New Coordinators?

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
I knew the statement was from 06, but Chizik had no interest in him then, and he is just too young and inexperienced because the most likely scenario right now is that Chizik takes over DC responsibilities. So he is going to need an experienced OC that can hold his own end of the staple down.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
So, with Chizik possibly taking over DC, does that mean we have more money to spend on an OC that would have otherwise been out of our league?

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
So, with Chizik possibly taking over DC, does that mean we have more money to spend on an OC that would have otherwise been out of our league?

Somewhat... mind you we still have Bolt and MacFarland on the payroll. But, ofcourse it liquidates some cash by us not having to fill a DC role. I think its a good situation, and the players want Chiz to take over the D

clonefan_80

May 28, 2007
Ames
Pretty good chance that Gene Chizik is the Defensive Coordinator in waiting at ISU. Noone knows his defense better than him. Take the time to find a quality OC that can lead his end of the deal, and the rest is cake.

I don't understand why this wasn't done the first time around.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Is this a typical situation for a head coach to take over responsibilities as an DC or OC if they specialized in that? Are there any other universities that have it set up that way?

klerme

Apr 11, 2006
Somewhat... mind you we still have Bolt and MacFarland on the payroll. But, ofcourse it liquidates some cash by us not having to fill a DC role. I think its a good situation, and the players want Chiz to take over the D

Under this scenario, does Koonz then take over the role of secondary coach or do we hire someone from the outside that is also a strong recruiter? I mentioned yesterday that I felt that a good secondary coach would be someone like Aaron Alford, the Utah CB coach who, based on an educated guess, is probably related to former RB coach Tony Alford (both attended Colorado State).

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
Thats a good question, really i think if Chiz takes over DC that he will let Koonz run the Secondary. But i can also see him bringing a guy in so he doesnt get swamped. Chiziks specialty is the secondary, so being the DC, he can really help out. It will be interesting for sure

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
PS, Koonz is an outstanding motivator and student of the game, he is going to do good things in his career. I didnt like Raney at all.

klerme

Apr 11, 2006
PS, Koonz is an outstanding motivator and student of the game, he is going to do good things in his career. I didnt like Raney at all.

Thanks for the insight. Any of your own thoughts on who may be a target for OC recognizing what you have previously stated about Applewhite?

cgwarrior33

Mar 27, 2006
Norwalk, Iowa
Is this a typical situation for a head coach to take over responsibilities as an DC or OC if they specialized in that? Are there any other universities that have it set up that way?

I know USC did it this way a couple year ago with Petey boy calling the defense, I don't know if this is still the case. Charlie Weiss took over play calling duties for the offense late in the year this year.