Monday-ish OT: Yes But No

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
Man you're not kidding. It's like my whole childhood was a lie...

In the last few years I've watched originals of The Incredible Hulk, Dukes of Hazzard, CHiPs, The Six Million Dollar Man, Battlestar Gallactica, Buck Rogers, etc. It's all just GARBAGE writing.

And I made my kids watch The Black Hole recently...woof is right. Sorry kids.
Dude...you nailed all of them. CHiPs! HILARIOUS to watch now.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
We have watched Fuller House on Netflix, so we sometimes would catch an episode of Full House on some channel late at night. I never realized how cheesy that show was. I mean, even for a kids/family show.

Same thing with most of those TGIF shows, really. :confused:

Reactions: Angie

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In. I thought it was the most hilarious off-the-wall irreverent humor when I was a lad of 11 or 12. Watched a couple times since. Wowser.
Yeah - exceptionally misogynistic in hindsight, but normal for the era. I preferred the Smothers Brothers. Tommy was a helluva lot smarter than what he portrayed on TV.

Side note: my father hated BOTH shows, so we usually went over and watched with friends. :D

• Funny
Reactions: urb1

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We have watched Fuller House on Netflix, so we sometimes would catch an episode of Full House on some channel late at night. I never realized how cheesy that show was. I mean, even for a kids/family show.

Same thing with most of those TGIF shows, really. :confused:

Oddly, Saved by the Bell is awful but still entertaining to watch for some reason, but Full House is really hard.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Friends for shows.

I think maybe the first two or three seasons were good but after that it's just softball humor and the characters only get louder.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Oddly, Saved by the Bell is awful but still entertaining to watch for some reason, but Full House is really hard.
So did you also like Welcome Back Kotter? It's set in a school, too. :)

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Such a polarizing list! 100% agree with the Godfather and Star Wars, but ripping The Villiage and Signs? Hurts my heart lol

I know, I figured I'd bring the hate early so people could disagree! :D

I know, I know. But with Signs - dude, water? These super-intelligent beings didn't just scan Earth first? And The Village.... (see next reply)

I figured out what the twist was for The Village from the previews

This was also my issue. I was working on a huge project for work that had me at the computer for probably 40 hours one weekend. Janny rented The Village and watched it right next to where I was on the computer. I hadn't been listening even a little, but took a three second break and looked up probably 20 minutes after he started the movie. After watching for three seconds, I said, "It's (insert spoiler here)." He laughed and said, "You aren't even watching, that's not it. Go back to work."

Three hours of his life later, I was right.

The movie itself was fine, but just don't do the twists all of the time!

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Knight Rider!!! Somehow I forgot that one....basically unwatchable now. Loved it then.

Dukes of Hazzard - did you ever see that one where some strangers came into town and did some bad stuff because Boss Hogg hired them to, but it somehow got blamed on the Duke boys? Oh, and then some country singer sang at the Boar's Nest while the boys drank some frosty mugs of beer. Then the car jumped. That was cool.

Man, I LOVED watching the Dukes. I remember when Grandma and Grandpa would visit, they'd bring me a General Lee Matchbox car every time.

YEE-HAW!
giphy.gif

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The movie itself was fine, but just don't do the twists all of the time!

I like The Village for some reason. I think it's probably just the acting of William Herd and Bryce Dallas Howard. The "twist" was never really the reason I liked it. The underlying themes of parents trying to protect their kids from the outside world by isolating them is a good one, as well.

Signs scared the sh!t out of me as a kid. I still remember walking by cornfields late at night and being freaked out after watching that. Again, I was never really into the "twist" part of the movie, but the suspense is great. The scene in the basement when the kid leans up against the coal shoot and the aliens hand grabs him was freaky.

• Winner
Reactions: Angie and cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'll never forget walking out of the theater after seeing Avatar and thinking it was a pretty good movie. Then a friend of mine said "Did you guys ever see a movie called Fern Gully? You know, a bunch of ferries flying around trying to protect a tree from the bad humans?" And it ruined the whole thing for me.

Less weird alien sex in Fern Gully. Unless I missed that. Also their sex organs were used to connect to the animals they rode on too. Think about that for a second, then try to forget it.

Avatar is a pretty bad movie. The biggest draw was the new special effects and 3D, which is no big deal anymore. If it were released today it would be average at best. There's probably a good reason why the sequel still hasn't come out.

Unobtainium, how freaking stupid is that?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I like The Village for some reason. I think it's probably just the acting of William Herd and Bryce Dallas Howard. The "twist" was never really the reason I liked it. The underlying themes of parents trying to protect their kids from the outside world by isolating them is a good one, as well.

Signs scared the sh!t out of me as a kid. I still remember walking by cornfields late at night and being freaked out after watching that. Again, I was never really into the "twist" part of the movie, but the suspense is great. The scene in the basement when the kid leans up against the coal shoot and the aliens hand grabs him was freaky.

I think the biggest problems with M Night Shayamalan movies since The Sixth Sense, is that everyone expects them to be as good as The Sixth Sense!
Signs and The Village aren't great all time movies, but they are still good movies and well acted. I very much appreciate them. Unbreakable, Split, and Glass are all great separately, but I think they are better together. Lady in the Water was kind of a dud. I didn't rush out to see it and I wasn't impressed with it either.

Everyone expects the monstrous twist, and it's not always about that.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I am amazed at how freaked out I got by the scene where Merrill is watching news coverage and they show footage from South America with an alien in it. I got freaked out just by Merrill's reaction even though it was to news footage on TV from a continent away. The length of the clip, the agitated children and the building music does a great job of building suspense. Merrill's reaction along with the children screaming pushes you over the edge.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I am amazed at how freaked out I got by the scene where Merrill is watching news coverage and they show footage from South America with an alien in it. I got freaked out just by Merrill's reaction even though it was to news footage on TV from a continent away. The length of the clip, the agitated children and the building music does a great job of building suspense. Merrill's reaction along with the children screaming pushes you over the edge.

The best part is when he yells VAMANOS at the children on the TV. I love that movie. Haters can suck it.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO

I can still watch that movie because the acting saves it (although M Night casting his non-acting ass in a fairly crucial supporting role just smacks of pure egotistical narcissism). That being said it’s pretty damn tough to buy the whole “these beings are intelligent enough to travel to another planet and start an insurgency but not smart enough to check and see if that planet is primarily made up of a substance that kills them” logic of the movie. I’m going to assume the aliens that tried the Pacific Northwest died on contact with the air.

• Winner
Reactions: Angie