miller without deace ouch

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
Not that Jon needs any defending but I just wanted to say my part. I happened to run into Jon at a clone game a few years back, and while chit chatting he actually dissed Hawk fans to me that bashed Jack Trice, saying it was a great place to watch a game. Now part of Jon's job is to promote and debate Hawkeye athletics. Us clones happen to be in state rivals. If he wasn't making his team sound better than ours in some way shape or form, he probably isn't doing his job. I personally enjoy listening to both Jon and Deace, and don't see any so called arrogance out of either of them that isn't surpassed by most homer sports commentators.

I'll agree. I met Jon once, and I doubt he'd remember, but he's an average guy that just happens to really like a school that none of us like. Of course he gives us 'Clone fans a hard time and his hawk-goggles sometimes need a different prescription, but overall, he's not bad.

...he just conducts terrible interviews. I'd say that same thing to John Walters if he was a bad interviewer, but he's not.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I enjoy listening to the show usually, but Jon is a terrible interviewer. Ask your question and then shut up. Don't present a question, throw in a tought, change the subject, make a joke, throw in another thought, and then make your way back to the original question. I can just feel the uncomfortable tension that your interviewees are emitting through the radio. Jon does it all the time. He takes 15-20 seconds to ask a question when it should only take him 4-5 seconds at that most. Seriously, listen to Jim Rome, Dan Patrick, hell even listen to the blowhards on CNN & Fox News, they ask the question and then get out of the way. If Jon does a 5 minute interview, you can almost guarantee that he's talking during 65-70% of that interview.

Jon, if you're reading this, ask your question and then shut up. And don't give me this crap about "filler time" and "bringing out the interviewee". I'm schooled in broadcasting you do not do a good job of asking questions. Plain and simple.

If I have gotten into the habit of being too long on questions, then I want to put a stop to that because I dont care for that either. So I will go in and listen to some recent interviews.

I think those types of situations are most likely at the beginning of an interview, as you get into it.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
If I have gotten into the habit of being too long on questions, then I want to put a stop to that because I dont care for that either. So I will go in and listen to some recent interviews.

I think those types of situations are most likely at the beginning of an interview, as you get into it.

Sounds good. Also, how is Curt Evans? That dude sounds like he's 17.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Well you didn't hear Miller's segment yesterday then, I am guessing. Becuase if you had my response would make more sense.

He has some former friend on air and spends an entire segment with this guy bagging on Ames and how bad it is as a Hawkeye to go to games in Ames for all of these various reasons. If it's podcasted I'd like to hear it again...because I didn't get to catch the entire segment and maybe there was more merit to the discussion, but what I heard basically came off as Hawkeye Homer Miller enabling is Hawkeye buddy friend to come on air and bag on Iowa State and their stadium and fan environment.

That's why I didn't just reply beating my chest about Michigan. I referenced the fact that I've actually been to almost all of the Iowa and Iowa State games for some time and that neither venue for visiting fans is nearly as bad as some other rivalries. I just used ours with OSU because I've been there first hand numerous times.

I've been to Auburn v. Georgia a few times too...and I am guessing that one would be up there as well from the few times I've been there.

I don't think you listen all that closely at times, in observing your various posts on what you claim to have heard on various radio shows that I have been a part. And you go on to say that you didnt listen to the entire segment. How can you have such a strong opinion on something you didn't listen to?

My friend said he doesnt want to go to Ames because he doesn't like the Clones, yes. He is not a fan of Pollard in the rivalry sense, and he made sure to be clear that he was not talking about Jamie as a human being. I came back and said that I think he feels a certain way about going to games there because Iowa State has had its way with Iowa there all but once since 1997, and that perhaps the risk is not worth the reward, and he conceded that could be the case, too. We both said there can't be any more unruly fans in JTS than there are in Kinnick, because both schools have their bad apples, so for every Hawk fan that says they were treated bad at JTS, you are going to find a Clone fan that feels the same way.

My whole premise on the returned ticket thing is that there are a lot of DSM area Hawk fans that would rather watch the game at home than risk going up there and watching Iowa lose in person in the house of the rival, that only adds to the let down feeling after a loss, when they have HD TVs, easy access to bathrooms and cold ones in their homes.

It was a very, very tame segment that is being blown well out of proportion here. Then again, for sensitive ears, that is the case...not a slam, just human nature.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
I don't think you listen all that closely at times, in observing your various posts on what you claim to have heard on various radio shows that I have been a part. And you go on to say that you didnt listen to the entire segment. How can you have such a strong opinion on something you didn't listen to?

First off, Jon. You're wrong. In fact, go back and show ANY other post I've made where I've not listened closely. I am calling you on it.

Secondly, yeah I QUALIFIED it DELIBERATELY. So as not to insinuate I listened to it all in depth and to be fair about my opinion I based off of what I heard.

That's how, Jon.

Let me ask you...Jon, was I wrong in my picking you apart about not knowing Crisler arena wasn't owned by Chrysler the car company? Did I mis-hear that one too? No, I didn't...

My friend said he doesnt want to go to Ames because he doesn't like the Clones, yes.

Which is what I said.

He is not a fan of Pollard in the rivalry sense, and he made sure to be clear that he was not talking about Jamie as a human being.

I never claimed he did.

I came back and said that I think he feels a certain way about going to games there because Iowa State has had its way with Iowa there all but once since 1997, and that perhaps the risk is not worth the reward, and he conceded that could be the case, too. We both said there can't be any more unruly fans in JTS than there are in Kinnick, because both schools have their bad apples, so for every Hawk fan that says they were treated bad at JTS, you are going to find a Clone fan that feels the same way.

CYA, I guess. I did hear this portion and at the end of the day I still fail to see the point of the segment other than to bash Clone Fan.

My whole premise on the returned ticket thing is that there are a lot of DSM area Hawk fans that would rather watch the game at home than risk going up there and watching Iowa lose in person in the house of the rival, that only adds to the let down feeling after a loss, when they have HD TVs, easy access to bathrooms and cold ones in their homes.

I heard this as well. Still, what's the point of the segment?

It was a very, very tame segment that is being blown well out of proportion here. Then again, for sensitive ears, that is the case...not a slam, just human nature.

What did I blow out of proportion? I said I failed to see the point of you dragging a buddy on air to bag on JTS and Clone Fan. No, it wasn't hard anti-Clone hatred, but it was pretty clear by the tone and comments that it was PAINFUL for him to even CONSIDER going to JTC and endure Clone Fan. I don't care how much double-talk you throw in by covering up and saying Clone Fan would have some legitimate gripes about Kinnick.

Again, Jon, what was the point? You could have made all those points without the groaning and moaning of how bad it was for him suffering through a trip to Ames and how bad it'd be for him and how he'd rather go to a HS game on the east side of Des Moines.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
1947.gif

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
First off, Jon. You're wrong. In fact, go back and show ANY other post I've made where I've not listened closely. I am calling you on it.

Secondly, yeah I QUALIFIED it DELIBERATELY. So as not to insinuate I listened to it all in depth and to be fair about my opinion I based off of what I heard.

That's how, Jon.

Let me ask you...Jon, was I wrong in my picking you apart about not knowing Crisler arena wasn't owned by Chrysler the car company? Did I mis-hear that one too? No, I didn't...

Which is what I said.

I never claimed he did.

CYA, I guess. I did hear this portion and at the end of the day I still fail to see the point of the segment other than to bash Clone Fan.

I heard this as well. Still, what's the point of the segment?

What did I blow out of proportion? I said I failed to see the point of you dragging a buddy on air to bag on JTS and Clone Fan. No, it wasn't hard anti-Clone hatred, but it was pretty clear by the tone and comments that it was PAINFUL for him to even CONSIDER going to JTC and endure Clone Fan. I don't care how much double-talk you throw in by covering up and saying Clone Fan would have some legitimate gripes about Kinnick.

Again, Jon, what was the point? You could have made all those points without the groaning and moaning of how bad it was for him suffering through a trip to Ames and how bad it'd be for him and how he'd rather go to a HS game on the east side of Des Moines.

Another thing I have observed from many of your threads is that debates like this never, ever end. We'll just have to agree to disagree...or at least I will, and get on with the day.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
Another thing I have observed from many of your threads is that debates like this never, ever end. We'll just have to agree to disagree...or at least I will, and get on with the day.

You called me out and now you're back-pedaling. Don't bring it if you're not going to do anything other than try to throw out character assassination as a defense. It speaks volumes.

It was a tasteless representation of JTS and Clone Fan, period.

Last edited:

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Not that Jon needs any defending but I just wanted to say my part. I happened to run into Jon at a clone game a few years back, and while chit chatting he actually dissed Hawk fans to me that bashed Jack Trice, saying it was a great place to watch a game. Now part of Jon's job is to promote and debate Hawkeye athletics. Us clones happen to be in state rivals. If he wasn't making his team sound better than ours in some way shape or form, he probably isn't doing his job. I personally enjoy listening to both Jon and Deace, and don't see any so called arrogance out of either of them that isn't surpassed by most homer sports commentators.

:confused: Then I am confused. He dissed Hawk fans in a PRIVATE conversation but on the air he rips Iowa State fans by saying they mistreat Iowa fans when the games in Ames.?

galactawitz

Nov 27, 2007
Ames
:confused: Then I am confused. He dissed Hawk fans in a PRIVATE conversation but on the air he rips Iowa State fans by saying they mistreat Iowa fans when the games in Ames.?

I'm not saying he hasn't ripped cyclone fans, or that he went of his way to praise us even in our very short private conversation. I'm just saying he isn't a 100% hawk infatuated jerk that doesn't recognize the bright aspects of cyclone athletics like some hawk fans I know. That's all I'm saying.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
I'm not saying he hasn't ripped cyclone fans, or that he went of his way to praise us even in our very short private conversation. I'm just saying he isn't a 100% hawk infatuated jerk that doesn't recognize the bright aspects of cyclone athletics like some hawk fans I know. That's all I'm saying.

It's one thing to say something to someone in private and another to say things on the air.

There is little question you are telling the truth, but perception of Jon, or any radio personality for that matter, will always be dominated by his on air personality. It's just part of the gig.

If he isn't willing to be more transparent and objective on air...he's going to rightfully be labeled for the respective amount of bias he injects into his shows.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I did listen today. Threw in my mouth when he talked about his man crush for KF. And yes Jon we are going to hide behind message boards. Its a bit hard to tall your show when you only take 4 calls a day and by the time you get to taking calls most ISU fans have changed the channel. If you have an issue with how things are handled you can PM people, and most do respond to that.

Yeah John takes 4 calls a day and four of the calls are from his buddies lobbing softball questions & answers.....:biglaugh:

Reactions: kingcy

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006
Miller is playing you all like a fiddle like he always does. He will even tell you at times that he does this and says these things to get you going. It brings in the listeners. It makes me laugh how a guy rips on his interviews and all of that, yet continues to listen to them. Jon gets your appreciation when it takes less then 5 minutes to get a thread started about every little thing he says.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
Miller is playing you all like a fiddle like he always does. He will even tell you at times that he does this and says these things to get you going.

Of course that's what he says...just like when he and Deace make fun of the MB posters, yet Jon is one of them himself.

The truth of the matter is Jon likes to defend himself on the boards. Always has...and you can spin any way you like, but it'd take a matter of about 5 minutes linking past posts to prove it.

The truth is, WE stir Jon. Otherwise, there is really no reason for him to come here and keep defending himself.

It brings in the listeners. It makes me laugh how a guy rips on his interviews and all of that, yet continues to listen to them. Jon gets your appreciation when it takes less then 5 minutes to get a thread started about every little thing he says.

I listen because Deace actually knows what he is talking about and I don't care for Mike and Mike. Jon doesn't bring me in...that's why I only ever listened to his show about 5 times prior to him being on the AM slot. And that's why I've only caught about 2 segments with Deace on vaca this week.

Seriously, get a clue...people don't just start listening in because they see a thread on CF.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009

It's one thing to say something to someone in private and another to say things on the air.

There is little question you are telling the truth, but perception of Jon, or any radio personality for that matter, will always be dominated by his on air personality. It's just part of the gig.

If he isn't willing to be more transparent and objective on air...he's going to rightfully be labeled for the respective amount of bias he injects into his shows.

That's exactly what I wanted to say, egami, but couldn't put it the way you did. Good job.

My point, galactawitz, is that you said Jon was complimentary of Iowa State and how it was a great place to watch a game when he spoke to you in private, yet he rips on how Iowa State fans treat Iowa fans.

I've never been a fan of two-faced people -- even if the person is trying to drive up his ratings. I would rather have Jon tell you, "Yep, ISU sucks and they'll always suck." At least I would have a little more respect for the person.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Well, maybe Joe hok fan will stay away from Ames this year. If it's SO terrible and they are treated SO badly and Pollard screws them on the ticket price...well, stay home. I know that my trips to IC brought me to that conclusion. It just isn't worth the trouble to go there. Funny, my friends that are hok fans would rather go to the game in Ames because it's more fun and less hassle.

This plus 100. Stay the heck home, Hawk fans. Don't come to Iowa State games. Let ISU fans have those tickets.

Also, the ticket thing that has Iowa fans all upset at Pollard? Guess what? Iowa did it years ago when the rivalry was re-introduced. Iowa did the exact same thing to Iowa State fans.

Check it out if you don't believe me.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
Miller is playing you all like a fiddle like he always does. He will even tell you at times that he does this and says these things to get you going. It brings in the listeners. It makes me laugh how a guy rips on his interviews and all of that, yet continues to listen to them. Jon gets your appreciation when it takes less then 5 minutes to get a thread started about every little thing he says.

Just because he does a bad interview doesn't mean I don't like the guests or the rest of the show. Let me know when you have a real argument. Plus, Miller & Deace talk about college football all the time, and most of it is about ISU, Iowa, Big Ten & Big 12. Why would I want to listen to Mike & Mike relive Golic's glory days on the football field when I can have local hosts talking about what I care about. It doesn't make me any less of an ISU fan because I listen to the show. I don't even get riled up about his jabs at ISU and his blatant hawk love. I'm just saying he does a bad interview.

Now unless there's anything else you'd like to say, I'll consider this matter closed.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I generally listen, I turned away this morning with the Ferentz/value discussion.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
I generally listen, I turned away this morning with the Ferentz/value discussion.

I actually listened to that. My problem was that his entire definition of "value" was predicated on Iowa's circumstances. Since Iowa has another BCS school in state to compete against, since Iowa doesn't have as prominent of a history as other schools, and whatever other garbage he had to throw up there to hedge against any other possible argument for a coach someone might raise.

Cyclone29

Jul 21, 2009
If I actually thought I had a gift for this, then rip away. But that's something you made up. I do it for a few reasons:

1) They said they'd pay me to do it
2) It's fun
3) They said they'd pay me to do it
4) It's talking sports and getting paid to do it
5) They pay for my health insurance

Its only cuz your a hawk. Not like I actually mean it. If it was horrible I wouldnt listen.....but you do get turned off every now and then.:wink:
Its a great gig, dont blame you one bit. IMO its still big 10 radio.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron