Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Looks a little like Greg McD.
attachment.php

Looks like McDoormat
Coaches like Fred

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
We are a better job than Memphis, better facilities, more money, better fan base, power 5 conference. Here, if a coach can consistently win 6-8 wins a year holy **** we wouldn't know what to do with ourselves.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Jamies biggest quality is a football coach who isa "Good Fit" 4 ISU................In other words Clone of Rhoads...lol

Jamie said he hired Rhoads because he was a great fit for ISU..............Good Luck on our next Coaching Hire.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Argued with my son (he's 29 so has watched a lot of football) last night, we sounded like a "Tastes Great, Less Filling" beer commercial. He said "poor coaching," I said "poor recruiting."

The Iowa game, did Mangino attempt to make adjustments in the second half, when our offense performed so poorly? My son said Mangino failed to adjust (for one thing, he wanted more deep balls to open up UI defense), I said maybe Mangino attempted to adjust but we don't have players talented enough to execute.

My son believes we have the players to compete but are being held in check by poor coaching. I believe coaching isn't neuro science and our coaches have been successful elsewhere, recruiting is the key to success and ours hasn't been good enough.

Anyone here who has coaching-level knowledge of the game who would care to comment? Thanks.

Last edited:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Argued with my son (he's 29 so has watched a lot of football) last night, we sounded like a "Tastes Great, Less Filling" beer commercial. He said "poor coaching," I said "poor recruiting."

The two aren't mutually exclusive. When a team is where ISU is right now, deficiencies in both are probably playing a part.

As an example:
All of Rhoad's recruiting class ranking have been high 50's or worse and near/at the bottom of the Big 12 (24/7 sports)...
ISU ran the ball to a hashmark to kick a game winning FG...

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Bill Snyder can develop average players into a solid team that plays with sound fundamentals and execution. Something that's not happening here. Penalties, turnovers, and inconsistent play is ISU's strong suit.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
ISU is a better job no doubt right now...but it would not surprise me I'm the least to see Memphis in the big 12 in the future. Memphis is building a new stadium, has the owner of Fed Ex as an alum and wants to see Memphis in a major conf., Memphis TV market is big as well. Or Cinncinati. It's all about the TV market not who follows the teams. Example...Rutgers...Horrible fan following and nobody cares in the NJ or NY market about Rutgers football yet they got in the BIG. Any way..sorry didn't want to turn this into a expansion thread at all.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
The two aren't mutually exclusive. When a team is where ISU is right now, deficiencies in both are probably playing a part. . . .

Yeah, we both agreed that there's a mixture. We were arguing the major, or key, flaw (if one is dominant), I should have described the issue better.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Yeah, we both agreed that there's a mixture. We were arguing the major, or key, flaw (if one is dominant), I should have described the issue better.

Understood. It's an interesting question. Personally, I've come to the conclusion that the deficiencies in both are such that neither is dominant.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The Memphis offense is certainly impressive, but I kept asking myself last night if Sam could have made all of the same plays the Memphis kid did? If the answer is no, is it talent or coaching the kid up to get that point?

IGoState

Jan 15, 2011
I've watched a CPR lead team snatch a loss from the jaws of victory way too many times to point to anything less than a majority at the primary consistency. Could the talent be better? Yes but doesn't matter when incompetency is running the show.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I've watched a CPR lead team snatch a loss from the jaws of victory way too many times to point to anything less than a majority at the primary consistency. Could the talent be better? Yes but doesn't matter when incompetency is running the show.

DMac was a master at snatching losses from the jaws of victory. Even better than CPR at doing it.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
DMac was a master at snatching losses from the jaws of victory. Even better than CPR at doing it.
Someone posts something criticizing CPR and Stormin inexplicably rebuts with how DMac was worse as if that matters in any way.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Someone posts something criticizing CPR and Stormin inexplicably rebuts with how DMac was worse as if that matters in any way.

Just pointing out that snatching loss from the jaws of victory is nothing new. In fact the second half collapses of DMac's teams are almost legendary. Chizik was no slouch either with his epic collapses against Kansas and Toledo.