MonsterVerse Thread

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This is the best character introduction in cinema history. Just try and change my mind —

The jazz. Those slam cuts. The reactions. Amazing.

Is this the same one where King Cesar comes out of the mountain? Looks a little newer.

Imo the ridiculousness of the movie sets, costumes, etc. were what was most enjoyable about these and I wish there were a way to bring that back in a way.

On the other hand the creature intros and design in Skull Island were pretty great.

Reactions: CycloneVet

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
You starting this thread today is kind of funny - my 5 year old had to miss day care because he was sick so I ran to the library and he got a double feature of Godzilla vs. Kong and Pacific Rim to really bang out some giant monster action.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but for how much I love the Monsterverse movies, I really do NOT like the Pacific Rim movies, especially the 2nd one. It didnt help that I did not care for John Boyega in the role he played. I usually like most Del Toro movies too. Oh well. I know a lot of people really like them, so good on them.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Maybe an unpopular opinion, but for how much I love the Monsterverse movies, I really do NOT like the Pacific Rim movies, especially the 2nd one. It didnt help that I did not care for John Boyega in the role he played. I usually like most Del Toro movies too. Oh well. I know a lot of people really like them, so good on them.

The first one is definitely better then the sequel, although I liked the second one enough.

The battle in Hong Kong in the first one between the kaiju and the giant robots (whose technical name escapes me at the moment) is one of the best action sequences, human or otherwise, I've ever seen.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The first one is definitely better then the sequel, although I liked the second one enough.

The battle in Hong Kong in the first one between the kaiju and the giant robots (whose technical name escapes me at the moment) is one of the best action sequences, human or otherwise, I've ever seen.

The first one is great. Del Toro's worldbuilding and visual flair is on point, and while silly, Pacific Rim is an earnest and well-executed love letter to classic Japanese kaiju films and mecha anime. Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Day, and Ron Perlman are entertaining. Like you said, the Hong Kong sequence in the middle is an amazing 20 minutes, and I have never seen anything... old Godzilla films, Marvel films, the new MonsterVerse... that gives a sense of scale and weight for moving objects at that scale the way Pacific Rim does.

I never watched the sequel. No Del Toro, most of the cast is gone save Kikuchi (only a short cameo) and Day (not sure I buy him as a bad guy) so I figured to just let the original stand on its own. And I appreciate that the first one had an actual ending -- not just a setup for a sequel like most films nowadays.

• Winner
Reactions: ISUChippewa

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
The first one is great. Del Toro's worldbuilding and visual flair is on point, and while silly, Pacific Rim is an earnest and well-executed love letter to classic Japanese kaiju films and mecha anime. Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Day, and Ron Perlman are entertaining. Like you said, the Hong Kong sequence in the middle is an amazing 20 minutes, and I have never seen anything... old Godzilla films, Marvel films, the new MonsterVerse... that gives a sense of scale and weight for moving objects at that scale the way Pacific Rim does.

I never watched the sequel. No Del Toro, most of the cast is gone save Kikuchi (only a short cameo) and Day (not sure I buy him as a bad guy) so I figured to just let the original stand on its own. And I appreciate that the first one had an actual ending -- not just a setup for a sequel like most films nowadays.

I absolutely hated Pacific Rim the first time I watched it, but on repeated viewings I understood what it was going for a lot more to the point that I like it now.

The sequel is pretty bad. Boyega is a decent actor but asking him to basically play an amalgamation of Elba and Hunham’s characters is a bad choice. Also anytime Scott Eastwood is in a movie you know it’s a bad sign. Dude can’t act, just gets by on his last name and his looks.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Disney+ is apparently developing a King Kong live-action series for the service, but this won't be connected in any way to the Monsterverse. Apparently King Kong's rights are pretty complicated where they can do something like this.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Disney+ is apparently developing a King Kong live-action series for the service, but this won't be connected in any way to the Monsterverse. Apparently King Kong's rights are pretty complicated where they can do something like this.

I think King Kong's rights basically aren't really owned by a single entity. A lot of those older properties like that didn't do a lot of the intellectual property protection stuff we do now.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Apparently Legendary, the production company behind the whole Monsterverse is considering moving on after its deal with Warner Brothers ends to a new studio. They are considering both Sony and Paramount.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think King Kong's rights basically aren't really owned by a single entity. A lot of those older properties like that didn't do a lot of the intellectual property protection stuff we do now.

It was my understanding that King Kong is in the public domain.

Fun factoid around that -- when Nintendo brought Donkey Kong to the U.S., Universal (the distributor of the original King Kong movie) sued them for infringing on their copyright. And you can kind of maybe see it if you squint. "Kong" climbs up a tower with a princess, have to go and save her, etc.

Nintendo's lawyers poured over the relevant literature and found Kong was rightfully in the public domain. They brought it before the court, and eventually the lawsuit ended up being dismissed.