MonsterVerse Thread

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Since we've got threads for pretty much every other cinematic universe, figured it was about time I started a MonsterVerse one. I've been a pretty big fan of all the movies so far. Anyway, l figured I'd kick things off by showing they started filming already on the Godzilla vs Kong sequel.

There is also the upcoming MonsterVerse AppleTV+ series

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
You starting this thread today is kind of funny - my 5 year old had to miss day care because he was sick so I ran to the library and he got a double feature of Godzilla vs. Kong and Pacific Rim to really bang out some giant monster action.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I'd be curious everyone's rankings of the movies. Mine are likely against the grain of popular opinion. In general, I've at least greatly enjoyed all of them.

1. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
2. Kong: Skull Island
3. Godzilla
4. Godzilla vs. Kong

Last edited:

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I'd be curious everyone's rankings of the movies. Mine are likely against the grain of poular opinion. In general, I've at least greatly enjoyed all of them.

2. Kong: Skull Island
3. Godzilla
4. Godzilla vs. Kong
Thank you for starting the thread. You are my movie guy on here I always love to hear from.

I’ve always been more of a Godzilla guy. The original Toho ones are some of the best cheesy stuff around.

My ranking is as follows:

2. Godzilla
3. Kong: Skull Island

BIG GAP

4. Godzilla v. Kong (really did not like almost anything from this one). The other three I liked a lot.

• Friendly
Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Thank you for starting the thread. You are my movie guy on here I always love to hear from.

I’ve always been more of a Godzilla guy. The original Toho ones are some of the best cheesy stuff around.

My ranking is as follows:

2. Godzilla
3. Kong: Skull Island

BIG GAP

4. Godzilla v. Kong (really did not like almost anything from this one). The other three I liked a lot.

Thanks for the kind words. I have fun on here with everyone. Wow, I figured nobody would rank them like me. Guess I'm not alone.

Reactions: jctisu

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
1) Godzilla King of the Monsters
2) Godzilla
3) Kong: Skull Island
4) Godzilla vs Kong

The only reason I rank Godzilla 2nd is that it’s the only one to have a decent story for the human characters. GvK did such a poor job with all the humans that it would’ve been a better movie had they just completely cut them out.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
1) Godzilla King of the Monsters
2) Godzilla
3) Kong: Skull Island
4) Godzilla vs Kong

The only reason I rank Godzilla 2nd is that it’s the only one to have a decent story for the human characters. GvK did such a poor job with all the humans that it would’ve been a better movie had they just completely cut them out.
It’s the biggest issue they will have going forward IMO is nobody cares about the characters. You are here to watch monsters battle and all of that. Godzilla v. Kong suffered the worst from this. If you are going to make the humans important (again, bold strategy) then you better do it really well. So far they haven’t aside from Godzilla as you said.

The humans in King of the Monsters were cringey and didn’t fit aside from a couple. Skull Island kind of the same thing.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I'm a total sucker for these kinds of movies. Hell, I saw "Pacific Rim" twice in theaters and own the DVD.

My personal rankings;

1) Godzilla vs. Kong; yes, the script may have been written by a couple of 14-year old boys (Kong with an axe!), but I think that's the charm of it. I love spectacle, and what's more spectacular than a giant ape fighting a giant lizard in downtown Hong Kong?

2) Godzilla; eminently rewatchable IMO. Love the set up with the prologue in Japan that leads into the rest of the movie.

3) Kong; Skull Island; again, loses nothing on repeat viewing. John C. Reilly also helps make this movie.

4) Godzilla; King of the Monsters; not a bad movie at all, but someone has to be last.

Reactions: CycloneVet

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I'm a total sucker for these kinds of movies. Hell, I saw "Pacific Rim" twice in theaters and own the DVD.

My personal rankings;

1) Godzilla vs. Kong; yes, the script may have been written by a couple of 14-year old boys (Kong with an axe!), but I think that's the charm of it. I love spectacle, and what's more spectacular than a giant ape fighting a giant lizard in downtown Hong Kong?

2) Godzilla; eminently rewatchable IMO. Love the set up with the prologue in Japan that leads into the rest of the movie.

3) Kong; Skull Island; again, loses nothing on repeat viewing. John C. Reilly also helps make this movie.

4) Godzilla; King of the Monsters; not a bad movie at all, but someone has to be last.
This is why I love movies. Your list is almost completely opposite of mine. And what’s cool about movies is something or things that make someone not like a movie is someone else’s reason as to why they love the movie.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I did some product design work on GvK. It was a right in middle of Covid movie but some Asian countries had it under control at time, think these might be packaged w Blu-ray purchase.

I love the classic Godzilla movies and my mom took me to see one in a theater in early 80s, but I think Skull Island is the best of the movies so far.

plush-toys.jpg

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I did some product design work on GvK. It was a right in middle of Covid movie but some Asian countries had it under control at time, think these might be packaged w Blu-ray purchase.

I love the classic Godzilla movies and my mom took me to see one in a theater in early 80s, but I think Skull Island is the best of the movies so far.

plush-toys.jpg

The early 80s Saturday matinees got me into the genre. Loved them ever since. Also the yearly showing of Kong 1976 was an event in my childhood years. In fact when I was 1 month old my parents took me to the King Kong 1976 in the theater. They couldn’t find a babysitter

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I’m a Kong guy, so it’s Skull Island, GvK, Godzilla, then King of the monsters.

Reactions: Triggermv

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron