Nader's threes

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm at the point, where I want him off the court. I think he'll be a good player for us next year, but he's sucking it up. No charity minutes tourney time, you have to earn them IMO.
He 100% earned it last night. ISU totally struggled and Nader was huge reason ISU was tied with OU at half.

Good lord.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Nope. 3 turnovers from Nader = zero points. Making one 3 out of 3 = 3 points. Also, making one 2 out of 3 = 2 points.

If he was making 33% of his 3's I don't think anyone would be complaining.

At 22%, 3 pts in 4-5 shots isn't very good.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
His missed 3s were not forced. While there are better 3pt shooters on the team, if he is wide open at the 3, I'm okay with the shot (unless it's a tie game and there is still 10 seconds left on the game clock). He did a lot of other very nice things last night for us!!

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Sadly, I don't think his stats are much better inside the arc either.

I think he is above 50%, which given many are Kane-like drives with no foul contact, is acceptable.

The timing may seem poor, but I don't think it is being overly critical to comment on how a talented, but one of the least efficient players the past few years, can become better. No one is saying he isn't a big part in our success. His defense and ability to give us physical size has been big. Minus his inability to buy a call, his finishing is a big boost off the bench, and his ball-handling as a post is needed for a team short on that skill in the backcourt.

Both his effective and true shooting %s go down with his 3P%. He is a capable driver. If people are running at him as much as the "spacing" proponents suggest, then he should have no problem driving.

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
Yep, I cringe whenever Nader shoots a three. Especially late in the game.
I do as well but I think this is what makes Fred such a great Coach. He shows the confidence in the players that clearly have the ability to make shots and encourages them to keep shooting. The result can be Nader VS Iowa this year.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I think he is above 50%, which given many are Kane-like drives with no foul contact, is acceptable.

The timing may seem poor, but I don't think it is being overly critical to comment on how a talented, but one of the least efficient players the past few years, can become better. No one is saying he isn't a big part in our success. His defense and ability to give us physical size has been big. Minus his inability to buy a call, his finishing is a big boost off the bench, and his ball-handling as a post is needed for a team short on that skill in the backcourt.

Both his effective and true shooting %s go down with his 3P%. He is a capable driver. If people are running at him as much as the "spacing" proponents suggest, then he should have no problem driving.

Criticism of CF for discussing how players play has always been 22's thing though. Not a big deal. Just another reason to love the back and forth on this site.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Criticism of CF for discussing how players play has always been 22's thing though. Not a big deal. Just another reason to love the back and forth on this site.
Unjust critics. People claiming he shouldn't play lack education. Nader was ******* huge for us last night.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
His missed 3s were not forced. While there are better 3pt shooters on the team, if he is wide open at the 3, I'm okay with the shot (unless it's a tie game and there is still 10 seconds left on the game clock). He did a lot of other very nice things last night for us!!
Correct. It's not like he's pulling a Dendy.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Fred has a lot of confidence in his game and uses him when we need some instant offense. Fred picks his spots with him which is the way it should be. He needs to keep playing with confidence when he's in. I don't see any reason to change his game at this point.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009

I agree that he did other nice things for us, but Nader's offensive game is taking it to the hole. There is a reason Oklahoma left him open from 3.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
If he get's a good rhythm 3, I have no problem with him taking it.

I suspect his true shooting % from 3 is close to that 33% mark.

Fred's probably been watching him hit at a decent rate for almost 2 years now.

Again, I don't think he needs to be taking the Naz Long "I'm shooting while guarded because you're not expecting it" three, but if he's open and he's got confidence of course he should shoot it.

Gary_ISU

Apr 12, 2006
He 100% earned it last night. ISU totally struggled and Nader was huge reason ISU was tied with OU at half.

Good lord.

Nader played great last night. He was a huge spark. Very few are questioning whether he should play. The question is about whether he should continue to have a green light on threes. He is 14-63 on the season. He was 4-6 the Iowa game. If you take that game out, he is 10-57 which is 17.5%. That is awful.

I think if there are 5-10 seconds left in the shot clock and Nader has an open look within the offense, he should probably shoot. But, when he comes down and there are 25-30 seconds left in the clock and he hoists up the 3, most posting in this thread think that is a bad shot. I think at times our bad shot selection is what causes us to give up runs and get behind.

Could he go off from 3 tonight, maybe, but that still does not mean he should be shooting 3s.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Nader played great last night. He was a huge spark. Very few are questioning whether he should play. The question is about whether he should continue to have a green light on threes. He is 14-63 on the season. He was 4-6 the Iowa game. If you take that game out, he is 10-57 which is 17.5%. That is awful.

I think if there are 5-10 seconds left in the shot clock and Nader has an open look within the offense, he should probably shoot. But, when he comes down and there are 25-30 seconds left in the clock and he hoists up the 3, most posting in this thread think that is a bad shot. I think at times our bad shot selection is what causes us to give up runs and get behind.

Could he go off from 3 tonight, maybe, but that still does not mean he should be shooting 3s.

That's not how that works. You're going to have to take out his worst game as well to make any attempt at a relevant statistic there.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
That's not how that works. You're going to have to take out his worst game as well to make any attempt at a relevant statistic there.

We could just leave everything in and he's at 22% on the season.

I'm pretty sure everyone here would be happy to allow sub 25% shooters from the other team shoot all game long.

Help Support Us

Become a patron