LET'S HOPE JEREMY IS RIGHT ON..HARBAUGH'S OUR GUY!!

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
I've been in the Harbaugh camp for a couple of weeks and the more I hear the more I like. There are several good candidates out there, but NONE that can bring everything to the table JH can.
Quite a few people ripped me for thumping the drum for JH so much on this site..but think of the excitement ISU will have IF we get the job done. Mac did a great job growing the program, now the batton will be passed to a fresh face. Lets' hope it Harbaugh.

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
There are a couple things that bother me about Harbaugh with the most being that we would be far, far from his final destination. I could see him looking at us much in the same way he probably did when he took the job in San Diego. A temporary and brief stop.

Don't get me wrong, I realize there aren't a lot of coaches who aspire to coach the rest of their lives in Ames, but I wouldn't mind getting one who would be happy being here for more than a couple recruiting classes.

I don't get the feeling that Harbaugh is this guy.

JokersWild

Mar 29, 2006
Yeah, he won't stay. In fact, I believe in his SD contract he has something about being able to talk to prospective universities anytime during the season (obviously) so, I think he would have something to that effect in something he was to do here.

But, as someone mentioned, I bet he could sell quite a few tickets for 4 years or so. Which would help get facilities going. Which would be good for the next hire.

I guess that's the way I look at it.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
There are a couple things that bother me about Harbaugh with the most being that we would be far, far from his final destination. I could see him looking at us much in the same way he probably did when he took the job in San Diego. A temporary and brief stop.

Don't get me wrong, I realize there aren't a lot of coaches who aspire to coach the rest of their lives in Ames, but I wouldn't mind getting one who would be happy being here for more than a couple recruiting classes.

I don't get the feeling that Harbaugh is this guy.
Having a "hot commodity" as our coach would be a nice problem to have as it means he'd had some success at ISU. After watching the replay of the "effort" given by our team at CU on Saturday, having so much success that other programs want our guy seems a million miles away.

I say we cross that bridge when we get there.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
I'm thinking we're going to see some attitude -- soon.

Too frequently we've had teams that had a too thin veneer of confidence. Adversity and bad calls seemed to get them hamstrung. We've seen less talented teams come close or even beat us because of attitude. Hopefully we are going to see a good dose soon.

I also hope that we like it. Usually teams with attitude alienate at least somebody and some manage to tick off everybody. Our "Good Guy" reputation may be at risk here. I'd guess that is a risk we would like to take. :sweet:

cyflyer

Apr 11, 2006
Waukee
Are people really surprised he'd have such an open contract at USD? It is a Div 1AA Non-scholarship school after all. Plus, a name like his for that school was enough for the school to just give him what he wanted. A small school like that is not going to lock a coach up in a contract with huge buy-outs and the such. You'll need to be atleast mid major to accomplish that. Most coaches looking to move up in Div 1AA at any level would balk at signing a contract at that level making it hard for them to move up.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
My biggest reservation about Harbough is his lack of proven recruiting ability. It's going to be a lot harder to draw kids to the corn and snow of Ames vs. the sunshine and beaches of San Diego. That said, he hasn't shown any indication that he can't recruit, so I remain optimistic that he will be able to do it well.

cyflyer

Apr 11, 2006
Waukee
My biggest reservation about Harbough is his lack of proven recruiting ability. It's going to be a lot harder to draw kids to the corn and snow of Ames vs. the sunshine and beaches of San Diego. That said, he hasn't shown any indication that he can't recruit, so I remain optimistic that he will be able to do it well.

The head coach is not the recruiter he's the guy that goes in the recruits house and seals the deal. The assts. are the recruiters. You have to hope Jim can surround himself with a quality staff and the assumption can be made he has the connections to do so.

NU Follower

Apr 14, 2006
I'll play devil's advocate here. Any up and coming coach is going to take a looooong look at what ISU has coming back(depth chart, OL/DL), and how quickly he thinks he can get it turned around. ISU has a lot of obstacles to overcome. Location, Tradition, Budget, 0-8 Big XII season, and Location especially when it comes to recruiting.

I think ISU will have a difficult time getting their top guy. It would be easier for a coach like Harbough to prove himself in the MAC than with ISU in the Big XII.

Just my 2 cents.

Later all

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I've been in the Brewster camp for a while but ya know what? I trust Pollard and if Harbaugh is Pollard's guy, why not? I have not problem with it. I'm sure Harbaugh can get it done.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This is great news. Anyone ever heard Harbaugh on Jim Rome? He's got a great personality, and from everything I have read about his teams, they are solid on both sides of the ball. And, as I said before, the hire would generate national buzz, and national attention to his progress. As far as staying, it is probably impossible to hire any coach without having the possibility of them leaving. Why would we expect them to stay forever, when they can be let go at the drop of the hat as well? If anything, it is the Cyclone community's job to make him want to stay here.

CyclonesRule

Apr 10, 2006
West Des Moines
I don't see why a lot of people are affraid to hire somebody like Harbaugh because he might leave for greener pastures(Michigan). So what if he does, we then have to hire somebody new. Iowa State probably isn't going to be the mecca of college football. I don't think we will be at the level of Ohio St, Michigan, USC, Florida, ect... put there isn't any reason we can't be a top 20-25 team year in and year out. If Harbaugh does end up at Michigan I have to think he is going to make a stop somewhere else between there and San Diego, so why not Iowa State. It sounds like to some, the only way we are going to get somebody that won't leave is to hire somebody like Mike Price or Bill Snyder. They'd probably retire before leaving to coach somewhere else.

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
How's this for a recruit?

number_button-11.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Josh Johnson[/FONT]

573728.jpeg

profile.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Class:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Junior[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Hometown:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Oakland, CA[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]High School:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Oakland Tech[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Height / Weight:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]6-3 / 195[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Position:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]QB[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Birthdate:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]05/15/1986[/FONT]

• 2006 Preseason All-American
  • 2005 First Team All-American (The Sports Network)
  • Offensive Back of the Year (Don Hansen's)
  • USD Team MVP
USD: Josh returns for his third year at USD... 2006 Preseason All-American (Sports Network)... Last year was First Team All-American (Sports Network) and Offensive Back of the Year (Don Hansen) after record-setting season... First Team All-PFL and team MVP completed 70.1% of his passes (260-371) for 3,256 yards and 36 touchdowns... Added 379 yards on the ground with 4 rushing TDs... Three-time PFL Offensive Player of the Week... Tied school-record with 7 TD passes at Valparaiso (all coming in 1st half)... Tossed 5 TDs on 24-37 passing for 375 yards in PFL Championship win over Morehead State... Totaled 8 games with 3 or more passing TDs... In 2004 was backup quarterback to Todd Mortensen and completed 12-of-22 passes for 135 yards.
High School: Prepped at Oakland Technical High School where he threw for 1,900 yards and 22 touchdowns with just two interceptions his senior season, leading his team to the Oakland Athletic League Championship... Earned First Team All-City, Oakland Chamber of Commerce Prep of the Month and Most Improved Player honors... Named Most Inspirational his junior year when he could not play due to injury... Lettered in basketball where he was named Honorable Mention... Also lettered in track, placing third in the Oakland Athletic League high jump with a jump of six feet, five inches.
Personal: Born on May 15, 1986 in Oakland, CA... Also recruited by St. Mary's and Idaho State... Chose USD for the opportunity to attend a good school and be a part of an excellent football program on the rise... Notes that football, school and video games are his life.
Major: Communications. Minor: Business Administration.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Without an o-line lets see how good he plays.

I think the key to any coach we hire is how good assistants they bring with them.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

He is an ex-NFL Pro Bowl QB. Name recognition alone will get players to consider Iowa State when they never would before.

We all questioned GMac's recruiting ability...how has that gone? :yes4lo:

Pollard will be looking for someone who can recruit!