Mid-American Energy Field at Jack Trice Stadium

Cyguy1984

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 1, 2018
But . . . how does an Energy Company make money other than by charging rates?

I mean, ultimately, you can't just say "take it from the shareholders" because that shareholder value comes from . . . making money . . . which comes from charging rates.

What am I missing?
Not to geek out too much on regulated utilities but here goes...

Utility rates are a calculation of cost of operations plus a return on and of capital. All of this is divided by “normalized” usage for customers. So shareholders get a return on the equity in the company ( you hear the term “Allowed rate of return”..not a guaranteed return but allowed. That’s the equity return component to shareholders).

Commissions can disallow costs if they find them imprudent or if is for things not allowed in rates (Most likely goodwill items). So when it’s taken from shareholders what is happening is if at the end of the year shareholders earned 8% on their shares, they would earn less than that because these goodwill costs would not be allowed in rates and therefore be deducted from any utility profits.

Believe it or not, that’s the simple explanation.

More than you wanted to know I’m sure but a great ice breaker at parties

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I would say it sure is a name change. For better or worse, it dilutes the "Jack Trice Stadium" label.

Here’s the thing, on the radio they will probably be forced into saying “MidAmerican Field at Jack Trice Stadium” however I don’t think ESPN or FOX will say that and they will still use just “Jack Trice Stadium”

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Here’s the thing, on the radio they will probably be forced into saying “MidAmerican Field at Jack Trice Stadium” however I don’t think ESPN or FOX will say that and they will still use just “Jack Trice Stadium”

Exactly. The ISU radio guys will say the entire name because they have to, but no one else will AT ALL. No TV commentator is going to say "We are here in Ames, Iowa. Welcome to Mid America Energy Field at Jack Trice Stadium." It's just not going to happen. The outrage over this is kind of ridiculous. ISU gets some coin, a few logos get thrown on the field and video boards; no harm no foul.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Exactly. The ISU radio guys will say the entire name because they have to, but no one else will AT ALL. No TV commentator is going to say "We are here in Ames, Iowa. Welcome to Mid America Energy Field at Jack Trice Stadium." It's just not going to happen. The outrage over this is kind of ridiculous. ISU gets some coin, a few logos get thrown on the field and video boards; no harm no foul.

Agree for the most part. Unfortunately I can see ignorant broadcasters not doing their homework and just going by the logos: “It’s a beautiful day for football here at MidAmerican Field, home of the Iowa Cyclones...”

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
A few things

1. Nobody will call it that.
2. I honestly don't understand why mid American energy sponsors stuff. It's not like I can go with someone else where I live
3. I appreciate them sponsoring this stuff since it will help our stadium look better

• Agree
Reactions: Cydkar

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I saw KCCI posted a poll on facebook or something like that asking what people thought of the "New Name Change"...

No name has been changed, what don't people understand about that?
This is correct. It was Jack Trice Stadium before. It is still Jack Trice Stadium.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I would say it sure is a name change. For better or worse, it dilutes the "Jack Trice Stadium" label.
I understand the concern.

I do think it is important for all fans to remain vigilant always and watch for media, newspaper coverage to be certain that productions and announcements are "Jack Trice Stadium" first and foremost.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Makes me want to switch electrical companies. Opps, not an option. OK, Then I'll just switch natural gas providers.. Errr, can't do that either. Makes me wonder why the are spending $15MM on advertising.

This was my first question too. How does Midamerican benefit from this??

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
FIrst quote out of ISU, Energy FIeld gets first billing.

AMES, Iowa – The Iowa State Athletics Department will implement a "clear bag policy" for football games at MidAmerican Energy Field at Jack Trice Stadium and all events in Hilton Coliseum beginning this fall. The policy will enhance stadium security while improving efficiency at the entry gates.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin

AMES, Iowa – The Iowa State Athletics Department will implement a "clear bag policy" for football games at MidAmerican Energy Field at Jack Trice Stadium and all events in Hilton Coliseum beginning this fall. The policy will enhance stadium security while improving efficiency at the entry gates.
Maybe it’s just me and it’s a Friday, but I feel like that’s more of a language quirk than “getting first billing.” I guess you could do something like “Jack Trice Stadium, home to midamerican energy field” but that feels a bit wordy/awkward.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Of course it's mentioned first. You're not going to say "Jack Trice Stadium featuring MidAmerican Energy Field."
The field always gets mentioned first.