miller without deace ouch

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
I said those other schools with the higher paid coaches have more advantages.

No one was contesting that.

Whining? I guess that is like the objectivity debate...if you agree with someone, they are objective. if not, they are homers, etc
No, as I said, I wasn't contesting that fact, as you stated it. Just noting that you WERE whining about it in an effort to bolster your bias about Ferentz's deity status.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If I actually thought I had a gift for this, then rip away. But that's something you made up. I do it for a few reasons:

1) They said they'd pay me to do it
2) It's fun
3) They said they'd pay me to do it
4) It's talking sports and getting paid to do it
5) They pay for my health insurance

Now you sound like Deace. Baby steps.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I wasn't going to say anything unless someone brought it up, but the morning show was kind of awkward. I don't get the whole point of the segment where he was asking his fill in guy about whether he was going to Ames to watch the game or not. It seemed like a veiled attempt to trash on Cyclone Fan.

I've been to most of the Iowa / ISU games in both venues. I've seen idiotic crap from both sets of fans.

But here is a little clue for you, Mr. IowaFanThatHasNeverLivedOutsideOfIowa, if you want to see a true heated rivalry with real life fan hatred and mistreatment of people go visit Columbus with the Maize and Blue are in town. Ames Iowa will seem like an amusement park.

No offense, but few folks cares about a Michigan fan bragging about other rivalries on a Big 12 site.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Now you sound like Deace. Baby steps.

Seriously, I do this job because it helps me pay the bills. If I didn't need the money this job provides to pay the bills, I wouldn't wake up at 4:20 each day just for the heck of it :)

Now, I also love my job..and I really enjoy doing the program with Steve. Like most of you, I prefer it when we are on the air together. It's a far better program than just me by myself.

(that sure sounds like it comes from someone that 'thinks they have a gift'. That was good for about a 5 second laugh from me.)

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Come on Jon....you own Hawkeye Nation. You're a homer. It's not a slam on you, it's a fact.

Dosry,

You know what? I think I'll agree with you :)

But when it comes to analysis and predictions and things like that, I really try to be objective...but one probably cannot totally eliminate bias from that, either.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Dosry,

You know what? I think I'll agree with you :)

But when it comes to analysis and predictions and things like that, I really try to be objective...but one probably cannot totally eliminate bias from that, either.

You just made my signature line....again.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I completely disagree with Jon's point about KF being the most irreplacable, but I also think most of you have been exaggerating his hawk homerness for the last couple years.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I am not offended because I generally don't do that.

True. I'll give you that, it's the first I've heard about it.

I agree its a bigger rivalry, I just dont see a point in bringing that here.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
well boys its high time that you realize that when you have a ten game losing streak and could not beat a good high school team ...YOU ARE GONNA BE THE BUTT OF ALL JOKES!!!!!

And Miller is the biggest whiner er whiners there have ever been or will be!!

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I assume Auburn-Alabama is something to behold based on what I've heard. Redneck hate sets the bar pretty high.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
I assume Auburn-Alabama is something to behold based on what I've heard. Redneck hate sets the bar pretty high.

On my list. One of my old college friends works at Auburn...I've seen pictures of some things. Crazy...very crazy. We kind of talk about Nebraska fans up in this area, but the deep southern SEC fans are easily on par with them, imo.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Well you didn't hear Miller's segment yesterday then, I am guessing. Becuase if you had my response would make more sense.

He has some former friend on air and spends an entire segment with this guy bagging on Ames and how bad it is as a Hawkeye to go to games in Ames for all of these various reasons. If it's podcasted I'd like to hear it again...because I didn't get to catch the entire segment and maybe there was more merit to the discussion, but what I heard basically came off as Hawkeye Homer Miller enabling is Hawkeye buddy friend to come on air and bag on Iowa State and their stadium and fan environment.

That's why I didn't just reply beating my chest about Michigan. I referenced the fact that I've actually been to almost all of the Iowa and Iowa State games for some time and that neither venue for visiting fans is nearly as bad as some other rivalries. I just used ours with OSU because I've been there first hand numerous times.

I've been to Auburn v. Georgia a few times too...and I am guessing that one would be up there as well from the few times I've been there.

He said it's bad for iowa fans to come to ISU? That they're treated bad?

That's rich.

The next time I go to Iowa City and am treated well by a hawk (that I don't know already), it'll be the first. I haven't been to many "major" venues, but the others I have been to, the random fan is 100x better than iowa fan. I'm sure iowa fan has trouble in Ames too - but I can't imagine it worse than what is dealt out in Iowa City.

To be fair, any person we've sat next to in kinnick has been friendly - for the most part. Although I've always sat in the ISU section - that may have something to do with it. But outside and on the streets - it's a whole different story. And I don't even tailgate there. Just park, walk to the game and walk back.

Last edited:

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
He said it's bad for iowa fans to come to ISU? That they're treated bad?

That's rich.

The next time I go to Iowa City and am treated well by a hawk (that I don't know already), it'll be the first. I haven't been to many "major" venues, but the others I have been to, the random fan is 100x better than iowa fan. I'm sure iowa fan has trouble in Ames too - but I can't imagine it worse that what is dealt out in Iowa City.

To be fair, any person we've sat next to in kinnick has been friendly - for the most part. Although I've always sat in the ISU section - that may have something to do with it. But outside and on the streets - it's a whole different story. And I don't even tailgate there. Just park, walk to the game and walk back.

I've had pretty good overall experience in Iowa City as a Michigan fan, but when you're wearing your teams gear (which I only do for the Michigan / Iowa game) there is a majorly noticeable difference in treatment.

Then again, a lot of it has to do with where you travel and hang out, and I avoid the student drinking areas and such for the most part. A guy I work with has pass parking adjacent to the law school parking lot and I've seen some nasty treatment of people with the kids drinking in that area.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
He has some former friend on air and spends an entire segment with this guy bagging on Ames and how bad it is as a Hawkeye to go to games in Ames for all of these various reasons. If it's podcasted I'd like to hear it again...because I didn't get to catch the entire segment and maybe there was more merit to the discussion, but what I heard basically came off as Hawkeye Homer Miller enabling is Hawkeye buddy friend to come on air and bag on Iowa State and their stadium and fan environment.

Well, maybe Joe hok fan will stay away from Ames this year. If it's SO terrible and they are treated SO badly and Pollard screws them on the ticket price...well, stay home. I know that my trips to IC brought me to that conclusion. It just isn't worth the trouble to go there. Funny, my friends that are hok fans would rather go to the game in Ames because it's more fun and less hassle.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I did listen today. Threw in my mouth when he talked about his man crush for KF. And yes Jon we are going to hide behind message boards. Its a bit hard to tall your show when you only take 4 calls a day and by the time you get to taking calls most ISU fans have changed the channel. If you have an issue with how things are handled you can PM people, and most do respond to that.

Last edited:

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
Well, maybe Joe hok fan will stay away from Ames this year. If it's SO terrible and they are treated SO badly and Pollard screws them on the ticket price...well, stay home. I know that my trips to IC brought me to that conclusion. It just isn't worth the trouble to go there. Funny, my friends that are hok fans would rather go to the game in Ames because it's more fun and less hassle.

In all seriousness, maybe they are to some degree...didn't Iowa return a decent allotment of tickets? It'll be interesting to see if Iowa's threats not to go are smoke when push comes to shove.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
I enjoy listening to the show usually, but Jon is a terrible interviewer. Ask your question and then shut up. Don't present a question, throw in a tought, change the subject, make a joke, throw in another thought, and then make your way back to the original question. I can just feel the uncomfortable tension that your interviewees are emitting through the radio. Jon does it all the time. He takes 15-20 seconds to ask a question when it should only take him 4-5 seconds at that most. Seriously, listen to Jim Rome, Dan Patrick, hell even listen to the blowhards on CNN & Fox News, they ask the question and then get out of the way. If Jon does a 5 minute interview, you can almost guarantee that he's talking during 65-70% of that interview.

Jon, if you're reading this, ask your question and then shut up. And don't give me this crap about "filler time" and "bringing out the interviewee". I'm schooled in broadcasting you do not do a good job of asking questions. Plain and simple.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I enjoy listening to the show usually, but Jon is a terrible interviewer. Ask your question and then shut up. Don't present a question, throw in a tought, change the subject, make a joke, throw in another thought, and then make your way back to the original question. I can just feel the uncomfortable tension that your interviewees are emitting through the radio. Jon does it all the time. He takes 15-20 seconds to ask a question when it should only take him 4-5 seconds at that most. Seriously, listen to Jim Rome, Dan Patrick, hell even listen to the blowhards on CNN & Fox News, they ask the question and then get out of the way. If Jon does a 5 minute interview, you can almost guarantee that he's talking during 65-70% of that interview.

Jon, if you're reading this, ask your question and then shut up. And don't give me this crap about "filler time" and "bringing out the interviewee". I'm schooled in broadcasting you do not do a good job of asking questions. Plain and simple.

tell us how you really feel......holding in your feelings is only going to give you a tummy ache....

galactawitz

Nov 27, 2007
Ames
Not that Jon needs any defending but I just wanted to say my part. I happened to run into Jon at a clone game a few years back, and while chit chatting he actually dissed Hawk fans to me that bashed Jack Trice, saying it was a great place to watch a game. Now part of Jon's job is to promote and debate Hawkeye athletics. Us clones happen to be in state rivals. If he wasn't making his team sound better than ours in some way shape or form, he probably isn't doing his job. I personally enjoy listening to both Jon and Deace, and don't see any so called arrogance out of either of them that isn't surpassed by most homer sports commentators.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
tell us how you really feel......holding in your feelings is only going to give you a tummy ache....

The funny thing is, he's knows I'm right. Marty used to do the same thing too. I say "used to" because I haven't listened to him since he said Mike Stoops was going to be our next HC, according to his "inside sources", which turned out to be his Hair Club for Men consultant or something like that.