, and soon found out that she already knew enough to not consider it.

Folks, this guy is a pretty big deal who needs to be taken seriously. You just don't become the gatekeeper of South Dakota Women's Basketball by accident.

We should be honored to be in his presence.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I got a kick out of the claim of "emotional distress" caused by Moody. Really? I got "emotional distress" watching the team play this year without her. Seems like the team kinda missed Moody. You know, our all-time assist leader? Yet tons of posters call her "selfish." OK...

Tornadoman never failing to surprise us. Glad to see you took a break from your tube socks after maccarney came back to town.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
And that's the problem with this. Now, it's spreading across the internet labeling him as racist, without any of the accounts of other former players who are blowing holes in Nikki's story. Just another trial by media.

Yeah it was a typical Gawker format where the man is keeping some poor minority down. While that may have been what happened their approach to anything is definitely biased.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
I got a kick out of the claim of "emotional distress" caused by Moody. Really? I got "emotional distress" watching the team play this year without her. Seems like the team kinda missed Moody. You know, our all-time assist leader? Yet tons of posters call her "selfish." OK...

Its almost like playing a game and how you act in real life are two different things.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Folks, this guy is a pretty big deal who needs to be taken seriously. You just don't become the gatekeeper of South Dakota Women's Basketball by accident.

We should be honored to be in his presence.

This is kind of one of the things that turns me off of women's sports. The people involved in it just think it's something that everyone is missing out on and they are the chosen few that really "get" it, and like the recruitment process and everything is like some bfd. Rather than being gracious and humble and letting the play on the fields/courts do the talking they make it all about the behind the scenes overbearing sports parent stuff.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
After hearing what Cole and Kidd said, I am 100% certain moody doesn't want this going to trial. She doesn't want her dirty laundry aired. I said when she was suspended, after hearing what she did, she needed to be booted. This came back to bite BF in the butt. IMO, Nikki is looking for some cash and to bring down a coach she didn't like, problem is her past also.

I keep seeing people reference what Moody "did." So what exactly did she do while on the team that was so bad? It almost seems like it's supposed to be common knowledge, but no one is giving specifics.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Some quick, general takes from the legal perspective -

- Fielder and Timmer is an excellent law firm. Quite possibly the best in the state at what they do. That doesn't mean that this case is good or bad, but Nikki will have as good of representation as possible. Also, they are likely getting paid on a contingency or % basis which means they think there is a good enough chance to get paid here that they are willing to risk not getting paid at all.

- The right to sue or ability to sue letter from the Civil Right Commission is standard fare and should not be interpreted as a validation of any claims.

- While it's of course about money, I doubt that either Nikki or her attorneys thought there was any realistic possibility that a settlement would occur without a lawsuit being filed, depositions being taken and, potentially a full trial. This isn't about getting a bluff called or thinking they could just write a couple of letters and get paid. Again, doesn't mean their right, but don't think that they expected to get any sort of offer at this point. When the attorney signed on, they did it for the long haul.

- These types of cases are tough in general. To show that you were treated differently, because of race, and that that treatment lead to _______ in damages rather than something else is a tough mountain to climb. But again, this isn't a bad law firm and they've obviously thought of that and they're going to have more evidence than just Nikki going up there and saying what is written in the lawsuit.

Just based on the fact they couldn't get names or spelling right in the lawsuit, if this is the case, I think there probably isn't a lot of stiff competition.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Moody's allegations might be fabricated, but it takes a lot of chutzpah to sue your former coach and university. That's not something you do lightly. There is more to this story than Moody being a drama queen, bad seed, or whatever form of character assassination you want to use.

I also find it very difficult to believe that BF is a racist. It just sounds like he is a real hard-***. Could some of his "motivational" speeches cross a line and veer into racially charged language? Yeah, I could believe that.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
The way this whole thing seems to be unfolding with Moody's "word" versus virtually all other witnesses, including some people named in the suit, she may be lucky if BF does not file a defamation lawsuit against her when this is over.

It is starting to look like Nikki got some bad legal advice from some lawyers who apparently did little or no research into her claims. When someone is named in a lawsuit (like Chassidy and Brynn were) wouldn't the first step be to contact them to see if they would support what was being claimed by your client? DUH.

Maybe her lawyers got their degrees from that school in eastern Iowa and they were blinded to the facts.

Last edited:

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Just based on the fact they couldn't get names or spelling right in the lawsuit, if this is the case, I think there probably isn't a lot of stiff competition.
Yeah I don't know the rankings of lawyers in the state or anything, but I have a really hard time believing this is top level stuff. They may be an excellent law firm, but I think they have made a big mistake here.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Megan Taylor was 100 times the player Moody was

Megan Taylor 1000 times the player Kidd was CONFIRMED!

But seriously, this case will be interesting to say the least. Personally, I'm not buying into it, but it still bodes very poorly for ISU as a whole, regardless of case outcome.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Similar pattern. Permission to sue means that they think it's possible. Doesn't mean they think it is probable. You're reading too much into the Permission to Sue; it appears to be pretty standard if mediation is not successful.

They elected mediation and not an investigation. If it was an investigation and not mediation there would have been a possibility of a finding of no probable cause (NPC) and no lawsuit. If I understand it correctly, in mediation there is no such determination and the lawsuit "approval" would be routine as long as it met the time standards etc.

In order to get to that point of mediation/investigation, her complaint had to pass the initial screening, in which the link states that 60% of the complaints are "screened out". Somehow, ICRC saw enough to move forward. Are both of you stating as fact that the lawsuit approval is routine after mediation fails, or is that just an opinion based on reading of the ICRC link?

The decision by ISU to chose mediation is an interesting one. The ISU statement yesterday seemed to indicate that ISU was quite certain that the charges have no basis. In that case, investigation seems a good choice, as it would keep things internal and avoid the risk of a failed mediation and public trial if the right to sue is granted. Perhaps ISU was trying to be take more generous, less hostile approach with Moody.

The ICRC procedure is somewhat odd IMO. If mediation fails, it seems the case should roll into the investigation phase, but instead it just seems to "end", and the plaintiff can request the right to sue. Maybe there is more procedure than what is described in the link.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
62986939.jpg

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
From what I can see since she was given the "right to sue" her case was "screened out". Per the language on the site being "screened out" isn't the best case scenario in cases brought before the icrc. If there was a good case here it would have been "screened in" where the commision immediately recommends mediation.

I guess I was reading the exact opposite. Since a mediation was offered, I assumed that the case was "screened in" per (5).

4. The screening process internally begins when both parties respond to the questionnaire and the goal is to have the case screened within 120 days. On average, 60% of the cases are “screened out.” Complainants whose cases are screened out may request a right-to-sue letter. Complainants whose cases are screened out may request reconsideration/reopening. An internal committee reviews reconsideration requests.

5. Those cases where further investigation is needed are “screened in.” All parties are sent a letter offering mediation. It is the Agencies’ goal to have the case mediated within 60 days of the screening decision.

I assumed that the mediation mentioned in the link posted earlier was part of the ICRC process.

In January, there was a mediation between all the parties involved, according to Timmer, but there wasn’t any headway made toward a “meaningful resolution.”

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I guess I was reading the exact opposite. Since a mediation was offered, I assumed that the case was "screened in" per (5).

Look at your post below. It looks like ISU offered the mediation, they weren't compelled to mediation by the icrc.

After the mediation didn't go anywhere Moody went to the icrc and they screened her out and granted the "right to sue".

Help Support Us

Become a patron