More new coaches confirmed...

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Hopefully Campbell sticks around for a while, not looking forward to when we are in the same boat as Toledo is now if he bolts and takes everyone with him. Hope this plays out. Trying not to drink the cool-aid for next season but getting pretty excited to see what Campbell and his staff can do.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I have always thought you could hire IN FIELD recruiters who know the local high schools/coaches. GIve em T&E monies/salary with marching orders to get potential recruits to Ames. Leave the closings to the ISU FB staff.

In order to get paid to recruit you have to be on the staff.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Am I the only one that is at least a little concerned here? I thought he would bring a couple of coaches, and keep Ayeni. But we continue to hear more and more names from his Toledo staff? Is it normal to essentially relocate a program?

Maybe this experiment works great. I don't know. At least you get a staff that is familiar with each other. On the flip side, what worked in the MAC and Toledo may not translate well here. Namely, recruiting the type of athlete we need to win.

Rivals has Toledo ranked 30 spots above ISU for their 2016 class. Plus watching the two games against ISU they are at worst recruiting to par while at a MAC school.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I have always thought you could hire IN FIELD recruiters who know the local high schools/coaches. GIve em T&E monies/salary with marching orders to get potential recruits to Ames. Leave the closings to the ISU FB staff.

You don't really need to. All the evaluation tools you need to initially identify talent is already out there. Shoot, players spend a good chunk of their off season time in high school promoting themselves, now. And I am not sure how paying people associated with high schools in a given recruiting region would play with the NCAA anyway.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Bykeeping them intact helps recruiting. They know what their systems want. Not wanting tall lean lineman while one thinks road graders work best. They know what type of players they want. They also know how they want to develop them

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think CMC bringing his people over is a really smart idea. It's the same game they've always been playing, just with better players (in the BigXII), which I'm sure they'll upgrade in short order, like TCU did when they first entered the conference.

I'm excited to see young faces in the coaching ranks here for the first time in forever. That alone will translate into better recruiting. Energy, opportunities, hope.

I'm loving this hire guys. I really am.

Paul was not that old when he first came here.....then he grew his beard....

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I don't see any similarity between this hire and Chizik. Sure, the Cheese had coached with those guys, but they were not his staff when we hired him. They had zero experience together as a unit. This is closer to the exact opposite.

These guys won a lot of games this year, and watching the Western Michigan and Toledo game there is not a huge dropoff in what kind of coaching goes on from the Big 12. Big 12 athletes are more explosive for sure, but it was a fun game. These guys coach at a high level. So I am not too worried about that.

If you have a lot of trust and faith in the people around you that translates into better decision making. I don't think CPR was ever comfortable with an OC, and probably why he hired Messingham so he had someone he trusted. Unfortunately, Messingham was really bad. Then he brought in Kleinakis who alienated seemingly everyone. Then Mangino who brought in a semi coherent staff, but just could not get over himself.

I gotta say, we may not be bringing in the New England Patriots staff, but we are going to be a much better team.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Hopefully Campbell sticks around for a while, not looking forward to when we are in the same boat as Toledo is now if he bolts and takes everyone with him. Hope this plays out. Trying not to drink the cool-aid for next season but getting pretty excited to see what Campbell and his staff can do.
If we get the bus rolling up to nine wins, we can always increase his salary...

Mar 24, 2009
Marion Iowa
The more in house recruiter you have to sell ISU the better, the fact that he is bringing so many of his guys is somewhat concerning to level of being able to recruit to the Big12 level......but Rhoads couldnt either so time will tell!

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The more in house recruiter you have to sell ISU the better, the fact that he is bringing so many of his guys is somewhat concerning to level of being able to recruit to the Big12 level......but Rhoads couldnt either so time will tell!

These same guys recruited better to Toledo than our previous staff did to ISU, at the very least it was even. I like how confident CMC has been about the guys he's offered since he took the ISU job, one of the biggest parts of recruiting is identifying guys who work with your system. CPR and Co always seemed to be piecing together their class in Jan and Feb, getting guys with less *'s early that fit your system is better than grasping at straws late in the recruiting season. Recruiting was one of the biggest reasons we lacked an identity on offense, we were a patchwork of guys recruited to play for 3 different OC's.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
In looking at CPR's staff, it does not look like Mark Mangino, Tommy Mangino, and Brandon Blaney were that effective in recruiting.

Louis Ayeni and Stan Eggen were getting a lot of our commits. And that included Texas. Shane Burnham was almost exclusively in Florida. Mo Linguist was in the South, mainly Georgia.

In looking at things, it appears to me that CMC's staff will be much more aggressive in the recruiting aspect. I liked how CMC's eyes lit up when he said, "I love recruiting. And our whole staff will recruit."

IMO, we are going to see a new aggressiveness and an approach where we will identify recruits who fit our profile and we will promote our "culture" at Iowa State aggressively.

Agree with this. Not that I watch introductory press conferences for other schools, but I can't think of another instance where somebody has said they love recruiting. It's rare for a head coach, but very necessary for what he's stepping into. Hopefully it translates to significantly improved results on the recruiting trail.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have no idea how good these coaches are but they were good enough to help their head coach get a new job.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
But is it good for Mr Iowa Real Estate.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have no idea how good these coaches are but they were good enough to help their head coach get a new job.

Suspect that all have been trained in the Matt Campbell School of Recruiting.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Am I the only one that is at least a little concerned here? I thought he would bring a couple of coaches, and keep Ayeni. But we continue to hear more and more names from his Toledo staff? Is it normal to essentially relocate a program?

Maybe this experiment works great. I don't know. At least you get a staff that is familiar with each other. On the flip side, what worked in the MAC and Toledo may not translate well here. Namely, recruiting the type of athlete we need to win.

Looks like he's going with the Jerry Kill approach to coach hirings

The whole point of bringing in a guy with previous head coaching experience was to get THAT experience. These are guys he knows well and works well with. That will lead to a much more united approach in the future. I am really happy he's getting the guys he wants right now.

It would somewhat negate CMCs head coaching experience if he had to have a learning curve with a new staff starting next season.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I agree that it's risky, but not unheardof or impossible to work out. Didn't Washington poach the entire staff from NDSU a couple seasons ago? As in, they wanted their HC and he just brought the whole crew with?

Wyoming? Washington's coach is Chris Peterson from Boise State.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Unless he already knows who the DC is but can't announce it yet and the DC has ok'd these guys.

I'm guessing you're probably right.

Now the question is, is it the Toledo DC or someone else that still has a job and can't officially be on staff yet.