McKay found his Groove

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I'm curious who gets squeezed out of the line up in crunch time now, will it be Hogue or one of Long or BDJ? Could always go game by game as well.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I like how McKay goes all-out. Not saying other players don't, but he looks frenetic. There are probably occasions when that requires toning-done a bit, but Fred will help fix that.

Love having a center who can run the floor like that. (blocked shots & offensive rebounds are a plus, obviously).

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
Actually.... weren't we down double digits in several games? I think they had the will to come back and a little bit of luck.

This team will find its own identity. They haven't had too many close ones, and need to learn how to win them with this year's version.

Last year played with a chip but didn't have huge expectations. This year they have a target on their backs. The familiarity of the Big 12 should help.

Good points in this post, ISU needs to learn how to play not being the underdog.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
He was great on offense. I wish he'd keep his feet on the floor more on defense. That's a personal preference thing for me, but seemed like too many times he'd go for blocked shots rather than playing good fundamental defense.

JWIL4CY

Nov 17, 2010
Urbandale
I like how McKay goes all-out. Not saying other players don't, but he looks frenetic. There are probably occasions when that requires toning-done a bit, but Fred will help fix that.

Love having a center who can run the floor like that. (blocked shots & offensive rebounds are a plus, obviously).

Im pretty sure fred has told the guys to go 110% at all times since we have the depth to give breaks when needed.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
McKay has a huge ceiling. Only thing I want is for him to settle down a bit so that the game slows down to him. He still plays a little too frantic. I agree with the poster above, his feet need to stay on the ground until he knows its good to leave the floor. He will get called for too many fouls in conference play if he keeps leaving his feet so quickly.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
If he can improve his FT shot considerably he will be borderline unstoppable. It is great to have his size and athleticism on this team. I was so surprised by how quick he is over these past few games. Good to see him start to click today, just wish he wasn't the only Cyclone to show up.

McKay shot 70% from the line. The rest of the team shot 52%.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
And coming back from 10 point deficits.

18 against UNI. And they only survived that because UNI stopped doing what worked.

The 3-4 losses that ISU could have had prior to conference last year were games where they didn't control the game much at all.

Some folks have a very glossy memory of last year's team.

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
actually I think McKay disrupts the flow of the game, George is out of his normal position, It will get better but think Fred needs to adjust roles

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
18 against UNI. And they only survived that because UNI stopped doing what worked.

The 3-4 losses that ISU could have had prior to conference last year were games where they didn't control the game much at all.

Some folks have a very glossy memory of last year's team.

Well my memory I don't believe was that glossy. What games did we almost lose last year where we didn't dictate the tempo for most of the game? Michigan? BYU? Boise?

Enlighten please

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
actually I think McKay disrupts the flow of the game, George is out of his normal position, It will get better but think Fred needs to adjust roles

Sadly I was somewhat thinking the same thing. Georges looked a little like the team was out-growing him yesterday. Is that actually happening? probably not, but the athleticism difference is starting to show a bit. McKay running all over the place making plays, taking touches away from Georges is probably messing with his rhythm.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Georges problem was he was wearing 1-2 defenders at any given time. There was nothing negative about McKay's game.

If I were to really look for an issue, it would be that perhaps we overplayed the perimeter too much at times, relying on McKay to be the backstop.

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
I always hated when people said ISU "lived and died by the three" in previous years, I thought it was an easy statement to blanket ISU with.

This year however it appears we do somewhat live up to this monicker.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
How do we correct the out of sync play?

Monte needs to be more aggressive. Maybe he was overwhelmed and played soft at times. He did not stress their defense much with two assists. We need more of a killer attitude. The Edge and Kane had it.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Well my memory I don't believe was that glossy. What games did we almost lose last year where we didn't dictate the tempo for most of the game? Michigan? BYU? Boise?

Enlighten please

Its pretty easy to play at the tempo we want against BYU when they want to go every bit as fast. I don't think you could say we were in control of the UNI or Iowa games either. Yes, you could look and say they won almost every 50/50 game last year so they were tougher or you could look at it and say "why were they in so many 50/50 games"?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I always hated when people said ISU "lived and died by the three" in previous years, I thought it was an easy statement to blanket ISU with.

This year however it appears we do somewhat live up to this monicker.

I disagree, while the 3's are the end result. We "die" when we get stagnant with the ball and don't make the extra pass. Our biggest stat that correlates to W's is assist, that's been the case the entire Fred era. Sure you need to make shots to get assist but moving the ball and getting good spacing usually means more made shots.

CyCal

Apr 22, 2014
IMO this team has the talent to beat anyone, they just need to learn how to dictate their will on other teams REGARDLESS of how the other team likes to play.

Last years team was really good at dictating the tempo from the start of games.

Sorry, but that is revisionist history. Don't you remember trailing pretty much everyone we played by 10 points or more (18 against UNI) last year?

Last year's team had a knack for imposing its will and pace on people late in the game when its back was against the wall. There were plenty of games that our offense was stuck in the mud for the first 20 or even 30 minutes of a game. This year's team just needs to figure out how to flip on that switch when our back is against the wall like we always seemed to do last year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron