Negativity is embarrassing

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
It's one thing to rip on a team that just isn't very good, but busts their butts every game...it's another thing to rip on a team that doesn't give an honest effort.

After the last two games, I'd say criticizing this team is pretty fair...the last 3 years we watched some bad basketball, but at least the guys on the court were giving all they had. This is P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C.

Reactions: 52ynnel and j4state

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
I understand ppl are upset, but it seems like the same people that get the most mad, seem to be the most happy when we win, Im going to start keeping track of who says what, and throw it back in their face when we start to win, if the Football team loses thier bowl game are we going to meltdown like we do after every BB lost, i mean we played a top 25 team on their own court after they had a bad loss. Grow up, stop ******** about the lack of HILTON MAGIC, the negative comments and not supporting the coach and the players is what killed the MAGIC, not the other way around HILTON MAGIC was all about supporting the team no matter their winning record, or did we forget that.

LETS GO STATE

Well, i dont think its the fans, maybe the fans are mad because they do support Iowa state alot and this team, but what have we seen, i mean its one thing to have a losing season here or there, but this team has made no progress at all in the last three years....

Look at Iowa they suck and their fans dont show up at all....we suck but hilton is still always pretty decently full, we come out to watch our team lose week after week so dont say its the fans ruining this team, as a fan base were allowed to be frustrated after 3 years of no progress at all

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Are we suppose to be happy the BB team that was suppose to be good isnt.

Cubsfan

Feb 9, 2009
Des Moines
I understand ppl are upset, but it seems like the same people that get the most mad, seem to be the most happy when we win, Im going to start keeping track of who says what, and throw it back in their face when we start to win, if the Football team loses thier bowl game are we going to meltdown like we do after every BB lost, i mean we played a top 25 team on their own court after they had a bad loss. Grow up, stop ******** about the lack of HILTON MAGIC, the negative comments and not supporting the coach and the players is what killed the MAGIC, not the other way around HILTON MAGIC was all about supporting the team no matter their winning record, or did we forget that.

LETS GO STATE

So just because people are frustrated when we lose means they're not allowed to be happy when they win? I thought that's what being a fan meant. We all care a lot and want Iowa State to win, so it's only natural we would be upset when games like tonight happen.

bel79

Jan 12, 2009
REBOUND!!!!!! This is like watching high school. This is fundamental basketball BLOCK OUT! Been to Chicago; Been to the UNI game!! Watched Cal game; Play some f***** defense!!!! BASIC DEFENSE!!!! or get beet by 20.

nickcyv

Apr 29, 2009
Whats embarrassing is this basketball team... The fans have a right to be ******! Expectations are way to far down and its McDermott's fault.

Reactions: 52ynnel

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
To all of the "fans" who talk trash after wins and who go into meltdown mode after losses, grow up. You remind me of little kids who get way too excited one minute and then throw a temper tantrum the next minute. You're behavior is embarrassing.

In sports, you're rarely as good as you think you are after a big win and you're rarely as bad as you think you are after a disappointing loss.

We've lost two games to NCAA tournament teams who are favored to win their respective conferences and a very close game to a surprisingly good Northwestern team when we had less than 24 hours to prepare for their difficult style. You act like these losses are absolutely unexcusable for a program that hasn't gone to the dance for several years.

If this is the worst problem you have in your life, be thankful.

Reactions: Cytaki and isucyfan

DenverClone

Apr 11, 2006
you are kidding...right?
I want to positively affirm that this team and this coach is really, quite frankly, not very good...
.....that better?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
To all of the "fans" who talk trash after wins and who go into meltdown mode after losses, grow up. You remind me of little kids who get way too excited one minute and then throw a temper tantrum the next minute. You're behavior is embarrassing.

In sports, you're rarely as good as you think you are after a big win and you're rarely as bad as you think you are after a disappointing loss.

We've lost two games to NCAA tournament teams who are favored to win their respective conferences and a very close game to a surprisingly good Northwestern team when we had less than 24 hours to prepare for their difficult style. You act like these losses are absolutely unexcusable for a program that hasn't gone to the dance for several years.

Unfortunately, we need to beat and compete better with the UNIs/NWs better before we can hope to beat/compete with the Colorados and Kansas States.

This has been four years in a row that we have come through the non conference seasons stumbling. Nebraska is playing better than we are right now.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Unfortunately, we need to beat and compete better with the UNIs/NWs better before we can hope to beat/compete with the Colorados and Kansas States.

This has been four years in a row that we have come through the non conference seasons stumbling. Nebraska is playing better than we are right now.

The same Nebraska team that got spanked by St. Louis?

Cytaki

Feb 21, 2008
Nomad
This was a great original post...the fact is if you were to look at the schedule at the start of the season and the thinking that we would have played Notre Dame and California, you would say we would probably be 7-2 right now. Ladies and gentleman, we are 6-3 right now. On another note, we have been going full speed ahead in terms of our schedule for the last month with limited time to practice. Now we get to take a bit of a step back here before the Iowa game. I flat out think we have been playing tired.

I am really not willing to throw Greg McDermott or Jamie Pollard under the bus. This was going to be a tough stretch no matter what and we have only played one game (tonight) where we got blown out of the water. It is frustrating but the sun WILL come out tomorrow. Go clones. This team has talent and will win some games, lets support them instead of playing Chicken Little all the time!

Reactions: ChrisMWilliams

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

You mean, just like things in life aren't usually as good or bad as they seem in the moment?

Seriously, there was a lot of wisdom in that post. I wish I had some rep to throw your way.:yes:

bel79

Jan 12, 2009

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
This was a great original post...the fact is if you were to look at the schedule at the start of the season and the thinking that we would have played Notre Dame and California, you would say we would probably be 7-2 right now. Ladies and gentleman, we are 6-3 right now. On another note, we have been going full speed ahead in terms of our schedule for the last month with limited time to practice. Now we get to take a bit of a step back here before the Iowa game. I flat out think we have been playing tired.

I am really not willing to throw Greg McDermott or Jamie Pollard under the bus. This was going to be a tough stretch no matter what and we have only played one game (tonight) where we got blown out of the water. It is frustrating but the sun WILL come out tomorrow. Go clones. This team has talent and will win some games, lets support them instead of playing Chicken Little all the time!

I am worried about the Bradley game. They are MVC?

Cytaki

Feb 21, 2008
Nomad
So running down the remaining non-conference

Iowa, W (If we lose this one I will join with the rest of you complaining)
Bradley, could really go either way (vital to get a win at this point)
North Dakota, W
Houston, W (They have some talented players but they really aren't a good "team", hopefully we can prove that we are moreso than they are)
Duke, most likely a loss (hopefully we pull off the shocker but not likely)
North Dakota State, W (This team isn't as good as they were last year when they made the NCAA tournament)

So if we get the Bradley win that puts us at a record of 11-4 coming out of non-conference. I would definitely take that entering the Big 12 season. If not we are looking at 10-5, not great, but we still have the ability to have a good season.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
9-6 is also possible if Iowa, Houston and Bradley play well so that we will only one of them.

Unfortunately, the start of Big 12 is not set up for a good start. We could use some easier games in Jan.