MAILBAG: Is Iowa State an NCAA Tournament team?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
No way of telling just yet. I think it will depend a lot on momentum. If we can somehow sneak a few victories out early (I like the way it sets up with home against K State and UT before traveling to Stillwater (and then KU)), we have a shot. We definitely have the talent, but we will have to clean up the mistakes and solidify the roles.

The one thing that we've seen so far from this group is the ability to close out close games at the end. They'll need to continue to do that, as most prospective wins will probably come down to the last 5 minutes.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I'm saying no right now; my expectations are set where I could actually enjoy a NIT run this year.

• Agree
Reactions: Stereotype

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I have a bad feeling about the UNI game, but even with a loss to them ISU should be able to get in with 9-10 Big 12 conference wins. The Tennessee game is going to be a big one.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'm hoping for a tourney bid this yr. I like the streak we've got going. All I know is that it's been a lot of fun to watch this team to grow and improve this season, and I'm looking forward to watching them improve as the season goes along.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Tell me, because I don't want to look it up, was that Alex dude that asked "how screwed are we" the same one that told people to look at CF to see the negativity?

Gookin was pointing out how much the fans supported him. Way, way off with that comment. It was the Kody with a K guy.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
No way of telling just yet. I think it will depend a lot on momentum. If we can somehow sneak a few victories out early (I like the way it sets up with home against K State and UT before traveling to Stillwater (and then KU)), we have a shot. We definitely have the talent, but we will have to clean up the mistakes and solidify the roles.
Totally agree with this. If they can start 3-0, I think they are right back on track.
Hold serve at home (except maybe KU..boo) and pick off a few wins on the road, especially the games you should win, and I can see this team land on the right side of the bubble.

UNI game isn't a must win, but it would definitely boost the resume.

Aug 26, 2014
I originally thought a bubble team, but CSP is bringing these guys together much faster than I thought. I am starting to have hope that we can squeeze in this year. The bubble will be soft.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm pretty confident in saying that an 8 win Big 12 team will be in this year. The B1G appears to be even weaker than last year, which should open up some bids.

• Agree
Reactions: MartinCy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's encouraging that they've found success on what looks like reliance on raw ability.

To me it looks like other teams' bigs have better handles and shooting ability which will be a concern entering league play.