Monday-ish OT: Yes But No

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
So sorry, this was supposed to be on Monday, but we were moving. I'm just now at a computer. Thanks again to @madguy30 for these ideas!

What are some shows or movies that you thought were good when they first came out, and realized they weren't?

Examples:

Godfather Part 3 - At first, I thought it was another great FFC movie in the trilogy. After I thought about it, though, I realized that there was nowhere as much nuance in it as the others. It was such a letdown to me after the first two were so great.

Star Wars - I liked these movies when I was in grade school. But the story is super predictable (local boy saves the world, someone falls down a deep hole, etc.). And the dialogue is pretty terrible. I know that it is an unpopular opinion, but I think most people love them solely for nostalgia.

Almost every M. Night Shyamalan movie after The Sixth Sense - we get it, you like twists. But the twist in Signs was dumb, and The Village twist was utterly predictable.

• Dislike
Reactions: cyhiphopp

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I'll never forget walking out of the theater after seeing Avatar and thinking it was a pretty good movie. Then a friend of mine said "Did you guys ever see a movie called Fern Gully? You know, a bunch of ferries flying around trying to protect a tree from the bad humans?" And it ruined the whole thing for me.

I didn't think Suicide Squad was good, but I did like the premise of the movie: recruit bad guys to go in and try and save the world knowing they will likely die. Then I watched a youtube video afterward that totally ripped apart all the plot lines.

"Wait, you're sending in bad guys? So, then you don't have to use any good guys, right?"
"Oh, no, we'll need to send in a bunch of good guys too so they make sure the bad guys don't get away."
"So why are we doing this again?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Jurrasic Park. I was in middle schoolish when it came out, and thought it was really, really good.

Watching now it's still fun for nostalgia sake but it's really a pretty stupid movie with really stupid characters.

I know it was based on the book but I wish Spielberg would have done something closer to 'Close Encounters' or 'Jaws'.

Reactions: Angie

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
So sorry, this was supposed to be on Monday, but we were moving. I'm just now at a computer. Thanks again to @madguy30 for these ideas!

What are some shows or movies that you thought were good when they first came out, and realized they weren't?

Examples:

Godfather Part 3 - At first, I thought it was another great FFC movie in the trilogy. After I thought about it, though, I realized that there was nowhere as much nuance in it as the others. It was such a letdown to me after the first two were so great.

Star Wars - I liked these movies when I was in grade school. But the story is super predictable (local boy saves the world, someone falls down a deep hole, etc.). And the dialogue is pretty terrible. I know that it is an unpopular opinion, but I think most people love them solely for nostalgia.

Almost every M. Night Shyamalan movie after The Sixth Sense - we get it, you like twists. But the twist in Signs was dumb, and The Village twist was utterly predictable.

Angie, I'm afraid you and I will have to agree to disagree on Godfather III. After several viewings, I realized the true story line wasn't about the Family's attempt to become legit (with all the Immobiliari skullduggery, etc), but rather Michael's realization that his life had become a cesspool of evil. His ex-wife loathed him, his son was ashamed of him. Only his daughter remained loyal. His confession to the Cardinal was truly a revelation, and he realized that all the power he had amassed and all the money he had made were poor replacements for having lived a good life and having real respect. Not nearly at the level of I and II, certainly - but nowhere near the clunker many reviewers made it out to be.
(IMO, of course!)

• Friendly
  • Agree
Reactions: Angie and hlb76

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Angie, I'm afraid you and I will have to agree to disagree on Godfather III. After several viewings, I realized the true story line wasn't about the Family's attempt to become legit (with all the Immobiliari skullduggery, etc), but rather Michael's realization that his life had become a cesspool of evil. His ex-wife loathed him, his son was ashamed of him. Only his daughter remained loyal. His confession to the Cardinal was truly a revelation, and he realized that all the power he had amassed and all the money he had made were poor replacements for having lived a good life and having real respect. Not nearly at the level of I and II, certainly - but nowhere near the clunker many reviewers made it out to be.
(IMO, of course!)

The lack of Tom Hagen just ruined it for me. The conflict building up in Part II between Michael and Tom was perfectly done as as subplot... and then it went nowhere. Robert Duvall is one of my favorite actors, and the fact they did not want to pay him his worth is sad.

I generally enjoyed The Hobbit in theaters, but I have zero desire to see them again.

The fact there has not been a good Star Wars film since 1983 or a great one since 1980 and there have been approximately a million bad ones since has certainly taken a lot of the luster off the originals for me, too. Some things still stand up incredibly well, especially the scores, but there is so much muck around them now that is hard to look past.

Gangs of New York has a really thin plot, which becomes really evident on the second viewing. Day-Lewis' performance is still masterful, however, as he usually is.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

Examples:

American Beauty. It's not bad. I just think it's not as great as people think.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I can't think of one right now, but what this brought to mind was movies that you tried to rewatch with your kids and as you were watching, remembered the inappropriate scenes about the time they flashed up on the screen. I have a lot of those lol

I was just talking to a buddy of mine who watched Caddyshack with his family. He has an old barn that he painted a portion white and projects movies on to it. Totally spaced off the topless scene, and not only did his kids see it, but they saw it projected onto a 15 foot screen.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center

Examples:

You are pretty terrible

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm gonna possibly catch some flack but while I think he was a good Batman, I think those movies are bad now.

edit: forgot to post the Michael Keaton ones.

Last edited:

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Empire Records. Loved it when it came out. Watched it again recently...it's totally possible that I've changed as I've gotten older. It's also totally possible that the movie was a steaming pile of **** all along.

Oh I 100% disagree. It was never a great movie but it's still a good movie and one I love.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'll never forget walking out of the theater after seeing Avatar and thinking it was a pretty good movie. Then a friend of mine said "Did you guys ever see a movie called Fern Gully? You know, a bunch of ferries flying around trying to protect a tree from the bad humans?" And it ruined the whole thing for me.
I was entertained by Avatar but knew right away it was bad. It is a heavy-handed good natives/bad invaders movie with a lot schlock. (Unobtanium? Seriously?) The CG visual effects are pretty much all that carry that movie.

I can't get the image of ferries flying around out of my head. Must be one hell of a hurricane.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I can't think of one right now, but what this brought to mind was movies that you tried to rewatch with your kids and as you were watching, remembered the inappropriate scenes about the time they flashed up on the screen. I have a lot of those lol

My dad had one of those moments when I was younger. We watched Stripes. To this day, I wish I was a loofah.

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk

Examples:

Such a polarizing list! 100% agree with the Godfather and Star Wars, but ripping The Villiage and Signs? Hurts my heart lol

• Funny
Reactions: Angie

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
3 Billboards Outside of Ebbing Missouri.

I thought it was great at first. By the time it was over I realized it was awful. How the heck did that get all sorts of critical acclaim and get nominated for Best Picture?

• Disagree
Reactions: srjclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
American Beauty. It's not bad. I just think it's not as great as people think.

No, it's bad.

3 Billboards Outside of Ebbing Missouri.

I thought it was great at first. By the time it was over I realized it was awful. How the heck did that get all sorts of critical acclaim and get nominated for Best Picture?

Great first half -- but after (spoiler event), it loses all steam/stops making any sense. Firebombing a police station and nobody even glances at the obvious suspect? Somebody beaten half to death in a bar fight (and the guy's name is known) and... nothing happens?

The lack of reality in the last 1/2 to 1/3 kills it.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I recently found out that Airplane was mostly based off of another movie even line by line at some points and I am not sure how I feel about it.

• Informative
Reactions: jcyclonee and Angie