New Coordinators?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cloner97

Apr 11, 2006
Thats hilarious!!! That was the same exact thought that crossed my mind when I read that post.

Not so fast my friends. Greg Robinson was the DC in Denver and won 2 Super Bowls. No one could have done well in KC on defense when Vermail was there, he didn't care about the defense.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I don't think Chizik would have demoted McFarland unless he already had a probable replacement in line. It's almost certainly going to be someone who takes over as both coordinator and QB coach. Having McFarland on hand as assistant head coach will help with the transition. I don't have any information to go on, but I really think it will be Major Applewhite. He's already been offensive coordinator at Rice, and he's no longer in line to be head coach at Texas (that will be Muschamp) so I look for Applewhite to leave Texas next year. ISU might be a logical next step for him. Our offense is already in pretty good shape. If Chizik and Applewhite succeed together, then one of them will move on to a better job.

Reactions: jaretac

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Here's a potential "replacement"

43719.jpg

"Winners always want the ball... when the game is on the line."

Jimmy McGinty: You know what seperates the winners from the losers?
Shane Falco: The score.
Jimmy McGinty: No, getting back on the horse after getting kicked in the teeth.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I don't think Chizik would have demoted McFarland unless he already had a probable replacement in line. It's almost certainly going to be someone who takes over as both coordinator and QB coach. Having McFarland on hand as assistant head coach will help with the transition. I don't have any information to go on, but I really think it will be Major Applewhite. He's already been offensive coordinator at Rice, and he's no longer in line to be head coach at Texas (that will be Muschamp) so I look for Applewhite to leave Texas next year. ISU might be a logical next step for him. Our offense is already in pretty good shape. If Chizik and Applewhite succeed together, then one of them will move on to a better job.

agree completely. Even if it's not Applewhite (preparing myself for a let down) it will be a OC and QB coach in a combined position. Those are the kind of coaches we should be looking at, current or former Qb coaches. We may end up with a coach strictly for the secondary because of how bad it is, but I definitely see the QB and OC positions combining in the near future.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Here's a potential "replacement"

43719.jpg

"Winners always want the ball... when the game is on the line."

Jimmy McGinty: You know what seperates the winners from the losers?
Shane Falco: The score.
Jimmy McGinty: No, getting back on the horse after getting kicked in the teeth.
Thanks Footsteps! :wink:

Great movie!

On another note, the thought of Major Applewhite leaves me salivating...or maybe its the chocolate chip M&M cookies on the plate in front of me :biggrin:

leg4cy

Apr 12, 2006
Humboldt, IA
I'll add to the speculation that I think it's Applewhite as the OC. Muschamp has the job that he probably desires. He has a connection to Chizik and was rumored to be coming here two years ago. He gets to resume his position as an OC along with coaching his former position. Finally, ISU33 has been hinting that it's a guy that can really help with recruiting. Applewhite lured some prized recruits to Alabama when he was there. Wiki lists Applewhite's salary as $250,000 which I think we can at least match.

Cyintex

Jan 25, 2008
Driftwood, Tx
Have no idea who the next coordinators will be but it got me thinking about how Chizik would sell these job opportunities to someone. Obviously he'll sell the University, the small town atmosphere, etc... but what does he say about our program to get you to take a chance....if you were an up and coming DC, would the potential of the defensive personnel we have coming back be enough to sway you to take the job?.. or would you say you weren't going to touch it. I think the OC position is an easier sell considering the potential we have coming back.

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
Someone posted a few weeks ago that Pelton would replace Bolt as the DC. This was obviously long before we knew that Bolt was going to be demoted. I can not remember who the poster was and I am too lazy to go back and look for it. Could this be a possibility?

I would be extremely happy with Applewhite and Gene becoming the new coordinators. Gene was considered one of the best if not the best defensive coordinator in America 2 years ago.

cyentist

Oct 11, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Have no idea who the next coordinators will be but it got me thinking about how Chizik would sell these job opportunities to someone. Obviously he'll sell the University, the small town atmosphere, etc... but what does he say about our program to get you to take a chance....if you were an up and coming DC, would the potential of the defensive personnel we have coming back be enough to sway you to take the job?.. or would you say you weren't going to touch it. I think the OC position is an easier sell considering the potential we have coming back.

I think this has been the feeling since the news broke, no, we aren't going to probably get a BCS conference OC/DC with a lot of experience, but a up and coming assistant with little to no BCS OC/DC experience (aka Applewhite) may take the risk in order to get that type of experience.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
All these hopes of big name coordinators is very wishful thinking. Yeah, itd be great to get Applewhite or the kid from OU, its very unlikely though. Chances are, Chizik will hire someone less known and for cheaper, a diamond in the rough if you will. Most coordinators look to go up in the system, ISU is certainly not up.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
All these hopes of big name coordinators is very wishful thinking. Yeah, itd be great to get Applewhite or the kid from OU, its very unlikely though. Chances are, Chizik will hire someone less known and for cheaper, a diamond in the rough if you will. Most coordinators look to go up in the system, ISU is certainly not up.

I respectfully disagree. I think we can get a good OC and DC in here, because right now, the big 12 is the place to be at any school in the conference. We do pay a competitive salary.