Memphis loses to DII school

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I can vaguely remember one of our great teams in the late 1990s, early 2000s nearly losing to Morningside in what I think was an exhibition game.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Syracuse lost to a D2 school about 5 years ago. They ended up having a pretty good season.

I remember when this happened, which proves that you can't put too much stock in this loss. Nevertheless, in the meantime, it is and should be SUPER embarassing.

Last edited:

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Embarrassing. It happened to Syracuse a couple years ago, to a D-2 I believe in their same town.

Almost wonder if coaches "throw" exhibition games to get their team's attention or bring them down a notch. Not out-and-out throw them, but maybe substitute on a schedule without regard to game situations and so forth.

As the story goes, The Dream Team lost their first scrimmage to the college all-stars they were practicing with. I think Daly admitted later he threw the game.

PS-I think the near-debacle against Morningside was a regular season game. It was before they dropped back down to D-3, IIRC.

Last edited:

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Seems to happen every year. Very rarely seems to mean all that much when it comes to regular season performance.

Guetterdone1

Jul 4, 2012
Ames
Completely disagree with everyone on here. The bench players should be better than anyone on the other team. It's an embarrassment and people would be talking differently if it happened to us. It shows lack of focus and competitiveness.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It happened during one of his seasons as coach — can't remember which.

If that EA Sports exhibition had taken place a day before or after, Iowa State would win by 37.

That was the Wayne era for ya.
Wasn't that EASports squad loaded with former Div 1 players especially from the Big 12? Good players just not quite good enough for the league if I recall correctly. Or maybe that was Global Sports.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
It seems every year some team loses and everyone overreacts. I think this is just a symptom of the transition between football and basketball. In basketball upsets happen much more frequently as teams just get hot one night. We don't see that nearly as often in football. Give it a few weeks and these losses won't seem that inportant.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Well Calvin Godfrey had 3 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 turnovers in the game..

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I remember sitting through a game on the McDermott era right before xmas and losing to a team that was in, I believe, their first year of Division One. South Dakota State maybe?