MonsterVerse Thread

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I do not like all of these parallel Monsterverse productions. Really hard to keep track of what’s related to what.

This Godzilla x Kong almost looks cartoon like compared to the other series. Wonder if that’s just early CGI renderings or if that’s the final product.

That final scene with them running together was offputting for sure. My guess is they will clean it up some before launch.

It seems the Toho Reiwa series has gone deadly serious with Shin and Minus One (and produced two legitimately great films in the process). Legendary is going more the Saturday morning cartoon with a $200 million budget route. Neither is inherently superior but... yeah, very different approaches.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Honestly, not sure what to think of that trailer. Can't say I love the direction it looks like they are going with it or the look and feel of it. However, its hard to fully judge at this point.

With that said, heading to Minus One tomorrow and you all now have me super excited. Can't wait!!!!

• Friendly
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Seeing it tonight in Premium Dolby Theater at 6:30 pm. Its too bad it is only in theaters so short.

It's up to $11 million at the U.S. box office.

Considering a production budget of $15 million... that's incredible.

How the heck did they make something that looks that good for so little?

Reactions: cyclone1975

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Finally saw Minus One last night and had a really good time. Good human story with decent enough Godzilla action. While they were FAR from Hollywood effects for Godzilla, I think they did pretty well overall with their VERY limited $20 million budget for the film. Would definitely recommend.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
The midseason trailer for Monarch is awesome. Ive enjoyed the series so far and hope it paves the way for more quality monster content moving forward. Bravo Apple.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Been enjoying the Monarch series thus far. Hope they start to ramp up a bit with the titan piece of it as that’s who we are here to see of course. But I really like the characters and I actually for the first time in a Godzilla film, show etc. care about character development. Intrigued how they go along here.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Finally saw Minus One last night and had a really good time. Good human story with decent enough Godzilla action. While they were FAR from Hollywood effects for Godzilla, I think they did pretty well overall with their VERY limited $20 million budget for the film. Would definitely recommend.

I can think of much worse CGI in films with much higher budgets than Minus One.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I really enjoyed it. It was more of a redemption story with Godzilla as his path towards redemption.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Finally started into Monarch: Legacy of Monsters with 2 episodes in the books, and I'm definitely intrigued and loving it so far. I've heard great things about the entire series. I can definitely tell Matt Shakman, the director of WandaVision did those first two episodes and had his hand in this series. There is some similarities in feel between the two different series, and I'm a big fan of his. Makes me excited for him directing the upcoming Fantastic Four movie.

• Agree
Reactions: jctisu

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Anybody catch Episode 10 of Monarch? Holy **** that one had a bit of everything, and there were a couple of moments that really hit hard emotionally.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I've got 6 episodes in the can on this thing and still really enjoying it. All I can keep thinking is that the characters are great and this is all the backstory to Monarch I always wanted to see and they are doing it in a a unique creative way. My only critique so far is that their were times in both episode 4 and 5 where I thought the pacing was a bit off and slowed, I did find myself starting to get a bit bored at a few moments. However, then episode 6 came and things have picked right back up again. Here is to hoping this thing finishes out strong for me. Touche also to the effects team on this series, as their effects are nearly on par with the movies, which is really quite impressive.

Reactions: bos and jctisu

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I never made the connection until the last episode that the John Goodman character in Kong was the male scientist in the earliest timeline.

Down to only the finale left to watch and still loving this series a lot. This is exactly how a series sets up for a good finale. With that said, another movie tie-in that may have flown under the radar is this Monarch agent Duvall:

1705677193967.png

We learn she was motivated by her sister dying in Japan, but if you didn't catch it, her sister is Bryan Cranston's wife who died at the beginning of the Godzilla movie:

1705677173569.png

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Just realized I forgot to follow-up with my final Monarch: Legacy of Monsters thoughts now that I'm completely finished, and all I can say is "chefs kiss". Loved it. Was it a flawless series? Naw, but it was pretty dang good. Like I complained about in an earlier post, there was some slight pacing issues in the middle, but overall the writing was pretty spectacular. This is the back-story to Monarch I've always wanted to see, and they did an excellent job of tying everything we've seen so far in the Monsterverse together in a satisfying manor. I also think they left room at the end for another season, which I hope they do. It's also worth noting the production value and special effects for this series is pretty dang good and nearly on par with the movies. That isn't to say we were watching big spectacle monster fights left and right, but I thought they found the right balance of giving us enough of the spectacle to keep us happy, while also not completely blowing out the budget. This is a story about the humans more so than the monsters anyway when it is all said and done. However, what we did get of the monsters was good. Anyway, those are my final thoughts and there is no doubt this series raised my anticipation for Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire. For those unaware, that movie did get moved up a few weeks here recently to late March instead of mid-April, which is awesome. My guess is they are trying to capitalize on the popularity of the series and don't want the gap between the two to be too big to lose interest.

Help Support Us

Become a patron