LET'S HOPE JEREMY IS RIGHT ON..HARBAUGH'S OUR GUY!!

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Disagree with the statement that Harbaugh could make a bigger splash in the MAC.

First of all, we play in the Big XII (a BCS conference) and while at the bottom, we only have one place to go (UP). Secondly, an upset of one the premier teams like Texas or Oklahoma gets you TONS of publicity whereas in the MAC you would have to go undefeated to barely be recognized. IF you can turn it around in a couple years (when our schedule is favorable) and manage to win the Big XII North and somehow win the Title game, take your choice of where you want to go (including Michigan). IMO you can really make a name for yourself at ISU if you would happen to be ultra successful. If you are moderately successful in year 3 with our favorable schedule and manage an 8-3 mark or better you can probably pick and choose your next stop.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I agree Stormin - Look how Mac was perceived and you will see how easy it is to get National love at ISU. If you take this school to back to back 4-4 seasons in the big 12 people will say there is no way you can do any better than that.

gmckern

Oct 23, 2006
I'll play devil's advocate here. Any up and coming coach is going to take a looooong look at what ISU has coming back(depth chart, OL/DL), and how quickly he thinks he can get it turned around. ISU has a lot of obstacles to overcome. Location, Tradition, Budget, 0-8 Big XII season, and Location especially when it comes to recruiting.

I think ISU will have a difficult time getting their top guy. It would be easier for a coach like Harbough to prove himself in the MAC than with ISU in the Big XII.

Just my 2 cents.

Later all

So NU Follower, does Lincoln Nebraska have such the better location for recruiting? If I remember correctly, they didn't get the first few coahces they were after in the hiring process.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I'll play devil's advocate here. Any up and coming coach is going to take a looooong look at what ISU has coming back(depth chart, OL/DL), and how quickly he thinks he can get it turned around. ISU has a lot of obstacles to overcome. Location, Tradition, Budget, 0-8 Big XII season, and Location especially when it comes to recruiting.

I think ISU will have a difficult time getting their top guy. It would be easier for a coach like Harbough to prove himself in the MAC than with ISU in the Big XII.

Just my 2 cents.

Later all

I'll have to respectfully disagree with this. I think part of being a top coach is being constantly driven to take challenges head on. You look at ISU and you actually have very little to lose as an up and coming coach, yet you are in a major conference with a team that if they show even a bit of improvement you could be considered a genius. At this point, it's not going to take much to improve next year. All you really have to do is get your team to at least compete in their 8 conference losses. Plus, as a coach, you make a splash with ISU and in a few years get them back into North contention or God forbid, actually get them in the title game and you have just made a name for yourself. Yeah, winning in the Mac will do you good, but, winning in the Big XII will mean more to just about anyone.

I would even argue, to an up and coming coach, ISU probably looks a little more attractive than a Nebraska or Colorado would. There is a winning tradition at those schools that they are expecting to get back to. At ISU we are just looking at improving over our last coaches performance. You have less pressure for championships. Your pressure is merely getting your team to compete in it's conference. We're not expecting National Championships. I would say most NU fans are looking for BCS bids to be coming real soon.

JokersWild

Mar 29, 2006
Shoot, you consistently win 7-8 games at ISU and you look like a genius. Dan was close to looking that way, he just missed an opportunity or two to look really good.

NU Follower

Apr 14, 2006
So NU Follower, does Lincoln Nebraska have such the better location for recruiting? If I remember correctly, they didn't get the first few coahces they were after in the hiring process.

Better location, not necessarily, but Nebraska does have numerous recruiting advantages over ISU (and the rest of the north teams).
1.) Tradition -- Nothing like 5 national championship tropheys, 3 heisman tropheys and numberous outland award winners.
2.) Facilities -- With Nebraska's recent facilities upgrades, only Texas (possibly OU and A&M) have better/similar facilities.
3.) Fan/Alumni support. 281 consecutive sellout dating back to 1960. Game day atmosphere and fan support are second to none in the conference. Nebraska demands a winning product on the field.
4.) Athletic/Recruiting budget. Top 2/3 in the conference.
5.) Coaching. Callahan has been an NFL coach and even coached in a SuperBowl. He brought in assistants who were known for the recruiting prowess, ei Blake and Busch.
6.) Lincoln is the 2nd largest city in the Big XII where the conference team is located in. Only Austin is bigger.

Like you said, Nebraska was passed over by several candidates and NU has all these advantages over all the other north teams. I feel ISU could be (notice I said could) career suicide for a coach if ISU continues to struggle. Your disadvantages in location, tradition, facilities, budget just make it more difficult to lure a high-profile guy to Ames.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
1.) Tradition -- Nothing like 5 national championship tropheys, 3 heisman tropheys and numberous outland award winners.
2.) Facilities -- With Nebraska's recent facilities upgrades, only Texas (possibly OU and A&M) have better/similar facilities.
3.) Fan/Alumni support. 281 consecutive sellout dating back to 1960. Game day atmosphere and fan support are second to none in the conference. Nebraska demands a winning product on the field.
5.) Coaching. Callahan has been an NFL coach and even coached in a SuperBowl. He brought in assistants who were known for the recruiting prowess, ei Blake and Busch.
6.) Lincoln is the 2nd largest city in the Big XII where the conference team is located in. Only Austin is bigger.

Really? Nebraska has all of that? I never knew. :wink0st:

I wouldn't be so proud of #5 though. A guy that took over a team after a Super Bowl year and assisted in driving them straight into the ground. Great find!

NU Follower

Apr 14, 2006

I wouldn't be so proud of #5 though. A guy that took over a team after a Super Bowl year and assisted in driving them straight into the ground. Great find!

Before the season, all ISU fans said the Cally couldn't put a gameplan together unless he had two weeks of prep time. 8-3 so far, with no bye-weeks. Soon NU will have swept the north division and has already won the north for the first time since 1999. I don't see ISU being competitive with NU for another 4 seasons. 2010 in Ames could be difficult if you get the right coach.

NU Follower

Apr 14, 2006

Oh, I also forgot to mention how well Oakland has done since Cally left. I guess they were just loaded with talent and Cally made them crappy the last 3 years.

cyclonekj

Apr 11, 2006
Better location, not necessarily, but Nebraska does have numerous recruiting advantages over ISU (and the rest of the north teams).

Like you said, Nebraska was passed over by several candidates and NU has all these advantages over all the other north teams. I feel ISU could be (notice I said could) career suicide for a coach if ISU continues to struggle. Your disadvantages in location, tradition, facilities, budget just make it more difficult to lure a high-profile guy to Ames.

Some of these points are definitely feathers in NU's cap. A few are quite over-blown, but you are correct that there are some advantages over ISU.

Why does that mean we should have no hope of attracting a quality coach?

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
Oh, I also forgot to mention how well Oakland has done since Cally left. I guess they were just loaded with talent and Cally made them crappy the last 3 years.

Don't go taking away any responsibility Callahan has for Oaklands demise and put it all on Davis and Shell. He has quite a bit to do with the current state of affairs.

ISUCLONES15

Mar 24, 2006
Altoona

Unfortunately, we as ISU fans have absolutely no room to trash talk anyone else when it comes to football. While I do not like Cally as a person, he is getting the job done in Lincoln.

I do not buy in to the crap about ISU being a coaching graveyard and ISU not being competitive until 2010. Thats nothing but an NU fans opinion. I would expect nothing less.

If ISU gets the right guy (Harbaugh IS my choice of the right guy) then name recognition alone will get the attention of the big time recruits. With a little smoozing from the assistants could you imagine how a kid and is dad would feel having Jim Harbaugh in their living room selling the crap out of the ISU program? You know and I know that the potential for great things is there! :yes4lo:

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
So Callahan can go 8-3 in a relatively weak Big XII North and he is a genius. Solich did that good and was ridden out of town. With all those natural advantages why isn't Callahan tearing up the Big XII?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Before the season, all ISU fans said the Cally couldn't put a gameplan together unless he had two weeks of prep time. 8-3 so far, with no bye-weeks. Soon NU will have swept the north division and has already won the north for the first time since 1999. I don't see ISU being competitive with NU for another 4 seasons. 2010 in Ames could be difficult if you get the right coach.

Don't count those chickens before they hatch. If Harbaugh started how I think he has the game in two years back in Ames that could be a Clone win. I do not think Nebraska has gone that far down the road. They only won the North.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Some of these points are definitely feathers in NU's cap. A few are quite over-blown, but you are correct that there are some advantages over ISU.

Why does that mean we should have no hope of attracting a quality coach?

So Lincoln has a bigger town than A&M and Okie State and Okie. I do not see that being as big an advantage as a solid airport. If you look further aound the country, size of town may not be that great a factor as is the staff. Chicago has not had too many great teams lately.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

You forgot the following:

7.) There is absolutely nothing to do in Nebraska. I mean seriously, it takes what....3...4 days to drive through?
8.) You have no Nebraska State to compete with.
9.) Two words: Lawrenece Pillips
10.) Two more words: Eric Crouch

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

Nebraska swept the North in 2006. What an accomplishment!

Wait, doesn't the North stink worse than an 1000 head hog confinement building?

Well - you're the kings of the stink. Congrats! *hands you the Hog Poo trophy*

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Unfortunately, we as ISU fans have absolutely no room to trash talk anyone else when it comes to football. While I do not like Cally as a person, he is getting the job done in Lincoln.

I do not buy in to the crap about ISU being a coaching graveyard and ISU not being competitive until 2010. Thats nothing but an NU fans opinion. I would expect nothing less.

If ISU gets the right guy (Harbaugh IS my choice of the right guy) then name recognition alone will get the attention of the big time recruits. With a little smoozing from the assistants could you imagine how a kid and is dad would feel having Jim Harbaugh in their living room selling the crap out of the ISU program? You know and I know that the potential for great things is there! :yes4lo:

Callahan isn't doing anything that Solich didn't already do. Solich was fired and Callahan is being lifted on high, as another poster mentioned. The grass is always greener on the other side, eh?

NU Follower

Apr 14, 2006
Nebraska swept the North in 2006. What an accomplishment!

Wait, doesn't the North stink worse than an 1000 head hog confinement building?

Well - you're the kings of the stink. Congrats! *hands you the Hog Poo trophy*

Baby steps, Callahan has come back from crapping in his own diaper(2004), to a solid season(possibly good to great) depending on how we do in the Conference Championship game. You do realize NU can still go to the Fiesta bowl this year. That's a little more than a Hog Poo trophy.

My expectations for Nebraska are to sweep the north 5-7 times every 10 years(which almost ensures that you win the north), win the Big XII 2-4 times every 10 years, and have an opportunity to play for it all when they win the Big XII.

Later and good luck with the coaching search.