Let's have a serious discussion about CPR

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
But are we giving up yards at the expense of getting pressure? We need to find a balance. Sacks don't mean crap when you get one and then turn around and give up 50 yard runs to a guy that runs like my 58 year old dad on the next play.

The same people that are saying "let's wait and see on Rhoads, derp" are the same ones that are absolutely convinced this defense is just so great based on 2 games, 1 of which we got beaten pretty badly in and the other of which was against an FCS team.

Beathard is hardly a statue.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Its simply pointing out that we are better defensively then we were last year, which was the original point I was arguing. Not saying we are going to be a top 25 defense this season, but we are undoubtedly better then last season.

Based on us having 9 sacks? Last year we gave up 373 yards/game...this year we've given up 389/game, and we've played a couple of doormats. You think that average is going to decline once we toe up against Big 12 teams?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Yeah, pointing out that we're 5th in sacks after two games against poor opponents shows how desperate we are to find something optimistic. A pretty meaningless statistic, especially at this point in the year; just two fewer sacks and we're tied with Kent State and Louisiana Lafayette...

I'll take the pressure and what comes with it, even the broken plays. I'll definitely take having to find a way to contain mobile guys escaping over letting guys sit back and chuck it.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Its simply pointing out that we are better defensively then we were last year, which was the original point I was arguing. Not saying we are going to be a top 25 defense this season, but we are undoubtedly better then last season.

???link???

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Based on us having 9 sacks? Last year we gave up 373 yards/game...this year we've given up 389/game, and we've played a couple of doormats. You think that average is going to decline once we toe up against Big 12 teams?

2011 and 2012 we gave up over 400 yards per game. Was last years defense better then those two defenses?

If you cant see the marketable improvement from this defense compared to last years defense, its not worth arguing with you.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
2011 and 2012 we gave up over 400 yards per game. Was last years defense better then those two defenses?

If you cant see the marketable improvement from this defense compared to last years defense, its not worth arguing with you.

Cyclones.TV. Click "Game Replays".

Ohh, the classic "watch the games" retort. Aka, "I can't offer any definitive evidence to support my claim that our defense is actually improved, so just trust my expert judgment on the matter".

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Ohh, the classic "watch the games" retort. Aka, "I can't offer any definitive evidence to support my claim that our defense is actually improved, so just trust my expert judgment on the matter".

Again, if you cant see it when your watching, its not worth arguing.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Clicked the linkand this is what I got:

There goes Beathard RUNNING for another 40+ yard gain to get out of the shadow of the goalposts against this highly improved ISU defense.

Again, not saying we are awesome on defense, saying we are improved. We were dead last in total defense last year, lets not forget that.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Again, not saying we are awesome on defense, saying we are improved. We were dead last in total defense last year, lets not forget that.

No need to link. We were ranked dead last in FBS in Total Defense last year. We're better defensively this season.

I get it. I agree by definition, we're better, but the "All hands on deck" crowd is trying to meld "better" with "good" to make their arguments and that don't fly with me man.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I get it. I agree by definition, we're better, but the "All hands on deck" crowd is trying to meld "better" with "good" to make their arguments and that don't fly with me man.

Feel free to go back and provide me with any instance of me mentioning we are a good football team. I was simply replaying to this...
Our defense is better this year?

Last year we gave up 275 yards to Iowa, this year 475.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
What are the next 2 weeks going to tell us that the past 2 YEARS hasn't told us?

If the more talented classes Iowa State recruited after the Big 12 was stabalized can improve.
If the 3-4 defense is going to improve.
If Mangino can figure out removed the clogged-toilet offense?

What good will it do to fire Rhoads mid season? Whatever replacement we want is probably coaching elsewhere right now.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
If the more talented classes Iowa State recruited after the Big 12 was stabalized can improve.
If the 3-4 defense is going to improve.
If Mangino can figure out removed the clogged-toilet offense?

What good will it do to fire Rhoads mid season? Whatever replacement we want is probably coaching elsewhere right now.

At 12 pages long, I don't blame you for not reading everything, but literally no one that I have seen is calling for his head mid season.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
At 12 pages long, I don't blame you for not reading everything, but literally no one that I have seen is calling for his head mid season.

That will come in two weeks when we're 1-4 with consecutive losses to Toledo and Kansas.