Negativity is embarrassing

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Get off your soap box ...you know what everyone is saying. Of course we have to have the sports. No one is saying that.

The point is that football and men's basketball are the most important sports for any athletic department and that the vast majority of the fan base puts most emphasis on these sports.

Get over yourself...

You first...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: isunorth

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Get off your soap box...you know what everyone is saying. Of course we have to have the sports. No one is saying that.

The point is that football and men's basketball are the most important sports for any athletic department and that the vast majority of the fan base puts most emphasis on these sports.

Get over yourself...

Excellent post. Very well stated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cubsfan

Feb 9, 2009
Des Moines
I actually think a lot of people would be upset if we only had football and men's basketball, judging by our attendance figures in women's basketball, volleyball and wrestling. Football and men's basketball are obviously the sports that need to be successful to bring in the money (football moreso than basketball), and of course some fans only care about those. But I think a lot of people take a lot of pride in the "olympic sports" and women's basketball, and with the success they are having the current generation of ISU students will probably support these programs in the future.

I don't know how people can continually bash on Pollard. The Chizik hire, at the time, seemed like a great hire, and no one could have seen it ending up quite like it did. There was more fan excitement in Jack Trice during Chizik's two years than McCarney's last year. McDermott seemed like a great hire at the time as well; he had just coached UNI to three straight tournaments, and Morgan was underachieving. Pollard has not been afraid to shake things up, and when you do that some things are going to work and some things aren't. But at least he has the attitude that Iowa State is not going to settle for mediocrity and strive to be the best. That's something I feel like Iowa State lacked before he got there.

adub3782

Dec 7, 2009
D-port
Just so you know, no AD has ever been measured by how good they do in just football and mens bball, those may be your favorite sports but they are not everyones favorite sports. Believe it or not, some people do care about what the gymnastics team does, or the softball team or any of the other sports that dont make any money and you dont happen to like. Pollard is the athletics director, not the football and mens basketball director. Without Pollard, the basketball team would still be practicing in forker. Have you ever been in forker? It isnt a place for a high school team to be practicing, let alone a division one team. For whoever said that 95 percent of the fans wouldnt care if we dropped the other sports as long as football and mens bball were good, well they probably would care because if we dropped the other sports, we wouldnt have a football or mens basketball team either. Its called title nine, look into it.

Reactions: isunorth

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
First I love the new facilities we have the product to produce and be contenders in the Big12 North if not the Big 12 period.

What I dont like is supporting a program that has fallen flat on there face and noting is getting done about it. I pay for memorbilia, tickets, drinks, food, and I know that I will get mediocre production from the coaching staff. Almost like they have given up, but I know they have not. We have the players to make this team hit the NCAA tournement, yes we lost three games, but we should have won those.

When we get to the Big12 games, we may be looking into a abyss of disapointment. Last thing I would want is this team (players) to feel like we all have given up on them. Tey are here to represent ISU, I just dont think the system that they are trying to incorporate is working.

Who do I blame? Whoever fits to be blamed...Sure the coaches cant do the rebounds, or the shooting, but who is to blame?

You can blame the coaches for not coaching, then you can blame the players for not performing, which goes back to the coaches for not....see what I mean.

ISU neds to find out what the problem is and fix it...FAST

adub3782

Dec 7, 2009
D-port
Maybe you should read a post, both posts number 76 and 80 appear to imply that the university should not have the other sports. I guess being that I am new to the board I am unfamiliar with what a fan of the university is so enlighten me on that. I was under the impression that someone who was a fan of Iowa State was a fan of all sports and wanted to see the university do good in all sports. 100 percent of fans of Iowa State like to see all the teams do good. Maybe 100 percent of fans of just the mens basketball team dont really care. You said that football and mens basketball are the most important sports for any athletic department. Well, what about athletic departments that dont have one of these sports? Is football the most important sport at Hofstra?

Reactions: simville02

isunorth

Mar 3, 2009
Minneapolis
Maybe you should read a post, both posts number 76 and 80 appear to imply that the university should not have the other sports. I guess being that I am new to the board I am unfamiliar with what a fan of the university is so enlighten me on that. I was under the impression that someone who was a fan of Iowa State was a fan of all sports and wanted to see the university do good in all sports. 100 percent of fans of Iowa State like to see all the teams do good. Maybe 100 percent of fans of just the mens basketball team dont really care. You said that football and mens basketball are the most important sports for any athletic department. Well, what about athletic departments that dont have one of these sports? Is football the most important sport at Hofstra?

Dumbest second post ever.

First, #80 and #76 imply the posters would not care nor would most of the fan base. Nowhere does it say they should get rid of the other sports. Learn to read, you fool.

Second, no one on here is wishing a lack of success on any of our programs. The more the merrier. The fact of the matter is that Jamie Pollard will need to sustain success in football and basketball if he wants to keep his job and keep the coffers full. VB, Gymnastics, Wrestling, etc don't pay the bills. It's a fact of life. Success in football and basketball will keep his job...the less popular sports will not save him nor will they keep money coming in. Attendance numbers and revenue make this very clear.

Third, we're not Hofstra. We're Iowa State. We play in the Big 12 which is one of the premier athletic conferences in the country. to compare us with Hofsta shows what a fool you are.

Try again and remember 3 strikes and you're out.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
The day we admit our mistake and decide to hire a new coach is one day closer to returning this program to a competitive position. The future could be tomorrow, embrace it.

Oh wait, some of you seriously think that GMac is just sooooo much smarter than us that watching this for 4 years does not mean a thing, it is all lollipops.

Agree.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Worst first post of all time. Go back to your cave you f**king troll.

What the heck? I don't see anything posted that should get this reply. Seriously, grow up and have a real debate. If you disagree, then disagree, but nothing should get this kind of reply with what they're suggesting. This is the kind of comment that we DON'T need on this board; I don't care whether you're right or not. Act a little bit more maturely. Gosh.

Everyone here knows about title 9 and no one here has suggested we get rid of other sports. Read a post before you open your mouth.

Maybe we should go back to practicing in a crappy gym. Our 4 previous coaches seemed to do alright with it.

ADs are measured by how much money they can bring in which usually has a direct correlation to how well you do in football and men's basketball. You think ADs get fired because they can't compete in women's gymnastics? Seriously, get a clue.

95% of fans don't give a sh*t about gymnastics or swimming or golf or cross country or tennis or anything else. Title 9 is atheletic welfare and everyone knows it.

And 100% of fans think you're a f**king idiot.

OK, I don't think he's a f**king idiot; maybe a little bit off, but just because someone doesn't think something's as obvious as you do doesn't make them wrong. It may make them wrong to you, but hey, I don't think Title 9 is athletic welfare so much as it really is trying to promote getting more girls and women into sports. Can it be such a bad thing that we're trying to open some more doors for people that haven't had those opportunities before? Look at the state of girl's and women's athletic programs across the country right now, especially for kids and high-schoolers, and tell me that the legislation hasn't had a positive impact. Sure, it may make ISU and other schools have to carry sports that you might find pointless, but just as ISU wouldn't be a university without the College of LAS (it would be an engineering, design, business, and ag technical school), our athletic department would be diminished if we didn't have those other sports. Our basketball program may not have our confidence right now, but there is a lot going on other than just that...and I'm not the ONLY one who cares about it.

And, I might ask you as well, have you looked at the banners on the ceiling of Hilton? Where have we won our national championships? Wrestling, cross country, and gymnastics. Where is our volleyball program now? 10,000 in the seats for the Nebraska game says something. How about women's basketball? Top 10 attendance in the nation, year after year. The wrestling meet against Iowa. The softball team getting better. Gymnastics in the Super 6 not too many years ago. While you might think MBB and FB are all that matters, and frankly, they're what I follow for the most part as well, without these programs, what would our graduation rates be? What kind of level of competitiveness would we be sitting at in the Big XII? So, no, Title IX is not necessarily academic welfare to "everyone," and no, I don't think 95% of fans could care less about our other sports. It may be a high percentage, but don't claim to speak for everyone and then not allow anyone else to do the same. Seriously.

Phew.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I like how speaking the truth and stating your opinion as an ISU fan on Cyclonefanatic is always equated to being "negative" and a "fair weathered fan." I'm just a realist, and the reality is - McDermott was a huge mistake.

Reactions: j4state

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I should re-state. Nothing wrong with frustration or negativity. What is embarrassing is the whining and complaining like immature kids on this site.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
*****Warning*******
Don't say anything truthfull on this website or you will be lambasted by the people that accept losing and "just want to play fair"
People, nobody outside of Ames cares if we are good at Womens Volleyball. For us to be able to win, recruit and be a success we have to be good at Football and Basketball. That helps with enrollment numbers and gets more money from the confrence. You guys can talk about how much you love losing all you want, but you people are the reason we are the laughing stock of the Big 12.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
What I find particularly interesting is how these so called "truthful" or "realist" fans, only seem to show after a loss.

It's easy to see when you look through thread histories...

After a win, a few threads - most with a few dozen posts.

After a loss - dozens if quite literally not almost 100 threads, many with posts in in the 100's.

Where are all these "foul weathered" fans to be found when things are going right? Where's the support and "atta boy" after the W's?

The post history of a good number of "fans" that show on this site, reads like a book. They only got something to say when they can rant, whine, and *****.

Annonymity is a great thing when it allows you to say something you wouldn't otherwise put your name on.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
What I find particularly interesting is how these so called "truthful" or "realist" fans, only seem to show after a loss.

After a loss - dozens if quite literally not almost 100 threads, many with posts in in the 100's.

Where are all these "foul weathered" fans to be found when things are going right? Where's the support and "atta boy" after the W's?

The post history of a good number of "fans" that show on this site, reads like a book. They only got something to say when they can rant, whine, and *****.

Annonymity is a great thing when it allows you to say something you wouldn't otherwise put your name on.

You shouldn't have to give somebody an "atta boy" for winning against UNI at home. We should be expecting victories with this team, not just being happy for the ones that we don't manage to lose.
And could it be that people are more vocal after losses is because as a fan base all we usually have to deal with are losses and there aren't that many "atta boys" to go around? Yes peoples posts are higher when we lose, that is becuase apalogist like you like to come on and say, "It is going in the right direction, just wait on it" and this makes people who like to win angry, because you are holding the programs back by making excuses. Feel free to expect success and ask for it.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
You shouldn't have to give somebody an "atta boy" for winning against UNI at home. We should be expecting victories with this team, not just being happy for the ones that we don't manage to lose.
And could it be that people are more vocal after losses is because as a fan base all we usually have to deal with are losses and there aren't that many "atta boys" to go around? Yes peoples posts are higher when we lose, that is becuase apalogist like you like to come on and say, "It is going in the right direction, just wait on it" and this makes people who like to win angry, because you are holding the programs back by making excuses. Feel free to expect success and ask for it.

I'm an "apologist"?

Not sure I've made a single comment about the ball club at all. You have no clue what my position is on the team - or the coach. Just because, unlike others, I don't act like an toddler who lost his pacifier, after a loss - doesn't mean I'm satisfied or even happy.

I'm talking about the insane ranting of people who call themselves fans - but really are anything but.

Last edited:

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
The open-mouthed kisses some posters give to Greg personally embarrass me more than any negative posts.

If people weren't negative about the direction of the basketball team at this point they'd be crazy. Year 4 with a supposed NBA 1st rounder on our team. We just lost to Northwestern / UNI / Cal ...

if we lose to Iowa the "negativity" you've seen so far will seem like daisies and pixie dust.

Reactions: j4state

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA

I've been a member of this board since October 2008. Since that time, what has happened in men's basketball to give an "atta boy"? Should I be giving out high fives for things we're supposed to be doing? Here's a high five for moderating.