MBB: Meltdown thread

CycloneTony

Nov 3, 2007
Indianola
Im guessing if things dont improve by the end of next year We will be looking for a new coach this is the worst game ive whatched ISU play ive whatched cyclones sports since 87 Wow

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Did you just watch any of that game? We got THROTTLED by Drake. We made Drake look like the spurs.

Lets just hope Iowa's guard squad is as bad as ours. If so I think we have a shot.

lennon3

Apr 11, 2006
I really hope we see BIG improvements in our basketball program quick. Because one of the more devastating things that could happen would be a 5 star in the making sitting in our backyard turning us down. And it is going to be hard for him to pick the good guys over the Kansas of the world if we don't make huge improvements!!

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Im guessing if things dont improve by the end of next year We will be looking for a new coach this is the worst game ive whatched ISU play ive whatched cyclones sports since 87 Wow

I'm guessing your guess is wrong. Coaches should get three years to build their team, and in this case, it should be 4. I will be right there asking for a coaching change when GMac has a senior class he recruited go through his system, if they are unsuccessful.

Rickybaby

Apr 15, 2006
So for us in the don't know, what exactly was the final score? Its not up at cyclones.com.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Lets just hope Iowa's guard squad is as bad as ours. If so I think we have a shot.

Iowa had 29 turnovers at home against Lousiana Monroe.

Their guards are better scorers, though.

The line in that game is going to be VERY interesting.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Did you just watch any of that game? We got THROTTLED by Drake. We made Drake look like the spurs.

Ok, we all need to hold hands and start singing Kum Ba Yah or some other feel good song. Brian - come back to the light, come back to the light!

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN

We may need a couple more Iowa players to pass out in a bathroom stall.

Ooh, that could be a good chant for the Iowa game...

"Bathroom Stall Bohall" *clap, clap, clap-clap-clap*

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
A few random thoughts.

I agree that college basketball is a guards game, but it is very frustrating that we missed so badly in the recruitment of guards. BP and SH both walk ons are starting ahead of all the scholarship guards. It is very frustrating that amongst Brister, Boozer and Garrett none of them have shown enough to beat out the walkons. Additionally Brister is already gone, and Boozer only sees time in mop up situations.

It is very disturbing that this team is constantly getting pounded on the glass. We have enough talent in the front court that this shouldn't be happening.

I don't like the coaching philosophy where players can sit out practice due to injury and still play in the games. This is a dangerous precedent that can lead to chemistry issues and lack of toughness. Teams play as they practice if a player isn't able to go in practice then they shouldn't be rewarded with playing time. This in no way is a knock on injured players.

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale

I've been following ISU sports since 1983. This is the worst BB team that we have fielded in that entire timeframe. The guard play is absolutely horrible. Bryan Petersen and Sean Haluska should never see the court, but for some reason ISU can not retain guards. I recall many people (*****, Tirrell, etc) blaming LE for all of the attrition. Well, LE is long gone and still we are 'short handed'.

I am convinced that ISU has a tradition of losing in BB and FB because patience has too long been the byword for excusing lousy performance. Too many years are written off because it is a no coach or someone is hurt or some other excuse. Under no circumstances should ISU ever lose by 35 to DRAKE.

chriscyzer

Jun 27, 2006
Ames, Iowa
I'm guessing your guess is wrong. Coaches should get three years to build their team, and in this case, it should be 4. I will be right there asking for a coaching change when GMac has a senior class he recruited go through his system, if they are unsuccessful.
I agree with what you said. But we still do not lose to Drake. At least not like that. Ever. Drake cannot own us like that. 0-12 in the Big 12 I can see. But Iowa State cannot lose to Drake by 30 and expect anything great on the horizon.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Didnt UNI beat a decent LSU a couple of years ago?

And your point is? LSU had a decent team that year, but they were without one of their main guys that game. It was early in the year...similar to when Drake beat our '99 team. After that win and the start UNI had...everyone thought they were going to dominate the Valley and they didn't even finish top 2. In fact, if memory serves me, they petered out badly late and finished something like 4th or 5th, but got into the NCAA because of their early season success.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I agree with what you said. But we still do not lose to Drake. At least not like that. Ever. Drake cannot own us like that. 0-12 in the Big 12 I can see. But Iowa State cannot lose to Drake by 30 and expect anything great on the horizon.

Yeah, I am not saying I am happy about this team. I think we hit the perfect storm tonight...a hot-shooting, quick backcourted, jacked-up team that went up against a shorthanded, confused, young team.

I hear your frustration, though.

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale

I wasn't thrilled with the hire and said so on this board. I am willing to wait and see because there is nothing else I can do. That said, it is extremely difficult for me to see how year 3 or 4 is going to magically be better. The offense is mechanical at best. Buckley and Eichmeir (sp?) may help some, but Mann and the kid from Utah are a reach at this level. Not going crazy here or anything, but I just am not impressed with the results of this coaching staff to date. There was an utter lack of discipline and fundamentals displayed tonight. And isn't that what we were (justifiably) upset with the previous regime for?

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I think it's been proven by now that we can have absolutely no expectations from MBB this year. Or even next year. Basically, just don't have expectations until we achieve something to be expected.