Marty Tirrell arrested on fraud charges

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Those people sure aren't going to get any money with him sitting in a cell, and we're paying for it. IMO there are a lot better ways of dealing with non-violent criminals.

Right? I'd rather my taxes go towards a system where you could put him in a supervised halfway house and (well maybe not with the virus going on right now) tell him to take on part time jobs and start paying his debts back. Obviously many more details to iron out in this scenario but you get the idea.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Maybe Chris or someone with radio experience can chime in but how much does it cost to buy air space here? That article said he was getting $60,000 per month in gross revenues from Toyota of Des Moines and others - curious how much of that went to the radio station and how much he kept...

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Those people sure aren't going to get any money with him sitting in a cell, and we're paying for it. IMO there are a lot better ways of dealing with non-violent criminals.

This guy stole over $1 million from people and you don't think he should go to jail? I'm curious what "a lot of better ways of dealing with" this is?

Do you not think that someone who has been scamming people for 20 years will do it again if given the chance?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This guy stole over $1 million from people and you don't think he should go to jail? I'm curious what "a lot of better ways of dealing with" this is?

Do you not think that someone who has been scamming people for 20 years will do it again if given the chance?

We have more people in our prisons than any country in the world. Prisons should be reserved for murder, rape, assault, etc (violent crimes only). If nothing else, the compromise would be work release programs.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I would like to know how someone as sharp as Crawford is supposed to be got involved with MT

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
We have more people in our prisons than any country in the world. Prisons should be reserved for murder, rape, assault, etc (violent crimes only). If nothing else, the compromise would be work release programs.

Chemical castration. Is that on the table?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

I get that. We also have the most criminals than any other country in the world...

I get where you are going but "work release programs" don't really solve your problem. We are still paying for them in some fashion and who is hiring someone that has swindled people out of millions of dollars? Are we giving them government assistance to rent an apartment and buy food?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I get that. We also have the most criminals than any other country in the world...

I get where you are going but "work release programs" don't really solve your problem. We are still paying for them in some fashion and who is hiring someone that has swindled people out of millions of dollars? Are we giving them government assistance to rent an apartment and buy food?

Work release, and part of your pay goes to providing you a cell, and the rest goes to restoring your victims.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
What do you do to a guy that says things like this?

“I’m like a cockroach,” he told the Des Moines Register in 2014. “You can step on me. You’re going to hear the crunch. But you can lift your foot up, and I’m going to go for the daylight.”

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
What do you do to a guy that says things like this?

“I’m like a cockroach,” he told the Des Moines Register in 2014. “You can step on me. You’re going to hear the crunch. But you can lift your foot up, and I’m going to go for the daylight.”

put him in the fed pen for a few years.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
While sitting in a cell it is going to be hard for him to swindle others.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Any chance he can fool 60 Minutes enough to get them to do a 15 minute segment on him?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've mentioned it before, the sad thing is he had a kid with Gifford, so you know he's a deadbeat and she is most likely dealing with it all on her own.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Work release, and part of your pay goes to providing you a cell, and the rest goes to restoring your victims.

In theory, sure. In concept, I doubt it. Your going to get him (most likely) a minimum or near-minimum wage job. Let's say you get him a job at B-Bops for $9.50 an hour:

1. You hope he doesn't skip town.
2. He works 40 hours per week (unlikely) so he earns $380 per week before taxes. Let's say his take home pay is $340. He works 52 weeks per year and rakes in a whopping $17,680.
3. Based on my research, on average, it costs about $31,000 to house a prisoner. He's not in supermax or anything, so let's assume it costs 1/3 of that in his work release system.
4. So he pays $10,000 of his $17,680 to the state to house him which leaves him $7,680 to pay back to his victims.
5. How long are you going to keep him in this system? Indefinitely? Until he pays back his victims? He swindled about $1,200,000 (that we know of) out of people. So all we have to do is keep him in this work release program for 1,578 years and he's paid everyone back!
6. And this is assuming he won't scam or steal from anyone else while he is on this work release program.

Tell me how that system even remotely works?

Easy to throw a simplified solution out there when in reality, it just doesn't work. Send him to jail where he belongs for a a few years like the rest of the criminals.

Reactions: khardbored

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If his history has anything to teach us, he will get out eventually and do some of the same stuff again. At this point, I think you have to be pretty naive to fall victim to him, but it will probably happen.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I've mentioned it before, the sad thing is he had a kid with Gifford, so you know he's a deadbeat and she is most likely dealing with it all on her own.

As a Dad this is what kills me. As much as I want to laugh and dance all over his proverbial grave I just can't because I feel awful for his kid.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
As a Dad this is what kills me. As much as I want to laugh and dance all over his proverbial grave I just can't because I feel awful for his kid.
When I read he got kicked out of the homeless facility I knew if he didnt even care about himself anymore that Charlie (the daughter) is probably just better off.